No Hay Fever So Far This Year

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
For the first time in the last 20 years whilst I have lived in Cambridge, I have had no symptoms of hay fever.

Has this happened to anybody else on an LCHF diet?

Very strange as my migraines have totally stopped, my allergic reaction to chocolate has gone.

I wonder what other positive health benefits are going to emerge in addition to the changes listed in my signature:)

Simply wonderful, unexpected positive side effects:)!

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For the first time in the last 20 years whilst I have lived in Cambridge, I have had no symptoms of hay fever.

Has this happened to anybody else on an LCHF diet?

Very strange as my migraines have totally stopped, my allergic reaction to chocolate has gone.

I wonder what other positive health benefits are going to emerge in addition to the changes listed in my signature:)

Simply wonderful, unexpected positive side effects:)!

I doubt LCHF affects that.
It may be a 'fix all that ails you' to many, but hayfever could be a bit far.

Most people outgrow it, some later than others.
Some earlier.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I doubt LCHF affects that.
It may be a 'fix all that ails you' to many, but hayfever could be a bit far.

Most people outgrow it, some later than others.
Some earlier.

Thanks...you're probably right, but weird that it happened to coincide now....but I guess that's the nub when it comes to coincidences:)?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks...you're probably right, but weird that it happened to coincide now....but I guess that's the nub when it comes to coincidences:)?

I was awful as a kid, everything set me off.
Now nothing does.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My seasonal watery eyes are much better but I attribute that to my avocado. Don't laugh. However, low carb has been the best mosquito repellent ever. They never come near me and everyone else is swatting at them. Knock on wood.

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you read success stories around the paleo and other "real food" websites, your experience is repeated often @KevinPotts - if your version of LCHF is of the unprocessed food variety, it's not too surprising. But I'm sure it's a welcome relief to you :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you read success stories around the paleo and other "real food" websites, your experience is repeated often @KevinPotts - if your version of LCHF is of the unprocessed food variety, it's not too surprising. But I'm sure it's a welcome relief to you :)

Yes it is..no processed food...nice as you say:)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sadly it hasn't worked for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha! I only ever get 'hayfever' under certain circumstances, and it is nothing to do with seasonal pollen.

First noticed it about 15 years ago when I ODed on my mother's homemade Xmas truffles. Basically sugar, double cream, cocoa powder and alcohol.

Since then, like clockwork, I get 'allergy snuffles' when I have a combo of sugar, double cream and cocoa all together, in (cough) excessive quantities.
- which is rarer than hens teeth, nowadays.

Rest of the time, am fine.

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm signed up to Brian Mowl's (founder of Diabetes Summit) free webinar 5pm this evening and I've dropped in a question about corollaries to LCHF such as migraines, choc and....yes...hay fever...haha:)

I'll report back about anything new via his webinar:)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My hayfever is as bad as ever. It used to be a lot worse until about six years ago. I used to volunteer for any hayfever medication trials I saw advertised. I did one where I took grass pollen tablets daily for 12 weeks before the grass pollen season, which were supposed to desensitise you. It did work for me and I had hardly any symptoms that year, and my symptoms haven't been so severe since. If you take it for two years it is supposed to desensitise you completely.

The medication is now available, called Grazax. But the NHS won't prescribe it (except for children) as it costs £2 per day. I would gladly pay £60 a month if they would prescribe it for me. You can get it privately, but you have to pay for a private doctor's consultation and prescription (£100 I think) and then it costs around £250 a month.

I think the hayfever might raise my bs levels, as the symptoms are similar to a bad cold with itchy/watery eyes, and they do stress me. So I think I am going to delay my next HbA1c test which was due around the end of August, until November.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea if this works or not, but I've been seeing lately about people taking small amounts of local raw honey to help innoculate themselves against pollen. Might be worthwhile trying @Prem51?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea if this works or not, but I've been seeing lately about people taking small amounts of local raw honey to help innoculate themselves against pollen. Might be worthwhile trying @Prem51?

I know a couple of ppl who have tried this and say it is brilliant. But it has to be local, and raw, as Indy says. Might be challenging to find!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What really stopped my bad hayfever dead in its tracks was actually needing steroid eye drops for chronic iritis. But not a solution I'd really recommend! I finally was able to stop taking these last autumn, and so far this year I've not had any of my previously normal hayfeverish reactions, and I'm hoping that my low carb diet may be helping too, Kevin. It's certainly done wonders for migraines...

Robbity

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That might work if the hayfever is due to being allergic to plant flower pollen - if you get hayfever due to being near to large fields of flowering rape seed plants, honey from local bees might desensitise you. But my hayfever is from grass pollen, so I don't think that would work (even if there was local honey in London), as bees don't collect grass pollen.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That might work if the hayfever is due to being allergic to plant flower pollen - if you get hayfever due to being near to large fields of flowering rape seed plants, honey from local bees might desensitise you. But my hayfever is from grass pollen, so I don't think that would work (even if there was local honey in London), as bees don't collect grass pollen.

When I was tested, it came back as tree pollen, I don't think it would have worked for me either.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can vouch that it works. Expensive, and not too good once the body malfunctions and can't deal with the sugars!

AnandaUK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I used to get really bad hayfever, like so bad I literally could not go outside during the high-pollen times. My husband keeps asking me why I haven't had hayfever yet this year. I have no idea. Although I did get a small reaction to something yesterday while sitting in the car waiting for him to get something from a shop.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app