My 6 wk LCHF results are in. Good, nearly good and not so good!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
HbA1c Metformin days 62 :(
LCHF days 56 :)

Cholesterol on statins 3.4 :)
Off statins 5.8 :(
HD no change :) but LD gone from 1.6 to 4.49 :mad:

Seems the 2 really major spikes I had in my HbA1c were in 2012 when my baby grandson was very ill and in 2014 when I was assaulted in my house by a man fixing the boiler! Otherwise I have been able to get levels down before with diet and exercise. Nurse agreed that I can stay off diabetic medication, but we agreed to 1/2 dose simvastatin for 6 wks and see if it has any effect on my health and cholesterol

All in all the nurse was pleased with the results. :) I would have liked lower HbA1c but I have another 6 wks to improve things.

Your advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
What was your HbA1c Beryl? Oops sorry I've just noticed it at top of your message. You just carry on the way that you are doing, eating lchf and dancing at the weddings:) it's early days yet. Are you testing before and 2 hrs after measls?

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news on HbA1c. Well done. My cholestrol is down too, I wonder what will happen when I stop the Statin.

Sounds like with no stress you do well with diet and exercise alone. Not always easy but if you can keep on the level maybe you will be ok, good luck!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You are doing well @berylc. From what I have read your cholesterol level may well go up when you start LCHF, but should drop again in time.

jd58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Low fat and carbs
Only 1 in 400 folk on them get any benefit. Also you do not get cholesterol, in blood as its insoluble its only found in the lymphatic system. Also the liver makes cholesterol so how / why s that. The body needs it for many roles. Also Cholesterol is not fat / lipid its a different molecule.

Mod edit.

Last edited by a moderator:

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
We can't tell people not to take medication @jd58 that is a decision for @berylc and her hcp

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think it's a serious post.
Possibly just out for a bit of mischief.

Myangelsmom

On the same topic (rather than start a new post):

My 3-month bloodwork appointment was yesterday, I got a printout of it and the one previous (Feb). My hba1c went from 6.8 to 5.3 - good news. BUT... my HDL went down from 1mmol to 0.9 mmol ( bottom of normal) and my LDL went UP from 4 mmol to 4.1 mmol - so ??? Though, the "serum cholesterol went from 5.9 mmol to 5.7 mmol. Now at the last appointment the DN nurse going over my results wanted me on statins because my cholesterol was bad (though the printout I have says results are normal, this time a different DN said my results were just fine, though she was concerned that my "bad" cholesterol was going up. But again, the printout says normal.

I'm so confused.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh dear @Myangelsmom This is a common complaint well known to the members here - why do HCPs always push meds/ err on the safe side with advice? Or *** as one person once put it. There are quite a few threads on the forum dedicated to this subject and also links to scientific essays on the efficacy of statins if you wanted to search the subject?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear @Myangelsmom This is a common complaint well known to the members here - why do HCPs always push meds/ err on the safe side with advice? Or *** as one person once put it. There are quite a few threads on the forum dedicated to this subject and also links to scientific essays on the efficacy of statins if you wanted to search the subject?

'why do HCPs always push meds/ err on the safe side with advice?'

Less patients die that way?

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
'why do HCPs always push meds/ err on the safe side with advice?'

Less patients die that way?
Indeed! But occasionally you do find medics who support patients individual informed choices when they are not the (NHS) party line.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed! But occasionally you do find medics who support patients individual informed choices when they are not the (NHS) party line.

Anyone (of sound mind) can refuse treatment.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
True you're definitely right yet again

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even then the HCP will record 'patient declined' on your notes (I guess to cover their Ar$3$)

Myangelsmom

But the results say normal. Why would you drug someone if their results are normal? That makes no sense. ALL drugs have side effect. Therefore you'd be risking abnormal side effects to prevent something that may never happen in the first place? I just don't get it.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But the results say normal. Why would you drug someone if their results are normal? That makes no sense. ALL drugs have side effect. Therefore you'd be risking abnormal side effects to prevent something that may never happen in the first place? I just don't get it.

There would be a question over your LDL, particularly as it's actually above the NHS definition of normal.
Many on here would tell you that was good however.
Others wouldn't.

However,
https://heartuk.org.uk/health-and-high-cholesterol/cholesterol-tests---know-your-number

Myangelsmom

But the NHS printout on my lab results says clearly that it is within the normal range. But there is no range given for LDL.

Myangelsmom

Well, then I guess I get to die from something other than the diabetes I just beat with a vlchf diet. I wonder which is the worse death? Heart attack or diabetic complications? Because if I go back to eating the way that link recommends, I'll be back in the zone in no time. It's how I got diabetes in the first place. Rare thing to get to pick what kills you. I'll have to think about it...