Finaly I dont have to suffer my cauli rice failures

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I know its easy to make etc etc :¬)

I cant cook this stuff, it always ends up like watery cauliflower tasting stodge :¬)
not to mention the mess I make and the utensils I have to clean up (I fail at that too)

Anyways I found https://www.caulirice.com/uk/product/original-cauli-rice/
I have ordered some and will feed back here how i find it
3g carbs per 100g so 6g per pack

the flavoured versions are a bit bad though added sugars and stuff boost the carbs to 12g a pack so its a no go

all appendages crossed here :¬)

Reactions: 2 people

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love it got a bit of taste with it

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I know its easy to make etc etc :¬)

I cant cook this stuff, it always ends up like watery cauliflower tasting stodge :¬)
not to mention the mess I make and the utensils I have to clean up (I fail at that too)

Anyways I found https://www.caulirice.com/uk/product/original-cauli-rice/
I have ordered some and will feed back here how i find it
3g carbs per 100g so 6g per pack

the flavoured versions are a bit bad though added sugars and stuff boost the carbs to 12g a pack so its a no go

all appendages crossed here :¬)

I found my cauliflower rice metamorphosed when I either roasted it, or fried with a tiny bit of oil, in a wok. The food processor makes tidy work of all that grating nonsense too! I tend to rice a whole cauli, then save the remains in a Tupperware in the fridge. It works for me.

Any introduction of moisture would be catastrophe, I reckon.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found my cauliflower rice metamorphosed when I either roasted it, or fried with a tiny bit of oil, in a wok. The food processor makes tidy work of all that grating nonsense too! I tend to rice a whole cauli, then save the remains in a Tupperware in the fridge. It works for me.

Any introduction of moisture would be catastrophe, I reckon.
completely agree on the oven roasting.. maybe with a bit of parmesan grated over the top too for extra cheesy goodness.. haven't tried stir fried yet but don't have a food processor so get cauliflower all over the kitchen with my grater..!

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all ahh!!!
I've been a bit stupid i think, I used frozen/thawed cauliflower before I think my main problem To much moisture=strodge

My cauli rice turned up - use by date april/2017 - bonus
ill try steak and cauli rice tonight and report back
managed to source some tinned spinach too

:¬)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all ahh!!!
I've been a bit stupid i think, I used frozen/thawed cauliflower before I think my main problem To much moisture=strodge

My cauli rice turned up - use by date april/2017 - bonus
ill try steak and cauli rice tonight and report back
managed to source some tinned spinach too

:¬)
Step away from the Frozen cauli, unless you,just want to lightly steam, then eat it in florets. Fresh is your friend for so many of these recipes.

What are you hoping for from canned spinach you won't achieve by sweating it? I use a wide based frying pan and start on a low heat. That spinach in contacts with the pan wilts very quickly, releasing moisture. Once that has happened, I mix the pan content around to refresh what's in contact with the pan itself. Once it's all just wilted, I turn the heat up and evaporate as much water as I want to be rid of. That's extremely quick.

If you want to achieve drier from frozen, then I think the same would work.

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Step away from the Frozen cauli, unless you,just want to lightly steam, then eat it in florets. Fresh is your friend for so many of these recipes.

What are you hoping for from canned spinach you won't achieve by sweating it? I use a wide based frying pan and start on a low heat. That spinach in contacts with the pan wilts very quickly, releasing moisture. Once that has happened, I mix the pan content around to refresh what's in contact with the pan itself. Once it's all just wilted, I turn the heat up and evaporate as much water as I want to be rid of. That's extremely quick.

If you want to achieve drier from frozen, then I think the same would work.

I can now see where I am going wrong ty for all the info :¬)
I am so useless at cooking - its about time I stopped making excuses and learned :¬)

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok made some of that microwave "cauli rice" I was so hopeful about and...

Sadly for me they replaced the cauliflower smell with something that smells very weird to my nose :¬(
Tastes fine but cant eat bad smelling stuff dang nabbit

Also the tinned spinach I purchased and it stinks like a weird chemicals as well - so that's a no go too hehe

So there is nothing for it I need to buy a blender and learn to cook
BOUT FLIPPING TIME :¬) I'm a lazy sausage
There are no short cuts/ready meals to LCHF

Thanks all for reading byee

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
S
I can now see where I am going wrong ty for all the info :¬)
I am so useless at cooking - its about time I stopped making excuses and learned :¬)
o many of these things are so simple, and some things we have learned from each other. I used to go through such a faffff with spinach it took all the pleasure out of eating it, until someone gave me the tip I posted to you. They did their initial sweating in a little butter, but provided the heat is low, and the pan non-stick, the butter is completely optional.

Do try the fresh cauli in the wok. It works wonderfully!

I've also expanded our spice rack enormously with spices and rubs. It's amazing what a shake of something can do to something otherwise bland. Whilst I haven't specifically tried it, yet, I'm thinking of the Pilau spices to go with Indian dishes, or crumbled up pre-cooked bacon (even the ready done stuff from M&S) for a salty hit.

The cauli rice doesn't take long at all, so anything you intend to add should be prepared in advance or it may not have long enough to cook with the cauli.

Get your creating hat on, old thing!

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Steaming my cauli rice is probably what I'm doing wrong. I will try frying it instead to get rid of the water instead of adding.

I did find that frozen cauliflower made good cauli mash. Needed cheese but i like cheese.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ok made some of that microwave "cauli rice" I was so hopeful about and...

Sadly for me they replaced the cauliflower smell with something that smells very weird to my nose :¬(
Tastes fine but cant eat bad smelling stuff dang nabbit

Also the tinned spinach I purchased and it stinks like a weird chemicals as well - so that's a no go too hehe

So there is nothing for it I need to buy a blender and learn to cook
BOUT FLIPPING TIME :¬) I'm a lazy sausage
There are no short cuts/ready meals to LCHF

Thanks all for reading byee
I use those Cauli Rice pouches, the Indian Pilau variety. I find it is better not to microwave it, but to fry it with a little coconut oil (and spices if you like). Frying dries it more so you don't get that offputting smell.
I haven't tried making my own yet but will do at some point. I do have a food processor.
Tesco does a 'Cauliflower Couscous' which is cheaper than the Cauli Rice:
couscous.jpg

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I tried some of the Tesco Cauliflower couscous last night, the rest of it is now in the bin !!!!! :yuck:

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a fresh cauli boil as usual strain then put back into the pan over the heat and keep it moving for a few mins, dries the cauli out perfectly,.......... tip I had via the hairy bikers for spuds years ago, works just as well with any veg.......

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit late to this particular party, but why is frozen cauli no good for 'ricing'?
I'm loving cauli-rice - I had a Chinese at the weekend and used cauli instead of normal rice. My bloods only raised by 2.1 :happy:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit late to this particular party, but why is frozen cauli no good for 'ricing'?
I'm loving cauli-rice - I had a Chinese at the weekend and used cauli instead of normal rice. My bloods only raised by 2.1 :happy:
It's too wet - anyhow you can spiralize your own now;)

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh p00, :( I've got a bag in my freezer, which I roast, was hoping to rice it.
Spiralize it? That would make a right old mess! :hilarious:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do it all the time - just make sure you've got a big bowl lol