Headache

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why would a type 2 who keeps his blood sugar consistently below 7 by eating LCHF start having headaches. These have worsened as the months have passed and now it is a constant dull ache - day and night. His doc has prescribed 8 x 5mg tablets of Prednisolone (which is a steroid) per day (to be taken with breakfast) but after a week on these things he's still feeling rough and totally washed out. He's 77 but usually very active and fit, now he's tired and frankly looks dreadful. He's also taking 5mg metformin.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about this. Constant headaches can be very draining.

Is he dehydrated? That is one common reason for headaches. On LCHF he needs to drink masses of water.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would a type 2 who keeps his blood sugar consistently below 7 by eating LCHF start having headaches. These have worsened as the months have passed and now it is a constant dull ache - day and night. His doc has prescribed 8 x 5mg tablets of Prednisolone (which is a steroid) per day (to be taken with breakfast) but after a week on these things he's still feeling rough and totally washed out. He's 77 but usually very active and fit, now he's tired and frankly looks dreadful. He's also taking 5mg metformin.

Does the person you describe have any other medical issues? There are a million and one reasons for headaches, Have his bloods remained stable whilst taking the steroid? Many people find their levels elevate a bit with steroids.

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry - I don't know him well enough to ask! Silly of me to expect someone on here to have a magic wand and would say 'ah - thats easy its ............ '. I've gained so much help myself from the group I was beginning to expect miracles ..... :) I had a vague thought that metformin could cause headaches.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could, really, be anything. I had headaches during the last few weeks and found that I was not eating enough salt. However, I was eating very tiny amounts of salt, as I was cooking all my food myself and not adding any.

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Food for thought there, thanks folks. He's been sent for a CT scan so that might bring up a solution (or at least - a reason!)

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In blood sugar 101, Jenny Ruhl says increase salt intake for headaches, but also take a high dose Magnesium supplement. I have had headaches all my life, but they have reduced dramatically since taking Magnesium.