Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Today visiting my GP he switched me from Simvastatin to Atorvastatin

Is anyone on Atorvastatin and if so how do you find it?

Been on Simvastatin for 10 years +

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep I take Atorvastatin ... for past 4 months. No adverse effects, take just before bed - just taken :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby was on it. He stopped taking it last summer after reading all the stuff I gave him about statins. However, when he was on it he found it difficult to sleep. The GP said statins can cause this so advised him to take it in the mornings to see it it helped. It did. A bit. (lol) He didn't have any known side effects after 4 years of taking it.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yep I take Atorvastatin ... for past 4 months. No adverse effects, take just before bed - just taken :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Thanks for this Penfold

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I have been on them for five years with no adverse effects.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I was changed to Astorvastin a couple of months ago from the Simvastatin that I had been taking for about 8 years which had kept my cholesterol stable. At my last blood test my cholesterol had risen so my doctor thought changing to Astorvastatin may help to lower it again. I have not had any side effects from it so far

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on simvastatin but I stopped taking it because of aches and pains - my cholesterol went up to 6.4 but ratios were fine - GP put me on Astrovastatin and asked me for a blood test a month later - 2 days after the blood test he called me to tell me to stop the Astrovastatin immediately and that he had booked me a liver scan! - my liver count had gone haywire - 4 weeks after stopping it my liver was back to where it had been before the Astrovastatin - with GPs agreement I no longer take statins as my ratios were ok I don't really agree with all the stuff that we should be 4 because I'm diabetic.

I now take lecithin capsules and plant sterols from H&B - a little expensive but I buy them in the penny sales they have - my last cholesterol was 5.4 ratios fine.

Don't mean to scare you, your experience could very well be different as lots of others have said but I just think the more opinions you have the better decision you can make

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes I was changed to Astorvastin a couple of months ago from the Simvastatin that I had been taking for about 8 years which had kept my cholesterol stable. At my last blood test my cholesterol had risen so my doctor thought changing to Astorvastatin may help to lower it again. I have not had any side effects from it so far

Thank you pinkorchid

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was on simvastatin but I stopped taking it because of aches and pains - my cholesterol went up to 6.4 but ratios were fine - GP put me on Astrovastatin and asked me for a blood test a month later - 2 days after the blood test he called me to tell me to stop the Astrovastatin immediately and that he had booked me a liver scan! - my liver count had gone haywire - 4 weeks after stopping it my liver was back to where it had been before the Astrovastatin - with GPs agreement I no longer take statins as my ratios were ok I don't really agree with all the stuff that we should be 4 because I'm diabetic.

I now take lecithin capsules and plant sterols from H&B - a little expensive but I buy them in the penny sales they have - my last cholesterol was 5.4 ratios fine.

Don't mean to scare you, your experience could very well be different as lots of others have said but I just think the more opinions you have the better decision you can make

I am glad you posted this info lovinglife
Thank you

Reactions: 2 people

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I have taken atorvastatin and simvastatin (changed for financial reasons only,) for the last 20 years since 1995. I made a fully informed decision to commence these, and I am still glad that I did. Dyslipidaemia much improved. No side effects so far. Diabetes diagnosed 2005, but I do have two first degree relatives with type two, diagnosed before and after me.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
@Cumberland @Moderator
Would it be possible to correct the title spelling please.
It is not showing up on searches due to the malposition of the r. Thanks.

Hope I haven't offended you with this request @Cumberland? Struma

Edit: Sorry, I am unable to tag @Moderator in red.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have taken atorvastatin and simvastatin (changed for financial reasons only,) for the last 20 years since 1995. I made a fully informed decision to commence these, and I am still glad that I did. Dyslipidaemia much improved. No side effects so far. Diabetes diagnosed 2005, but I do have two first degree relatives with type two, diagnosed before and after me.

Thank you for your reply Struma

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Cumberland @Moderator
Would it be possible to correct the title spelling please.
It is not showing up on searches due to the malposition of the r. Thanks.

Hope I haven't offended you with this request @Cumberland? Struma

Edit: Sorry, I am unable to tag @Moderator in red.

I'm glad you got the mod to change it
No problem

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I have been taking Atorvastatin for 10+ years. Not had any side effects whatsoever and my Cholesterol has always been just under 4.

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
I've been on Atorvastatin for just under a year. My last 6 monthly diabetic review showed my cholesterol was down and the nurse was no longer worried. If it stays down they are either going to reduce the dosage or take me off of them. Can't say that I've had any side effects, but in the grand scheme of things it's still early days for me

Reactions: Liam1955

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on Atorvastatin for just under a year. My last 6 monthly diabetic review showed my cholesterol was down and the nurse was no longer worried. If it stays down they are either going to reduce the dosage or take me off of them. Can't say that I've had any side effects, but in the grand scheme of things it's still early days for me

Hi there, can you tell us your cholesterol numbers and breakdown before you were put on statins and what your results are now?, this can be interesting for us, thank you.