Coffee and type 2 diabetes.

jocls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Earlier this year I had my regular blood tests and my GP was surprised that my HbA1c reading had shot up from 39 to 68. He asked me whether I had been eating things I shouldn't. I said no. I couldn't understand it, as I was still eating the same food and exercising regularly. A few days later I suddenly thought of the possible answer: after not drinking much coffee for years I was given an espresso coffee maker last Christmas and started drinking three or four espressos a morning. I wondered if that was the reason and decided to cut out the coffee entirely. My next HBA1c reading three months later was a much better 45. Has anyone else experienced this problem with coffee? Is it the caffeine or something else in the coffee that increases blood glucose?. The strange thing is that recent research seems to show that coffee helps to prevent type 2 diabetes!

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would suggest you have an espresso and test your bloods regularly for the next couple of hours and see if it raises them. For me it has no effect

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's unlikely to be the coffee. Can you let us know your BMI/weight and diet just in case Late onset T1 is lurking.

jocls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your reply.

BMI is flawed if people have large frames and are muscular. My weight is 86 Kg, my height 1.82 m. , but I have hardly any fat on me. I eat a balanced diet, including plenty of salads, and green vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds and chicken, lamb and turkey. I eat nothing with added sugar in it . I avoid biscuits and cakes and eat wholemeal bread. My blood pressure is good. usually around 116/68. I exercise every day and my resting pulse rate is usually around 60 or lower. From my research online it seems caffeine can increase blood glucose. Remember, I suddenly started drinking espresso coffee after years of not drinking much coffee at all (the occasional instant). I have never smoked and rarely drink alcohol and then only one or two units. I had an eye test today and was told there was no sign of diabetic retinopathy.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Suggest you progress the test 1 hour and + 2 hours after the coffee, but like you all my treading suggests caffeine in moderation reduced Blood Sugar. Although espresso has about 10x caffeine of a large mug of quality instant. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, I think I was overdoing the caffeine.

Could be a simple solution :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you need to test your theory with systematic blood glucose testing on a home meter.

You also have the option of buying water decaffeinated beans.

jocls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, I intend to test my theory, but there are reports on the internet that some diabetics are affected by caffeine. Not everyone is the same!

joechristmas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excessive amounts of caffeine causes blood sugar to increase. Or, rather, according to this article I found, actually impedes insulin: Caffeine: Does it affect blood sugar?

I drink decaf americano, plus tons of decaf non-espresso drinks, and I don't experience blood sugar effects. Unless, that is, I drink such a godawful amount that the cumulative, trace amounts of caffeine add up and gobsmack my blood sugar. Or impede my insulin, as the case may be.

Paul Stocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Earlier this year I had my regular blood tests and my GP was surprised that my HbA1c reading had shot up from 39 to 68. He asked me whether I had been eating things I shouldn't. I said no. I couldn't understand it, as I was still eating the same food and exercising regularly. A few days later I suddenly thought of the possible answer: after not drinking much coffee for years I was given an espresso coffee maker last Christmas and started drinking three or four espressos a morning. I wondered if that was the reason and decided to cut out the coffee entirely. My next HBA1c reading three months later was a much better 45. Has anyone else experienced this problem with coffee? Is it the caffeine or something else in the coffee that increases blood glucose?. The strange thing is that recent research seems to show that coffee helps to prevent type 2 diabetes!

I do like my coffee in the morning but before I retired my works health advisor told me I shouldn't be taking caffeine after 3pm. I moved to decaf and found a coffee I liked but being more of a tea drinker I still haven't found a decaf variety that isn't bland. I am only just diagnosed type 2 and have just started testing myself so don't know how caffeine affects my blood sugar.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I intend to test my theory, but there are reports on the internet that some diabetics are affected by caffeine. Not everyone is the same!
that's the key...i can try to live without carbs but never without my coffee. :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've posted this on another thread, but worthwhile reposting here:

How you cope with caffeine is highly individual and based on your genetics:

http://www.geneplanet.com/genetic-analysis/list-of-analyses/caffeine-metabolism.html

"Coffee has a greater effect on people who metabolize caffeine more slowly. The reason for this is that our genetic makeup, which determines the activity of the enzyme CYP1A2, is important for the metabolism of caffeine. The aforementioned enzyme doesn’t work adequately in some people, so the daily dose of coffee has to be adapted to this deficiency."

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've posted this on another thread, but worthwhile reposting here:

How you cope with caffeine is highly individual and based on your genetics:

http://www.geneplanet.com/genetic-analysis/list-of-analyses/caffeine-metabolism.html

"Coffee has a greater effect on people who metabolize caffeine more slowly. The reason for this is that our genetic makeup, which determines the activity of the enzyme CYP1A2, is important for the metabolism of caffeine. The aforementioned enzyme doesn’t work adequately in some people, so the daily dose of coffee has to be adapted to this deficiency."

Very helpful lndy51!

I will do some testing and drop all caf for a couple of weeks. Will be interesting:)

jocls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I must repeat that my experience was caused by drinking several strong espressos each morning over several months. I understand that decaffeinated would not have the same effect, an effect which, as I said, would not, according to research, be the case with many other diabetics. It may be a genetic thing.