Reactions: 7 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm disappointed with my spiralizer as the curly fries aren't but the courgetti is fine just bought a mandolin slicer as well bonus of having these gizmos is if you keep your BG meter to hand you don't need a lancet any more.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
rebel rebel you ate your chip
and 2 hours later you're blood sugars dipped
rebel rebel where did you go
to get those chips that keep your blood sugars low
( slightly plagiarised from bowie ) :D

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As a determinedly British person I must protest in the strongest terms about the use of the term "french fries" to describe the wonderful traditional British chip.

This is all a cunning plot by Left Pondians to hijack out beautiful language.
They describe a crescent shaped segment of deep fried potato as a "french fry" because they insist on calling circles of very thinly sliced potatoes fried until crisp as "potato chips" and not "crisps".

Anyway, don't get me started on the French and their total inability to fry chips to the high British standards.

I am proud to be able to go down to our local chippy, be it Indian, Chinese, or.....cough.....um......

Think I'll have a kebab instead.....

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Found this in bag of frozen chips when making sons dinner stats on displayed chip as follows

Length 6.5 inches
Dimension 1/2 inch square
Weight 51g
Carbs 21g

Now that's a big chip!
image.jpeg

S

Sable_Jan

hello

can you tell me please the carbs and calories of 1 chip / french fry?
I understand that 1 chip of McDonald's is different to 1 chip from Fish'n'Chips shop, as it's much thinner.
I would like data for the biggest possible chip.
I can't find any.

Also, I would like the same for crips and tortilla crips.
It will be that way much easier and accurate to track my calories and carbs.

Thanks!
Thinner chips absorb more fat due to additional surface area so I tend to go for these as the fat slows the release of the carbs. Also you are more likely to have a far lower carb content in a portion of McD French fries than in a portion of chips from a chippy (dinky box vs tray/carton)
If you were to test this yourself by using two similar weight potatoes and cut one into thick chips and one into fries.....
It's strange as my choice is the opposite these days from years back following a low calorie diet.
Hope I've explained myself clearly and it helps your understanding. Lent my daughter my GI & GL COUNTER book by Wynnie Chan so I can check but I think both types are in there

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Found this in bag of frozen chips when making sons dinner stats on displayed chip as follows

Length 6.5 inches
Dimension 1/2 inch square
Weight 51g
Carbs 21g

Now that's a big chip!
View attachment 18709
lol that would be some people's carb allowance for the whole day! :eek: I will remember this image next time I'm tempted by leftover chips. Thanks :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol that would be some people's carb allowance for the whole day! :eek: I will remember this image next time I'm tempted by leftover chips. Thanks :)
I know! I do a bit higher per day about about 90g but it is an eye opener - I didn't cook it as son wouldn't have eaten it - too big - he has autism and things have to be uniform on his plate! Lol - but I have in at the odd time in moments of weakness eaten a chip from his plate when clearing away - so yes it's a great visual for that as it certainly made me think - I know the laws say that eating a chip standing up from someone else's plate doesn't count but there's always a chance science is wrong isn't there?;)

Reactions: 4 people