Muesli

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I eat porridge with half milk and half water with no additions, no sugar or honey or anything and it's in an exact portion. I'm very satisfied with this. But now it's warmer weather I'd like to eat muesli. At the moment I'm eating Alpen. Can you tell me hoe much in grams I should eat for portion control and is Alpen the best for low GI and sugar? Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I eat porridge with half milk and half water with no additions, no sugar or honey or anything and it's in an exact portion. I'm very satisfied with this. But now it's warmer weather I'd like to eat muesli. At the moment I'm eating Alpen. Can you tell me hoe much in grams I should eat for portion control and is Alpen the best for low GI and sugar? Thanks
The best thing to do is to spend 10 minutes in the supermarket looking through the packages of muesli to see which has the lowest carb content..do you test after the porridge and does it raise your sugars a lot?

EdMac

One of the issues with shop bought muesli is the use of dried milk powder which drives up the sugar content. You can get apps for a smartphone which have bar code scanners and provide a nutritional breakdown of a huge range of food products. Personally having done, several times, what @bulkbiker suggested I've come to the conclusion that cereals and muesli are to be avoided.

And a lot of what you find on the cereal shelf has to be so heavily processed to give it any shelf life that by the time they've finished it has zero nutritional value. So it is then "fortified with added vitamins". If they didn't do that you might as well be eating the box it came in.

I've wondered about porridge and the difference between whole oats and rolled (sliced and flattened) oats. but never experimented since I've given up eating breakfast.

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the issues with shop bought muesli is the use of dried milk powder which drives up the sugar content. You can get apps for a smartphone which have bar code scanners and provide a nutritional breakdown of a huge range of food products. Personally having done, several times, what @bulkbiker suggested I've come to the conclusion that cereals and muesli are to be avoided.

And a lot of what you find on the cereal shelf has to be so heavily processed to give it any shelf life that by the time they've finished it has zero nutritional value. So it is then "fortified with added vitamins". If they didn't do that you might as well be eating the box it came in.

I've wondered about porridge and the difference between whole oats and rolled (sliced and flattened) oats. but never experimented since I've given up eating breakfast.
I would agree with EdMac that porridge and muesli are very likely no-nos for me so I don't eat them. I don't have breakfast ever and find it the easiest meal to miss out completely.. so I do.

Reactions: 2 people