Running with T2D

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone else here do running? I run but am finding it very hard. I've been doing it now for a year and so no advice on gradually building up please just strictly T2D related. Do my muscles work as they should because I'm finding myself in pain when i run, no injuries or strains as it goes away after the run. I'm on metformin and no insulin injections so hopefully simple to answer. I eat three meals a day which are low GI. Muesli before the run and plenty of water throughout.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only quote my DN who said that marathon runners and road diggers can eat what they like. I took this to mean that if you are going to actually use up the energy provided by glucose then you didn't have to be so strict about LC and low GI. It's question of matching input to output.

Reactions: 3 people

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I run, but have been using the gym for over 6 years, in a previous life (1980's) I ran marathons. This weekend I did my first Parkrun of 5km. I have not found it any harder post diagnosis, indeed since i have shed 2 shopping bags of weight it is easier if anything. I find that aches and pains only present themselves if I have pushed myself. Either a short sprint, or jogging further distances than before.This is basically slight muscle tear, and believe or not is a good thing. The muscles repair even stronger. If however you are in unbearable pain after a run, either cut back both speed and distance, or if you are needing painkillers please consult you Dr. There might be some other underlying problem not related to T2D.

I have heard that Metformin can inhibit the processing of lactic acid, a build up of that in the muscles makes it very hard to carry on.
https://www.drugwatch.com/actos/lactic-acidosis.php

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It could it be Lactic Acid build up. Metformin can cause Lactic Acidosis which will cause pain in muscles while exercising that goes off after activity is finished.

"Some drugs, including metformin, a drug used to treat diabetes, and all nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI) drugs used to treat HIV/AIDS can cause lactic acidosis. If you are on any of these medications and have any symptoms of lactic acidosis, get medical help immediately."

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done for the running - I hate running! How is the motivation going?

EdMac

I've been doing it now for a year and so no advice on gradually building up please just strictly T2D related. Do my muscles work as they should because I'm finding myself in pain when i run, no injuries or strains as it goes away after the run.
When I used to do training runs it would be common to be in a lot of pain, but jogging not so. Some questions might help identify if this is natural muscle fatigue or a problem:

- You've been doing it for a year so has the pain always been there?
- Is the pain there every single run?
- Where is the pain is it in your legs or your torso?
- How far into the run does the pain start?
- How long after the run does the pain stop?
- Does the pain vary depending on the pace or the distance of your run?
- On a scale of 1 (just noticeable) to 10 (have to stop activity) how intense is the pain?

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate running!

Me too , but had resigned myself to it (well walking miles a day to start :() after diagnosis but found it difficult to keep up, anyway I have always lifted ,so looked online to find the information sketchy with a lot of sources saying that it should be cardio (aerobic) type exercise for diabetics but found some sources (many thru this site) that said any exercise is good , so modified my usual weights routine to be higher rep , more sets and shorter rest periods to give my workouts a higher aerobic element, ( try a set of 20 rep breathing squats :***: ) and also upped the frequency to 3/4 or even 5 times a week............

Seems to be working well for me, IMO its best to find something that works and that you like doing as you will be much more likely to stick with it....:)