Lost the plot

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm feeling very despondent about my diabetes at the moment.
I was diagnosed 3 years ago and had good control for a while - I was following a low carb diet at the time. I lost some weight, but the down side of it was that my irritable bowel syndrome became uncontrollable. (Eggs, Meat & dairy are my triggers).
So I've tried various modified diets since, all of which have failed. My hba1c has crept up over time, and I'm now on metformin, Lixisenatide injections, and recently Gliclazide was added to the mix.
It's the Glic that has, well, ruined me. I was warned about the weight gain side effect, and I was so sure that wouldn't happen to me. I am very active, walk loads, and swim loads. Prior to starting on the glic, I was on a losing streak and was sort of happy with my weightloss progress... now I'm over a stone heavier, and I cannot control my cravings.
I feel sluggish, tired, and verging on a little bit of depression because I wake up ravenous, and spend most of the day pondering my next meal and I hate being so blooming obsessed with food.

I need to break out of this feeling, and need to take control once more. I also need to find a way to make low carb work with my dodgy digestion... any ideas?
Has anybody here managed to lose weight whilst on gliclazide, and if so, how? Any tips would be greatly received!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hello @luceeloo I'm sorry that you are having such a rough time, I have a similar problem to yourself but in my case I can't eat vegetables, pulses etc. I have been able to work out a way of eating that suits my gut, hope you can too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Sorry you are feeling like this, and i feel for you. It is terrible to feel boxed in by your own body, despite trying really hard. :(

Have a look in the vegetarian section of the forum. Not everyone who posts there is low carb, but there are some stunning menu and recipe suggestions that don't involve your food triggers.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm afraid Gliclazide and insulin will both result in weight gain if you have too many carbs; simples. The insulin in the blood they cause will convert any carbs to stored fat if there isn't an immediate need to burn them for energy. It is obviously difficult for you with IBS and you can't easily have the obvious proteins. I'm not sure there is an easy solution for you but one way or another you need to keep the carbs down and try to find other foods that don't conflict with your IBS. Can you have fish or other vegetable proteins? The Metformin should be helping and I assume you are on max dose and the SR version?

nirouleur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel sluggish, tired, and verging on a little bit of depression because I wake up ravenous, and spend most of the day pondering my next meal and I hate being so blooming obsessed with food.
Someone on another message reminded me that we are dealing with things which have addictive properties. These are symptoms of our addiction. I understand this well... I've become so focused on trying to change my diet that all I can think about is eating. And I manage one good meal, then fall back onto a bad one. I'm fantasising almost a day ahead in terms of what I'm eating, and it's rarely anything that would be encouraged.

I can't give you any advice about Gliclazide. I was started on it for a day or two by my hospital diabetic team, but my local nurse took me straight off it again in preference for a gliptin because of the weight side effects. Is that something you could pursue with your GP or diabetic nurse if you're concerned about the effects? Apologies if that's a stupid or obvious question, but just throwing it out there.

I'm trying to get a handle on what it means to be properly low-carb. I've tried one or two recipes so far to give me a foundation to build on, but frankly, they've been vile. So I continue to beat myself up about "failing", over and over again with the changes that I need to make. I do sense some exasperation on your part for the same reasons - would I be right? Maybe we just need to be a little gentler and accept we need to do this one baby step at a time. And hopefully get the right support along the way when we need it.

Reactions: 2 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your help and advice.
I realise now that I do things two ways: either gung ho, all guns blazing... or not at all. That's how I've approached my diet, and that's how I fail.
So using the advice here, I'm taking baby-steps. This week I have dumped bread, pasta, and potatoes, for butternut squash and quinoa. I've introduced more poultry - we had turkey thigh burgers tonight with a cheese and mushroom sauce. I think it's just about flavours and changing things about.
I did have eggs for lunch, but I'm regretting that! I'm still completely intolerant to them, but I had to try it out and see.

The other thing I've done is picked up some supplements that I used to take: Chromium, Cinnamon and Resveratrol. Already in a few days I've noticed that my cravings have disappeared. So, onwards and upwards! Thank you all!

Reactions: 2 people