Type 2 Neuropathy

maitlandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have two problems, one is a get frequent and painful tingling in my feet and I am wondering if I can take something to ease this.
My second problem is the skin on my thumb keeps splitting with deep and very painful cuts - I have asked my doctor about this and he just says it is part of my condition.
I now live in Fuerteventura - the local health service is very good - but some things are difficult to get - so any advice about these two problems would be greatly appreciated.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
It is possible that the pain and tingling in your feet is diabetic neuropathy. If so, it is usually treated with prescribed medications and not over the counter painkillers. This link gives more information: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetic-neuropathy/basics/treatment/con-20033336

It is important with the skin cuts to avoid them getting infected. Neosporin and a covering might help - perhaps a chat with a pharmacist? Are your blood sugars well controlled?

maitlandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It is possible that the pain and tingling in your feet is diabetic neuropathy. If so, it is usually treated with prescribed medications and not over the counter painkillers. This link gives more information: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetic-neuropathy/basics/treatment/con-20033336

It is important with the skin cuts to avoid them getting infected. Neosporin and a covering might help - perhaps a chat with a pharmacist? Are your blood sugars well controlled?
Thanks - Blood sugars are OK, fasting levels about 5 - 6, sometimes going up to 8 after eating, but rarely higher. I have spoken to the doctor and the pharmacy about these cuts - and they have offered no suggestions. The cuts on my thumb are particularly annoying as I play the guitar and these cuts are severely limiting my playing. I can use a steroid cream which clears them up - but only for about a week - 10 days - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

I haven't yet experienced neuropathy, but from what I have read, most doctors seem to assume it is irreversible and progressive for diabetics.

I have (I think) seen some people mention they have been prescribed Gabapentin (sp?) for the pain.

Having said that, several posters here HAVE managed to reduce/reverse their neuropathy pain by a combination of things. I have no idea whether you need to do all of these, or whether they stack in effectiveness.

Some people use supplements.
Some control their blood glucose very tightly using diet and/or medication (Bernstein's book The Diabetes Solution explains the thinking) keeping their blood glucose down to non diabetic levels, allowing healing.

You may find these threads interesting:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/neuropathy-update.69662/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/help-in-dealing-with-neuropathy.74653/

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
try googling Bernstein Diabetes University session 43 on Youtube.
Dr.Bernstein thinks that almost all complications can be reversed with good A1C control over a long period of time.
:( unfortunately, i have not been able to get and keep my A1C that low..yet

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have two problems, one is a get frequent and painful tingling in my feet and I am wondering if I can take something to ease this.
My second problem is the skin on my thumb keeps splitting with deep and very painful cuts - I have asked my doctor about this and he just says it is part of my condition.
I now live in Fuerteventura - the local health service is very good - but some things are difficult to get - so any advice about these two problems would be greatly appreciated.

I was diagnosed T2D in 2000 with a numbness in one leg that the Dr considered to be neuropathy, due to diabetes. HbA1c of 11 confirmed the diagnosis. I was then warned of all the diabetes complications, & told that diabetes was a progressive disease. However well I followed their advice, it would get worse. I was advised of the Diabetes UK high complex carb, low fat diet, which I followed carefully for 8 years. They were right, the neuropathy had become extremely painful & crippling.

In May 2008, with advice from this forum, I gave up on the DUK diet & stopped eating carbs. In only 3 months I was well again & back on the tennis court. That was 8 years ago. My neuropathy & other symptoms were completely reversed, & at 77 I am still playing tennis & am free from diabetes symptoms. Low carb, high fat (LCHF) is the way forward experienced & recommended by many on this forum & on other PATIENT forums. The experts may disagree, but as patients, WE KNOW WHAT WORKS.

I used to suffer cracking of the skin of my hands, particularly in cold weather. That also has been completely relieved since adopting the LCHF diet.

Hope that helps

Reactions: 2 people

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
It is good that the LCHF diet worked for you. My first HbA1c was 12 and that was 18 years ago. Following a varied diet that does not exclude food types other than obvious sugar - fruit juice, cakes, biscuits, sweets etc. I have achieved excellent diabetes management with no complications. I guess we are all different.

Regards

Doug

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are several other conditions that can cause neuropathy too, like lack of B12 and hypothyroidism.

Gingerjeannie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have always had painful cracks in my thumbs and fingers when I have had my hands in water frequently. The best natural remedy is to buy Neutrogena hand cream. It has a waxy like texture which helps the cracks heal.

maitlandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have always had painful cracks in my thumbs and fingers when I have had my hands in water frequently. The best natural remedy is to buy Neutrogena hand cream. It has a waxy like texture which helps the cracks heal.
Unfortunately Neutrogen doesn't work for me - I've tried it - but thanks for the suggestion

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - I've been tested for these and I'm OK
Good.

I was tested too, with normal results. Nevertheless I need both thyroid hormones and vitamin B12, the latter helps with tingly and prickly feet and with tinnitus, in my case.