Idiopathic postprandial syndrome

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
During my research on how insulin affects the endocrine system.
I found this on a few medical sites, sorry, can't do the link thing!

This describes a collection of clinical symptoms similar to medical Hypoglycaemia but without the demonstrably low blood glucose, which characterises said condition.
Patients with the condition suffer from recurrent episodes of altered mood and cognitive efficiency, often accompanied by weakness and adrengic symptoms such as snarkiness. The episodes typically occur a few hours after a meal, rather than many hours after fasting.
The principal treatment recommended are extra small meals or snacks and avoidance of excessive simple sugars and carbohydrates.
The syndrome resembles Reactive Hypoglycaemia except that low glucose levels are not found at the time of symptoms.
This syndrome is not to be ascribed or diagnosed as 'carb flu' when reducing carbohydrates in diets.

Adrengenic postprandial syndrome.

The glycaemic is normal, and the symptoms are caused through autonomic counterregulation. Often this syndrome is associated with emotional distress and anxiety of the patient.

Just when I thought things couldn't get more complicated. The lesson for me, is, the more you look, the more you find!
Bloody interesting though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fascinating, thank you @nosher8355 !
I wonder if this is relevant to @Kaz261 ?

Do you know how to cut and paste?
In order to insert a link (and I would LOVE to see your links)
All you do is:
1 go to the page you want to link to
2 left click in the www.xxxxxx address area at the top (this will highlight the whole address)
3 right click in the address area (this will produce a drop down box with a list of options)
4 left click on the 'copy' option
5 go to the page you want to insert the link and place your cursor where you want the link to go
6 right click (another dropdown box will open)
7 left click on the 'paste' option

When you Post Reply, the link will be in your post

Hope that helps (cos I am not always around to help you out! lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Fascinating, thank you @nosher8355 !
I wonder if this is relevant to @Kaz261 ?

Do you know how to cut and paste?
In order to insert a link (and I would LOVE to see your links)
All you do is:
1 go to the page you want to link to
2 left click in the www.xxxxxx address area at the top (this will highlight the whole address)
3 right click in the address area (this will produce a drop down box with a list of options)
4 left click on the 'copy' option
5 go to the page you want to insert the link and place your cursor where you want the link to go
6 right click (another dropdown box will open)
7 left click on the 'paste' option

When you Post Reply, the link will be in your post

Hope that helps (cos I am not always around to help you out! lol)

I've tried, and tried to cut and paste, download, upload, you name it, I've tried!
I tried last night to do the process from the mayo clinic, but it just won't happen.

It's probably me!

When I get time with my grandkids, ill get them to teach me, again!:rolleyes::mad::(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
During my research on how insulin affects the endocrine system.
I found this on a few medical sites, sorry, can't do the link thing!

This describes a collection of clinical symptoms similar to medical Hypoglycaemia but without the demonstrably low blood glucose, which characterises said condition.
Patients with the condition suffer from recurrent episodes of altered mood and cognitive efficiency, often accompanied by weakness and adrengic symptoms such as snarkiness. The episodes typically occur a few hours after a meal, rather than many hours after fasting.
The principal treatment recommended are extra small meals or snacks and avoidance of excessive simple sugars and carbohydrates.
The syndrome resembles Reactive Hypoglycaemia except that low glucose levels are not found at the time of symptoms.
This syndrome is not to be ascribed or diagnosed as 'carb Roy's when reducing carbohydrates in diets.

Adrengenic postprandial syndrome.

The glycaemic is normal, and the symptoms are caused through autonomic counterregulation. Often this syndrome is associated with emotional distress and anxiety of the patient.

Just when I thought things couldn't get more complicated. The lesson for me, is, the more you look, the more you find!
Bloody interesting though!

Hi noshy, what do you mean by the red bit I have highlighted in the quote? 'Carb Roys' ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D aha! makes more sense now!

Maybe that applies to @Kaz261 too...
Although I may be drawing a conclusion too far, Kaz, so apologies if I am. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Share prices can go up as well as down, your home is at risk if you do not keep up mortgage payments on it, look left, look right before crossing the road and as many other warnings as you can think of.

I have no idea how good this Wiki page is, as I know nothing of the syndrome, but here goes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_postprandial_syndrome

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting Nosher and suggest away Brun, I really don't mind!

You could be on to something. I've just had an "episode" before lunch. Shaking, irritable and a bit sweaty and my level was 5.0 and steady on the Libra and 4.9 on my codefree. Neither are levels which should induce those symptoms. I was around 20-30 mins late having lunch, but wasn't feeling particularly hungry.

I have been feeling funny all morning again and am probably a little anxious about my blood pressure (I can't help it, stressing is what I do best these days!). I've also been for my CBT this morning which means talking about my fears and anxieties which in itself can cause anxiety! All good fun eh?!!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I actually didn't think of you Kaz, it was something I found when looking through some medical reports / papers concerning RH.
I thought others would find it interesting!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually didn't think of you Kaz, it was something I found when looking through some medical reports / papers concerning RH.
I thought others would find it interesting!

I know I have RH as the prolonged GTT confirmed it, but I do get symptoms when I'm not technically at hypo levels. Still interesting

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, I thought as much!
Notwithstanding the diagnosis, if you you read further on that Wikipedia page, the treatment for it, is remarkably similar to RH.
Eat regularly, very low carb etc!

Go figure!

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonder if I have this too? Same levels as Kaz!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Wonder if I have this too? Same levels as Kaz!

Don't rule anything out, always keep an open mind, they are very similar conditions.
And the treatment is exactly the same.
Until you get confirmation on your diagnosis!
Kaz has had the tests and diagnosed as RH, as she has had the hypos!
Kaz has the symptoms of hypos at higher levels than me.
Kaz, I think, has quicker spikes than me.
So, we are not the same in symptoms, don't think definitively, think it's doesn't matter, except how to feel better.

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, just waiting for lots of tests to start....we try to find answers because as you say the unknown is worst! Taking day by day, some are easier than others

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Totally agree!
Not knowing is worst!
You are where you are and you have to get through it!

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, and hiding under the covers......thank goodness for Xanax - I know not very brave

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I have often wondered if I really have rh as I rairly drop low but I do spike high with carbs and it may be I just miss the lows or my low setting is higher than others,need to get m new libre sensor sorted

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I can make out, you drop low because you produce too much insulin. But others are experts in this field, I'm a newbie with a hosts of tests coming up tomorrow....

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I can make out, you drop low because you produce too much insulin. But others are experts in this field, I'm a newbie with a hosts of tests coming up tomorrow....

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app
Good luck with your tests @Alicki !