Type 2 Life

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
During my 2 week low carb challenge, I did a lot of thinking, and I looked at a lot of my behaviour and so on... all I can tell you is, when I see McDs I want it... as soon as the thought hit my head, I want it like nothing else. The craving becomes unbearable. But I am also someone who sabotages my own success, the LCHF from dietdoctor wasn't the success I needed it to be and so I think I kinda said 'sod' it. Yesterday I felt so low that I made the biscuits just because I could. I feel so poorly today, I am on a day off. I feel sickly and so down in myself. Im disgusted with my inability to be in control of this.

Don't be so hard on yourself @paula.nolan42 however simple it may sound the lifestyle changes needed and following a strict diet isn't easy. Maybe just eat less carbs, rather than going full on. I found tracking them on My Fitness Pal helped me, you find out the carb content of everything easier. I've found my own treats now - lots of cheese with low carb biscuits and a glass of red wine! I'm also going to start making some cakes, @ewelina has a great blog.

Best of luck, it's good to have a moan - I did it last week when I feel off the wagon!

Reactions: 10 people

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, we all, I'm sure, get down days like that I'm sure....it isn't always easy. I fly through low carb days sometimes, cooking good, tasty, low carb food and really enjoy it but others I'm my own worst enemy....my weakness is thickly sliced buttered bread or toast dripping with butter. A slight saving grace of that is the butter does help keep the highs down a bit....
Don't beat yourself up about it (i know it's hard when you feel like cr*p) but make yourself somethin nice for lunch....cheesy scrambled egg with tomato maybe (3 eggs and mayb use cream instead of milk)
I can ignore feeling hungry but cravings are harder to beat. 're McD'd, make your own burger, fry some onions, slice some cheese and tomatoes put the hot onion s on top of cheese and tomatoes to melt it and serve on bed of lettuce....divine....I usually have two burgers
I agree with you, we all have our of days, but we can get back on track, I found some lovely 85% chocolate couple of weeks ago, so tempting so I avoid that shop now, once you open the packet so difficult to stop at a small piece!!!! I love ginger biscuits! Anythink sweet and naughty, so don't best ourself a up about it, just get back on track. Have a treat now and again good luck

Reactions: 4 people

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you mean about cravings, @paula.nolan42. My real weakness is crisps. Pork scratchings just aren't the same! And they are quite often in the house because the teenagers buy them even if I don't. Mind you, one they've opened a family sized bag there usually aren't any left after they've been at them!

I know a couple of people have suggested not having any "naughty" foods in the house so you can't be tempted, and that's great if it works for them and their families, but personally I don't think its fair or practical to impose unnecessary dietary restrictions on my children and husband just because I now choose not to eat certain things. So we have bread, biscuits, cereal etc in the house because they eat it (where do teenage boys put it all???). I just have to be very strongminded, which I'm not always.

I think the key thing is to think of it as a blip, not an all out failure. It's a small hiccup, not the end of the world. You have done really well, you will do really well tomorrow, you've just had one bad day.

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, hope you're all having a good day or at least better than yesterday.

@paula.nolan42

There is absolutely no need to feel disgusted with yourself, you're just normal. I'd like to meet the person who has never done anything that they know is relatively bad for them, even though it's soooo good and enjoyable at the time. I'll hold my hand up and say I've probably done that hundreds of times over the years and will keep on doing it, I'm human not perfect (although I insist to hubby that I am). Give yourself a break, enjoy the taste memory of it and make it last. Hope you're feeling better soon. Cwtches coming your way. Karen xx

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Like to have a treat, apple crumble, gonna use almond flour & oats but don't like sweeteners, anyone got any ideas pls? Hope everyone's ok, I've been having bad headaches and feeling very cold last few days , hope not coming down with anythink, tho I've felt very cold, shivering, since become diabetic, never felt cold before tho, confused, sitting with blanket wrapped around me now. Good day to you all, like the photo Liam, put the Epsom salts back in the cupboard!
@maureen5752 did I already suggest your thyroid needed checking? Just a thought. Hope you don't mind.

Reactions: 7 people
D

debrasue

Hi everyone, hope you're all having a good day or at least better than yesterday.

@paula.nolan42

There is absolutely no need to feel disgusted with yourself, you're just normal. I'd like to meet the person who has never done anything that they know is relatively bad for them, even though it's soooo good and enjoyable at the time. I'll hold my hand up and say I've probably done that hundreds of times over the years and will keep on doing it, I'm human not perfect (although I insist to hubby that I am). Give yourself a break, enjoy the taste memory of it and make it last. Hope you're feeling better soon. Cwtches coming your way. Karen xx
Cwtches? Is that like cwtchy-cwtchy under the chin? I LOVE them! :joyful:

Reactions: 6 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Phew! I've got a numb bum now - I got the latest Star Wars DVD for DS this afternoon and after him telling his friends about it online and me phoning mum it was rather late when we started watching it. Note to self - don't start watching a 2 and a half hour long film after 8 pm! Night all :)
Did you like it? I did even thou my sister and her hubby weren't impressed. I enjoyed it, in fact.

Reactions: 2 people

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@paula.nolan42 stop beating yourself up! We have all been there it is called "Eating cause I Ate" one slip and you fall off the wagon in a spectacular fashion. Just make your next meal BS friendly then take it one meal at a time xx

Busy day today.....I had an early morning meeting on the Isle of Gran for anyone who knows kent it is not the easiest place to get too!

Fasting 7.0 this morning And down to 5.8 when I got back to the house at 1:30.

Just had the mother of a hail storm here the graden was temporarily white!

Reactions: 5 people

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering cos someone else's used the word recently "cwtched up on the couch under a blanket'. Asked what she meant but she never replied

Also stands for snuggled/snuggling up, when used like that. One of my favourite words.

Reactions: 7 people

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maureen5752 did I already suggest your thyroid needed checking? Just a thought. Hope you don't mind.
Years ago doctor considered thyroid meds but I had liver problem which we never found out why, but they say my thyroid is ok now, was tested not so long ago. Probably old she just falling apart ha ha. See how things go if not I'll go see doctor again thanks for asking. Hope you and family are ok

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Years ago doctor considered thyroid meds but I had liver problem which we never found out why, but they say my thyroid is ok now, was tested not so long ago. Probably old she just falling apart ha ha. See how things go if not I'll go see doctor again thanks for asking. Hope you and family are ok
All good @maureen5752 . At my last bloods my thyroid was high but gp left meds as as he predicted its low again. Hum... just like my bgs. I'll mention mine tomorrow with dn. Keep warm and keep away from kelp or slimming aids. Kelp (seaweed) is full of iodine which can interfer with the thyroid. :)