Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The first year at Senior school. 1963. Our class won an Easter egg. The teacher asked me to hand pieces out to the class as I had SUGAR DIABETES and was not allowed to eat sugar!!!

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app
Blimey!

Reactions: 2 people

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you feel yourself going hypo have 4 jelly babies and you'll be fine in a short time. When I'm low I eat the kitchen I know it's wrong but in that 15mins of confusion rational thought count's for nothing

Reactions: 4 people

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you feel yourself going hypo have 4 jelly babies and you'll be fine in a short time. When I'm low I eat the kitchen I know it's wrong but in that 15mins of confusion rational thought count's for nothing

This is so true - I'm just the same. :D

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yep Lady in M&S said to my daughter aww diabetic?? You must be on dialysis?
This wasn't any old stupidity.. This was a M&S stupidity!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 10 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep Lady in M&S said to my daughter aww diabetic?? You must be on dialysis?
This wasn't any old stupidity.. This was a M&S stupidity!

Wow!
They both begin with 'dia', so confusion only to be expected! :)

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday was one of the worst I heard. A girl at work that i had just told I had type 1 to:
Girl: oh! My friend also HAD diabetes but a much worse form than you, yours is only mild
Me: how do you figure that?
Girl: well my friend was always sick
Me: the reason you don't see me sick is because I look after myself as best as I can
Girl: ya but my friend she died because hers was way worse. She drank a pint of coke at a party and her 'insulin levels' went too high and she was taken to the hospital where the doctors didn't know what to do with her and gave her even more insulin and it just went too high and she died!
Me: please stop talking

Reactions: 13 people

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"If you go low I'll shove a Mars Bar in your mouth"

"Do I need to inject your insulin if you go low"

"You can't eat cake as you will go all loopy on me"

MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm !!!!!!
Lmfao Mars bar hahaha ouch my tummys sore from lmfao so much

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All members of the british government, benefit fraud, liver & kidneys, animal cruelty, having to work
One of my colleagues at work(who has T2 diabetes)told all my other colleagues that if they found me having a hypo they need to dig my insulin pen out my bag and inject me with some insulin as that will fix me. Eh no actually that will kill me but thanks for that!!!!!!!!!!! I had to put a note in our communications book to tell everyone that not under any circumstances should they ever come near me with my insulin pen. Thankfully that person has now retired and i feel way safer at work

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A friend sent me a link to an article which claimed that vegan diets cure diabetes....
Unfortunately I'm type 1...
I told him of his error and he was v embarrassed ahaha

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'You're diabetic? But you aren't fat?!'

'You shouldn't be eating that' (ref to glucotab mid hypo...'

'I would be mortifies if any of my kids ended up with an illness like that because they were lazy and ate too much Didn't your parents teach you how to eat a balanced diet?'

'Do you know how much money you people cost the NHS?'

'You shouldn't be allowed to have free treatment on the NHS for something self inflicted'

'Can you not just stop eating so much rubbish and excercise more instead of filling your body with chemicals'

The list is endless really....

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday was one of the worst I heard. A girl at work that i had just told I had type 1 to:
Girl: oh! My friend also HAD diabetes but a much worse form than you, yours is only mild
Me: how do you figure that?
Girl: well my friend was always sick
Me: the reason you don't see me sick is because I look after myself as best as I can
Girl: ya but my friend she died because hers was way worse. She drank a pint of coke at a party and her 'insulin levels' went too high and she was taken to the hospital where the doctors didn't know what to do with her and gave her even more insulin and it just went too high and she died!
Me: please stop talking

Rotflmao. Seriously! PLEASE STOP TALKING. too funny but great for you

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
At a party this weekend I took a small sip of a coworkers sangria and she asked if I was going to get sick now. Perhaps if I drank the whole pitcher!

My mom, sweet as she is still doesn't get it. She gets frustrated with me when I say I can't eat something. News flash! It's a little more frustrating for ME.
She lives in another state so now when we visit I do all the shopping and cooking ( and cleaning) and works well. I just tell her to make a Manhattan and go sit down. Less stress for both of us

GBS_82_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How can they even air that kind of stuff?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I think people get so confused between a diabetic comma (where you would need insulin - although far better to call and ambulance then have a novice try and sort it) and a hypo where insulin is pretty much the last thing you need.

I also think that because T1s often carry glucose injections, this confuses people / media.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happened last week:

A colleague of mine sees me taking insulin and starts talking about diabetes and how he knows someone who's has diabetes for almost two years. He goes on saying that if you're as low as 30mg/dl you'll go in coma, period. I said no, i've been as low as 30 and never been in a coma. He disagrees because someone that he knows told him that you will without a doubt go into a coma when you reach 30mg/dl. We went on a little bit but i hate these kind of discussions where arguments hold less value than hear say so i just replied with well i don't go into a coma because i'm a f'ing boss. It ended the discussion.

Diabetes get's enough bad press from everywhere so i was kinda annoyed that someone that actually has diabetes aided in the further stigmatizing of it.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
This doesn't quite count, but I thought it funny...

Eating a buffet with family last week, when my Mother-in-Law says how delicious the ham is, and I must try some.

"No thanks"

"It's really good"

"No, really, I don't want any", acting surprised.

Light bulb moment: "Sorry, I forgot you were diabetic".

"No, I'm vegetarian" (have been ever since we've known each other).

Unfortunately, not made up.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happened last week:

A colleague of mine sees me taking insulin and starts talking about diabetes and how he knows someone who's has diabetes for almost two years. He goes on saying that if you're as low as 30mg/dl you'll go in coma, period. I said no, i've been as low as 30 and never been in a coma. He disagrees because someone that he knows told him that you will without a doubt go into a coma when you reach 30mg/dl. We went on a little bit but i hate these kind of discussions where arguments hold less value than hear say so i just replied with well i don't go into a coma because i'm a f'ing boss. It ended the discussion.

Diabetes get's enough bad press from everywhere so i was kinda annoyed that someone that actually has diabetes aided in the further stigmatizing of it.
Yes. You are quite right. And he gives more weight to what someone else says than your actual experience.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This doesn't quite count, but I thought it funny...

Eating a buffet with family last week, when my Mother-in-Law says how delicious the ham is, and I must try some.

"No thanks"

"It's really good"

"No, really, I don't want any", acting surprised.

Light bulb moment: "Sorry, I forgot you were diabetic".

"No, I'm vegetarian" (have been ever since we've known each other).

Unfortunately, not made up.
People have absolutely no idea.

S

Shar67

I think people get so confused between a diabetic comma (where you would need insulin - although far better to call and ambulance then have a novice try and sort it) and a hypo where insulin is pretty much the last thing you need.

I also think that because T1s often carry glucose injections, this confuses people / media.

I think you might need to read a bit more on diabetes, problems and treatments, hypers rarely cause diabetic comas but hypos do, glucose injections, nope not one i have heard of, glucose tabs or gel yes.