Eggs confusion

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
I am on a low carb diet & apart from my breakfast at 10.00hrs when I have an apple or a banana & my Easiyo yoghurt after dinner i'm quite strict with it. I would like to swap my 10.00hrs fruit with 2 hard boiled eggs but I've just researched this and have found that eggs can be bad for type 2 as it increases the risk of heart disease. Has anyone else seen this?

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I am on a low carb diet & apart from my breakfast at 10.00hrs when I have an apple or a banana & my Easiyo yoghurt after dinner i'm quite strict with it. I would like to swap my 10.00hrs fruit with 2 hard boiled eggs but I've just researched this and have found that eggs can be bad for type 2 as it increases the risk of heart disease. Has anyone else seen this?
Ok...that info you have read about eggs is old information...and totally not true! Eggs are perfectly healthy food to have ANY time of the day, particularly as replacement for 'carbs' and it doesn't matter if one is diabetic or not. One time we were given scare stories about eggs having so much cholesterol that it would cause heart issues. Well, that advise was proven wrong...even government had to change their tune with egg info and admit that dietary cholesterol has very little effect to our bodies cholesterol levels. Not only that....cholesterol in our blood stream vs. heart problems in whole is something that is debated all the time....although evidence is showing that there is no actual benefit for our health to have low cholesterol number..there is much more to it.
I'll say....ENJOY your eggs....I do, I've had 4 today and 5 yesterday..eggs almost every day!;)

Chichi1989

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi spirit 01 - I a, extremely interested in your low carb diet details.

Do you have a link or anything you can share with timings etc?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I eat between three and six eggs per day - they're the perfect snack, and fill me up no problem. I'm slim and fit, avoid high carbohydrate foods and find I want an egg very much more than I ever want a croissant, cake or piece of toast.

From what I understand from many and varied (not to mention conflicting) scare stories about eggs, cholesterol and heart disease over a number of years, eggs aren't something to worry about - that's just my opinion, but I don't have any symptoms of heart disease.

:)

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Thank you all so much. I was only diagnosed in February but had just started Paleolithic eating. I'm not strict on it as I make my own decisions but I do eat very low carb. I've lost 17lbs since January so I'm very pleased. Dr put me on 1 Metformin but the Nurse wanted me on 2. I stuck with 1 & when she finger pricked me last month it read 4.2. She believes that I'll be off medication very soon if I stay eating this way. My only little pleasure is a small bowl of Easiyo Yoghurt with a few berries after my main meal.

Reactions: 2 people

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Hi spirit 01 - I a, extremely interested in your low carb diet details.

Do you have a link or anything you can share with timings etc?
Hi Chichi, I starts Paleolithic eating in January & have so far lost 17lbs & heaps of fat. I also started using a MUCH smaller plate. Wherever possible I also eat with my fingers which brings an intimacy with you & food. I do eat a few beans though so I'm not strict Paleolithic. I don't eat any kind of bread, potatoes, cakes, sweets, & cut out a load of fruit. I start every day with a black coffee which contains cinnamon & coconut oil. You can find loads of information on Google. I also bought a book called Roots to Health which was written by a Romany. Its out of print but I tracked an old copy down on ebay.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to remember the Eggs are bad for you is from a vegan site/organisation but I could be wrong.

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
I love this site because there is always someone there to help. Thank you all so much.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I keep chickens I usually eat two or three eggs or more every day.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I reckon that (possibly) apples and definitely high sugar bananas are worse for us on a low carb diet than any number of eggs, which probably ought to be part of them. There's nothing wrong with yoghurts either as long as they are full fat without any added sugar. So certainly make those changes!

Robbity

PS I'm not over fond of eggs, but as part of my LCHF menu I probably manage the equivalent of an egg a day between baked goods and a weekly omelette.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I keep chickens so eats eggs!
Boil a dozen bung in fridge there for a snack anytime of day or night. Good for dipping in whatever takes your fancy or simply popping in your mouth .... yes I have a big mouth!

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Ok...that info you have read about eggs is old information...and totally not true! Eggs are perfectly healthy food to have ANY time of the day, particularly as replacement for 'carbs' and it doesn't matter if one is diabetic or not. One time we were given scare stories about eggs having so much cholesterol that it would cause heart issues. Well, that advise was proven wrong...even government had to change their tune with egg info and admit that dietary cholesterol has very little effect to our bodies cholesterol levels. Not only that....cholesterol in our blood stream vs. heart problems in whole is something that is debated all the time....although evidence is showing that there is no actual benefit for our health to have low cholesterol number..there is much more to it.
I'll say....ENJOY your eggs....I do, I've had 4 today and 5 yesterday..eggs almost every day!;)
I love eggs have them every day like Finsky, if my BG readings are higher than normal I will eat eggs at next meal and I am back down in my BG readings. :)

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I'm another chicken keeper...that's why the eggs are quite heavily in my diet too. Just got through 2 for my breakkie...'nom nom'...those 2 eggs and piece of cheese will keep tummy happy for some time to come! And plenty of more are ready boiled and waiting their turn to get in my tummy....'nom nom'...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love eggs have them every day like Finsky, if my BG readings are higher than normal I will eat eggs at next meal and I am back down in my BG readings. :)
I think I have to agree with this - my weekly omelette (with various fillings) usually gives me some of the lowest post meal levels I see.

Robbity

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm another chicken keeper...that's why the eggs are quite heavily in my diet too. Just got through 2 for my breakkie...'nom nom'...those 2 eggs and piece of cheese will keep tummy happy for some time to come! And plenty of more are ready boiled and waiting their turn to get in my tummy....'nom nom'...
I get my chickens from Cheshire Chickens. Usually around a fiver each and come with birth and inoculation certificates and all the gear sold there is the cheapest I can find anywhere but quality too.http://cheshirechickens.no-ip.co.uk/