Does this sound right?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Guys,
Diagnosed T2 about 6 weeks ago now. Decided to get myself a blood tester, thanks to people on here for the code for the testing strips, 1 hour before my evening meal it read 6.7, 2 hours after food it read 7.1. I was expecting this to be a bigger swing to be honest, I thought 2 hours after would be a higher number.
Dinner was, chicken, peppers, mushrooms, onion, tomato's, some spices, with cauliflower rice.
Just wondering as this is the first lot of readings I have done whether this sounds right or not, or do I need to calibrate the machine?
Cheers,
Karl.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But it was Cauliflower rice, so not really rice at all it was just cauliflower flavoured with a but of garlic, whizzed in a food processor and steamed.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
That sounds great to me actually, it should get lower before your meal eventually, but keep up what you're doing

Reactions: 6 people
P

paula.nolan42

Sounds good to me... Not too much of an increase. Try not to make too many judgements of your readings until you begin to see a pattern.

But your off to a great start.

Reactions: 3 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi, these figures are very good. Keeping bloods as level as possible is what we are all striving for. Your meal was a great low carbohydrate feast and 2 hour post dinner result proved it. My before and after readings are usually within half a point to one point of each other. Sometimes the post meal reading is slightly lower especially if I have had a little exercise too. As previous poster said your figures should get lower as you continue eating this way. Very well done, that's good control!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Guys,
Diagnosed T2 about 6 weeks ago now. Decided to get myself a blood tester, thanks to people on here for the code for the testing strips, 1 hour before my evening meal it read 6.7, 2 hours after food it read 7.1. I was expecting this to be a bigger swing to be honest, I thought 2 hours after would be a higher number.
Dinner was, chicken, peppers, mushrooms, onion, tomato's, some spices, with cauliflower rice.
Just wondering as this is the first lot of readings I have done whether this sounds right or not, or do I need to calibrate the machine?
Cheers,
Karl.

Absolutely brilliant. I'd be thrilled if I were you and the menu sounds terrific. Keep going:)

Diagnosed 13 April 16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, weight 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, waist 42").

2 June 16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 120/72, weight 11st 11lbs, waist 30" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, waist 42").

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile each day, weekly intermittent fasting.

Never give in, never give in, never never never given in...Winston Churchill.

Sent from my iPhone3 June16:

Sent from my iPhone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers for all of the positive comments guys. Did another test this morning, woke up at 7.5 had some Kellogg cereal (I know but I work for them! :) ) 2 hours later 9.2... Is that really bad, marginally bad or just bad?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people
P

paula.nolan42

@comicbookguy75

I can't imagine a more terrible thing but to work for a cereal company and be T2 !!!

Everyone will tell you to 'step away' from the cereal...

It's bad, it's not terrible, as in its not 15' but the guidelines recommend not going over 8.4 post meal.

Google '50 shades of diabetes' for an image of the chart that helps us understand the figures.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Cheers for all of the positive comments guys. Did another test this morning, woke up at 7.5 had some Kellogg cereal (I know but I work for them! :) ) 2 hours later 9.2... Is that really bad, marginally bad or just bad?

Oh oh...:) I think you're going to have to become an accomplished fibber, knock the cereal on the head and simply say "ooo it was lovely...Info like our Kellogg's":)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

2/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 120/72, 11st 11lbs, waist 30" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

And after that great low carb dinner.. well it shows you what cereals do to your blood sugar.. As @KevinPotts says fib at work and have egg and bacon for brekkie instead.. nicer in every way and twice as filling as cereal..
All the best... your dinner choice was great so you know what to do!
Regards
Mark

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest I am just trying to gauge what is good and bad etc... I love Belgian beer, so much so I holiday in Belgium and am learning Flemish. So my next test will be a Westmalle Tripel, and see what that does to me. I'd love to be able to have one of these every now and again. Where I find something is causing spikes I'll change and test again until I get it right. I'm assuming it is a long drawn out process for most people finding out what affects them specifically. Breakfast is a big issue for me as I get up to come to work at 5:30, I work in IT and survive on black coffee and water through the day, but I love a nice filling breakfast and know full well I won't be bothered to make eggs and bacon at that time. I'll keep changing and testing till I find something that works. Evening meals I think I have sorted out. Cheers again guys.

Reactions: 6 people

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To be honest I am just trying to gauge what is good and bad etc... I love Belgian beer, so much so I holiday in Belgium and am learning Flemish. So my next test will be a Westmalle Tripel, and see what that does to me. I'd love to be able to have one of these every now and again. Where I find something is causing spikes I'll change and test again until I get it right. I'm assuming it is a long drawn out process for most people finding out what affects them specifically. Breakfast is a big issue for me as I get up to come to work at 5:30, I work in IT and survive on black coffee and water through the day, but I love a nice filling breakfast and know full well I won't be bothered to make eggs and bacon at that time. I'll keep changing and testing till I find something that works. Evening meals I think I have sorted out. Cheers again guys.

Vlaams Leren? Mooi zo! Ik woont voor en tijd in Amsterdam en spreekt Nedersland (bijna het zelfde) Ik ben niet helemaal vlooiend, maar als jij en conversatie wil hebben, doe maar. (Ik werk ook in IT)

S

Sean01

Guys,
Cheers,
Karl.
The testing kit will have instructions on calibrating - but this is probably not the issue. You are new and you are eating the right stuff. This will explain the good results. Keep testing and keep monitoring. Good luck

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vlaams Leren? Mooi zo! Ik woont voor en tijd in Amsterdam en spreekt Nedersland (bijna het zelfde) Ik ben niet helemaal vlooiend, maar als jij en conversatie wil hebben, doe maar. (Ik werk ook in IT)
Dank u, ik ben nog steeds heel basic. Ik werk in Mechelen vrij vaak en dat helpt. Bedankt voor het aanbod.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dank u, ik ben nog steeds heel basic. Ik werk in Mechelen vrij vaak en dat helpt. Bedankt voor het aanbod.

Heel basic in Vlaams is vaak genoeg, omdat het zo eenvoudig is. Ik vind het zo leuk,dat zoveel worden in Vlaams/Nederlands zijn eigenlijk twee kleiner worden zamen gestoten zijn, bijvoorbeeld 'Neusgatjes' voor 'Nostrils'.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you tried full fat Greek yogurt for breakfast @comicbookguy75 ? I eat mine with crushed walnut halves stirred through. Very filling and I can last for up to 6hrs without eating again

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi, sorry for delay in answering, I was out enjoying a walk in local woodland.
I buy the big 1kg tub of natural full fat Greek yogurt from Lidl and divide that into 8-9 portions I crush 4-8 walnut halves ( depending on size) and stir through. Sometimes 2 whole Brazil nuts crushed instead of walnuts. That gives you a really low carbohydrate healthy fat start to the day. Sometimes I vary by having an omelette for breakfast and yoghurt for lunch. Full fat yogurt is very sateating and I love the thick texture. Some people add berries or chia seeds instead of nuts.