Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

maneelyme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mine has only ever been below 10 whilst pregnant, usually 12-14, have been type 1 for 28 years and cant seem to get any control, no long term effects so cant be that bad!!!!!! :lol:
I'm exactly the same! HBA1c usually round 13 - 14 too. Only experienced 'normal' results during each of my 4 pregnancies. Have type 1 now for 27 years and just cant get a grip on it.

elenawing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very happy with my 43, going to try and work to get it below 42 next time but I'm really happy as I can officially start trying for a family :)

Reactions: 4 people

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
So my son had his fourth HbA1c since switching to the Omnipod and his is back down to 6.9 having been given an HbA1c of 7.2 in January. Three out of four on the pump have been given as 6.9.

A little odd, I expected better results in January and it was worse. I expected a higher figure in April as it had been quite an volatile period with background changing every few days up and down for about a month not helped by school entering zero carbs into the Omnipod meter at lunchtime and a wedding where we calculate carbs at more then he normally has in a day but it still wasn't enough.

Hoping to better 6.9 next time round. I have just started funding the libre and can see some rather large spikes which can can drop just as quickly and is then showing a higher average BG then being calculated by 9/10 BG test.

So far the libre does seem to be over exaggerate the spikes into double figures when comparing to BG's by 2 or 3 mmol so I am optimistic that it isn't as high as the libre is suggesting even if it is higher then the average BG figures.

With the aid of the libre I am hoping to reduce the spikes and the hypos and by the nature of this improve the next HbA1c in July.

Last edited by a moderator:

RuffsTheShake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
5.6% which to be honest I wasn't expecting... I guess I had the blood taken just before I got sick so my next one probably won't be so good : /. My endo kept pressing me about hypos, have I ever passed out etc etc but I actually have had a lot less hypos then the last period and have never passed out but maybe I am hypoing whilst sleeping. Can't wait until the libre is available in Australia : )

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
down from 48 to 45 after being on the pump for 5 1/2 month, better than what I was expecting

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
So far I've had two Hb1Ac tests the first about two years ago was 54 that is 7.1% the second about 18 months ago was 64 that is 8% I then have no idea what my blood sugars were doing till I was actually diagnosed last December and bought a meter will have another in the near future when I can work up the energy to make an appointment with DN.

holmroad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.
Unnecessary obesity.
I had my 6 monthly visit to the local diabetic clinic and was told my current HBA1c is at 40 (new) and think that's 6.4 mmol/l - so we were all most happy about that!
I have been slowly coming down this past three years from 7.1 mmol/l to 6.4 which is very acceptable!
I have also been told that at 73 I don't really need to improve on that, partly to avoid hypos, although I do still get the occasional one!
I take Novorapid analogue insulin three time during the daytime and Levemir at night, on the Basal Bolus Regimen, having been diagnosed at 27 years old in 1970!!

samantha13

77 or 9.2% latest result in April. Review in 6 months I WILL BE MUCH LOWER. My overall aim atm is to get as close to 48 or 6.5% as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

roger_hornsby

I'm new here but not so new to type 1. I've been diagnosed for 10 years now.

What I am a bit shocked by are those of you who say you have hba1c levels of 4-5%! I'm really shocked. My tests have never been below 8, and in the last few years are more like 11-12%. I don't see how it can be done.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm new here but not so new to type 1. I've been diagnosed for 10 years now.

What I am a bit shocked by are those of you who say you have hba1c levels of 4-5%! I'm really shocked. My tests have never been below 8, and in the last few years are more like 11-12%. I don't see how it can be done.
Mostly it takes hard work and a lot of monitoring. I'm a 5.9%er and to get there required a) a freestyle Libre and b) Sugar surfing. That was down from 7.2% two years ago, which was in my lifelong range of 7-7.5.

It required understanding changes in timing of insulin, how exercise worked and a whole lot more.

I have a theory that the more beta cells you have, the easier it is, but it is all about managing yourself.

roger_hornsby

Mostly it takes hard work and a lot of monitoring. I'm a 5.9%er and to get there required a) a freestyle Libre and b) Sugar surfing. That was down from 7.2% two years ago, which was in my lifelong range of 7-7.5.

It required understanding changes in timing of insulin, how exercise worked and a whole lot more.

I have a theory that the more beta cells you have, the easier it is, but it is all about managing yourself.

I would agree with the 'lot of monitoring'. Unfortunately for me, the lessons I learn seem to need revision every year or two, and the biggest lesson was that carb-counting alone is useless.

I guess since I don't know what a 'libre' or 'sugar surfing' are, there may be some research on this as well. I also note many people seem to do some variant of low carb here.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: What are your H test results?

Mine was recently 6.6%. Been diabetic for the last 21 years and so far never higher than 7.3%
Do you have any tips for those of us who are struggling to reach anything below 7.8%? What food do you eat and how often do you test? Thank you!

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mine has only ever been below 10 whilst pregnant, usually 12-14, have been type 1 for 28 years and cant seem to get any control, no long term effects so cant be that bad!!!!!! :lol:
Mine is 7.8 and they have advised me against trying for a baby! Did you have any compications or issues with pregnancies? Is it really bad, if I fall pregnant now?

amackey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do find A1c's fascinating. I just got my latest which was 48 or 6.5% in old money, down from 53. This is despite struggling for the last month because of illness so I just wasnt expecting this. Last time I was expecting much better so was very disappointed.

My best in recent memory was 5.2% achieved through basically a near zero carb diet. Funny story with that is when I rang my doctor's surgery for the results I was told it was negative. When I quizzed that the admin said it is in normal range so you dont have it. :) if only.

I do think it is a lot of hard work to achieve low results but insulin pumps and some form of CGM really help. The reports from my libre were spot on in predicting my A1c this time round. Having realtime data allows you to react and it seems that if a high is treated quickly it doesnt really affect A1c.

For me A1c is just one indicator, it gets huge attention because it is really the only independent indicator a clinic has but Ambulotory profile or daily patterns is almost better as it shows the patterns smoothing what life throws at you. With this info which I know is hard to get with a CGM it is easier to make medium to long term changes which make most impact.

maisiepug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
idiots who think they know everything but they really know nothing
Mine was 7 last week up from 6.5 6 months ago, but I was expecting a lot higher so was pleasantly surprised, I have not been behaving at all and have been rebelling against everything diabetes wise, eating a rubbish diet, mainly cookies, bread potatoes the lot so for the levels to have only gone up a relatively small amount amazes me. In some ways I was hoping it would be a lot higher to kick start me back into healthier eating, can see problems coming up, oh dear.