Eggs & T2- Should we eat them at all?

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
has anyone else here had the ephinany that an egg is basically a whole concentrated chicken? - all the same ingredients, obviously.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You have to be on a high fat diet by a dietician and it's up to them if they will let you eat chips with them as I got the go ahead and I don't have that many chips just enough so I can have them with the eggs

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I prefer to eat mine slowly, but I absolutely love them! I even keep ducks so I can eat big eggs with extra-big yolks. Eggs and bacon are my basic breakfast. Tea eggs are my standby for packed lunches and picnics. Devilled eggs have often saved me from high-carb cocktail hour hell. I deeply regret the egg-white omelette phase of my life as the yolk is the best bit.

Kate
Is it true duck eggs should not be fried?

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you checked the Internet as that may tell you quickly and give you a few more tips to do it as I normally just boil them

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
has anyone else here had the ephinany that an egg is basically a whole concentrated chicken? - all the same ingredients, obviously.
And that's the reason I just can't eat egg on a chicken salad - it just makes me gyp - even the thought of it eurggggh - just had a shiver thinking about it!

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Nope, but sometimes when I don't get my eggs boiled quite enough I do feel like I'm eating a baby chick :( and it kinda grosses me out!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right stop it now! I need my eggs and you pair are putting me off!

S

serenity648

The idea that duck eggs need to be cooked through has been debunked. They are as safe as hens eggs.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope, but sometimes when I don't get my eggs boiled quite enough I do feel like I'm eating a baby chick :( and it kinda grosses me out!

I guess you're not keen on the black bit in the yolk then?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Thankfully not.

Love eggs, so versatile :)

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it true duck eggs should not be fried?
Sorry, work's got in the way and made me into a mere weekend poster, so I didn't see this earlier. I use duck eggs exactly as I'd use chicken eggs. The only hygiene point is that the shells are much more porous, so you can't wash them in advance as you would chicken eggs; so I store them unwashed then rinse them off just before I use them. I have a fried duck egg most mornings with no ill effects so far.

Kate

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have my own back garden bantams, some of the best eggs I have ever had. Free range and fed on all sorts, including greens (dandelions etc), worms and other creepy crawlies. If you have a few square meters of garden you can have hens.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I choose not to think about it - as a child I'd seen a few rather "well developed" eggs and they put me off eating them for years unless they were well and truly hard boiled. I still prefer eating them well hidden in my low carb muffins!

But what definitely grosses me out is the idea and sight of fish roe and caviar. My late aunt paid for my wedding reception and there was an abundance of goodies sprinkled with the stuff, and ungratefully I had to pick every single microscopic bit of it off anything before I could put it anywhere near my mouth. I could no more eat it than I could a mouthful of tadpoles. :eek::eek::D

Robbity

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
But what definitely grosses me out is the idea and sight of fish roe and caviar. My late aunt paid for my wedding reception and there was an abundance of goodies sprinkled with the stuff, and ungratefully I had to pick every single microscopic bit of it off anything before I could put it anywhere near my mouth. I could no more eat it than I could a mouthful of tadpoles. :eek::eek::D

Love it myself, don't get to eat caviar too often, but I'm quite happy with the cod roe from Ikea and taramasalata.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brawn and tripe are my bêtes noires
fish roe and eggs - no problem!
I realise there is no logic to it. :)