Quitting smoking

hisjen84

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I quit smoking at the beginning of March but have found recently I have started to have the odd cigarette and it's a hard habit to break! What are people's thoughts on e cigarettes do they have an effect on diabetes and effecting blood sugar levels?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't seem to have an affect on my BGL. But it's been a long time since I've used one.

Grant

Just Jeff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics, Football.
Ex-smoker here.
I use a E-cig, but I also limit my usage. I tend to leave it until I'm really strung out and about to climb the wall.
Most I have is two or three puffs. I have a VIP Skystorm AM10 Silver Kit, and not one of those things that make you look like an old steam train.
https://www.vipelectroniccigarette.co.uk/#

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I quit smoking at the beginning of March but have found recently I have started to have the odd cigarette and it's a hard habit to break! What are people's thoughts on e cigarettes do they have an effect on diabetes and effecting blood sugar levels?

My opinion on quitting, (having quit a few times), It only counts as "quittting" if you never light up again. Ever. I finally quit for keeps 15 years ago. I still have dreams that I light one up, just to see what will happen, and I end up hooked again.

My opinion: If you manage to give up the habit, don't believe for one second that you can just smoke now and then. Eventually you will be addicted again.

As far as its effect on diabetes goes... I couldn't say for sure. But I would guess that quitting smoking might make you more likely to eat stuff that you shouldn't... just out of crankiness, if nothing else.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My opinion: If you manage to give up the habit, don't believe for one second that you can just smoke now and then. Eventually you will be addicted again.
Agree completely. Happened just that way for me about 3 times and delayed my final quit date by quite a few years.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I couldn't comment on smoking with diabetes, but I can comment on smoking in general.

Giving up smoking is one of the most important things you can do for your health. It's impacts in vascular health can be huge, irrespective of diabetes.

Good luck with it. I understand it's a very difficult thing to give up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still have dreams that I light one up, just to see what will happen, and I end up hooked again.
I get those as well, even though it must be 8 or 9 years since I quit. I wonder how common it is.

Can't comment on what smoking does to blood sugar, but there is actually sugar in the filter - I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

@hisjen84 If it helps, I never really managed to quit by deciding "that's it, I quit!". What I told myself was " I don't really fancy one right now", resisted the odd one, and spent less time in situations where I would smoke just out of habit. After a while, it was longer and longer since I'd last had one, and only after some time did I really think of myself as an ex-smoker and stop carrying baccy and a lighter everywhere.

That was the thing for me - it wasn't 'I don't NEED a smoke' (will power), it was 'I don't want one just now' (a choice, even though I knew I was telling myself a fib just to change my mindset).

Hopefully I don't sound like a preachy ex-smoker. I know at the time I found myself getting a bit 'holier than thou' a few times and suddenly had to bite my tongue.

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
I couldn't comment on smoking with diabetes, but I can comment on smoking in general.

Giving up smoking is one of the most important things you can do for your health. It's impacts in vascular health can be huge, irrespective of diabetes.

Good luck with it. I understand it's a very difficult thing to give up.
All very true

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience was the same as @CapnGrumpy so that I told myself "not just now" or "I'll have one when I finish this .." I still have a pack & lighter in a kitchen drawer, and I know that I can have a ciggy anytime I want - but I choose not to. For me, it was always the "can't have" aspect that was my downfall when trying to quit previously, so that way I know that I can have one whenever I want! Silly, I know, but it works for me. I have now not had a cigarette for 18 months, and I will always think of myself as an ex-smoker, and not a non-smoker. I don't think about cigarettes at all now, except - only the other day, I turned to my side table absentmindedly, and realised I was turning to pick up my ciggy packet !! where did that come from? why? I hadn't been thinking of a cigarette before. It was just the habit that resurrected itself from nowhere. That taught me a lesson; that there's always danger lurking around.

I have no idea what ecigarettes do to blood sugar or diabetes, but I'm guessing they must be better than the real thing. Perhaps a conversation with your GP or diabetes nurse may clarify what impact they can have on different people, or maybe the clinic smoking adviser.

I wish you all the best for your success,

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
Ive use an Ecig for a year now on and off , not noticed any change in my test levels at all.

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped smoking 2 years ago with a vape. Used high oil for 6 months....medium for 6 months then low for the last year. No effect on blood sugars or blood pressure. If i suck on it constant it raises my heart rate a bit. But...never think about smoking real cigarettes anymore so it works for me.

You might find that if u have an ecig or a vape when ur cravin it will stop u reaching for the real thing which is more detrimental to ur health.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

EdMac

and I know that I can have a ciggy anytime I want - but I choose not to. For me, it was always the "can't have"
Exactly what worked for me too. Telling myself I could smoke whenever I wanted - provided I REALLY wanted to is what made it easy not to. Nothing will command your attention more than forbidden fruit. If you make a fully congruent commitment to choosing when to smoke - provided you are aware of all the good reasons not to - it'll be surprising how often you choose not to. And then gradually...

I've chosen to smoke a handful of times in the last decade and that's fine. Here's to my next cigarette, even though it's probably a few years away.

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
I quit over two years ago after suffering a heart attack, I only dream of smoking but in my dream I don't like the taste any more !