Ready to take control after 3 1/2 years with Type 2

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree with the advice given about being careful and discussing with your medical team first. I'm also on fixed dosage bolus insulin. I've not been taught to carb count and wouldn't have a clue what my carb to insulin ratio is. I wish they taught me this stuff here. I don't know how it works. I'll figure it out one of these days.

I wish you the best though :)

I'm on a fixed dose basal insulin too, so I've decided not to fast until I'm more secure and perhaps discussed it with my diabetic nurse. However I bought a book which she recommended called Carbs & Cals which has really been an eye opener. I'm staying under 75g per day (my choice) and, even though I'm down from 4 Glicazide a day to one (!)' I'm recording between 5 and 6 currently,. I'm not changing my basal
until I see the nurse in A few weeks as I don't know enough to do so. Do figure it out, it's been amazing and not difficult. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I'm on a fixed dose basal insulin too, so I've decided not to fast until I'm more secure and perhaps discussed it with my diabetic nurse. However I bought a book which she recommended called Carbs & Cals which has really been an eye opener. I'm staying under 75g per day (my choice) and, even though I'm down from 4 Glicazide a day to one (!)' I'm recording between 5 and 6 currently,. I'm not changing my basal
until I see the nurse in A few weeks as I don't know enough to do so. Do figure it out, it's been amazing and not difficult. Good luck.

Spot on, balanced and wise...softly softly catches the monkey:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Come on!!!!

Join us on the journey. I am sure you will discover the impact not just on your diabetes, but also all your metabolic markers and the way you feel will be great:)

Just ask with any questions you have or support you need... There is always somebody it's a kind word and/or some wisdom on offer:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Kevin, @akindrat18 is on fixed dose, mixed insulin (unless it has changed) and has fairly complex ongoing issues. He hasn't been taking insulin for all that long, so will need support in managing his insulin dosing as and when required.

akindrat has been around for some time. If you have some time, going back through his historic threads might give you an insight into the challenges.

I'm a reduced carb, with balancing fat advocate, so it is undoubtedly disappointing akindrat's Consultant isn't a fan yet, but I know I, for one, don't have enough understanding of either the whole picture or managing insulin to be brave enough to advise lots of changes, without medical support.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Kevin, @akindrat18 is on fixed dose, mixed insulin (unless it has changed) and has fairly complex ongoing issues. He hasn't been taking insulin for all that long, so will need support in managing his insulin dosing as and when required.

akindrat has been around for some time. If you have some time, going back through his historic threads might give you an insight into the challenges.

I'm a reduced carb, with balancing fat advocate, so it is undoubtedly disappointing akindrat's Consultant isn't a fan yet, but I know I, for one, don't have enough understanding of either the whole picture or managing insulin to be brave enough to advise lots of changes, without medical support.

Thanks @AndBreathe..I appreciate you pointing that out:)

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't discussed it with my diabetes team yet, but I've got the support of my family after they heard about high fat and low carb being good for weight loss on GMB. I haven't begun intermittent fasting yet as I lost my meter last Monday and getting a new one has been taking time, but I've still got a ketone meter and had no ketones present this past week.

Just a reminder that you don't have to fast when you're on an LCHF diet, it's an optional extra. So if/when you do go that route, consider doing it in stages, LCHF first and then when you're settled an comfortable with that, try the fasting. Sometimes it's much easier to be successful when you don't take on too big a challenge.

Re ketones, you may well see ketones eventually if you go very low carb, as you body switches over to burning fat rather than carbs - this is dietary ketosis which is (generally) safe and normal as opposed to ketoacidosis which is nasty and can be very dangerous and happens when you have both high glucose levels and high ketone levels, and very low insulin levels. Have a read of:
http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/is-ketosis-dangerous
and
http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketoacidosis.htmlhttp://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketoacidosis.html

So please consider your future course of action carefully - be educated and be safe.

Robbity

Last edited by a moderator:

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've hit rock bottom, I can't take no more blood sugar testing. I can't get my blood sugars down to normal levels. They are either too high in the teens or really low. I've been put on to Tresiba 50 units once a day to replace my Levemir 28 units twice a day injections. I feel like injecting much more Novorapid than I've been set on by my diabetes nurse as I'm currently on 20 units every meal and I want to inject more than that as the 20 units aren't bringing my sugars down. Today my blood sugars have been:

5:30 am - 3.8 - had a tea with 2 sugars to bring my levels up
7:00am - 9.8 - had 4 weetabix with milk - injected 50 units of Tresiba and 20 units of Novorapid
10:00am - 17.6
12:30pm - 17.2
14:00pm - 14.3 - made myself some bacon, avocado and 2 slices of seeded bread - injected 20 units of Novorapid
16:15pm - 15.6
18:30pm - 14.3 - had a bowl of berries with some whipped double cream

I feel like smashing up my meter as I can't take it seeing these high numbers and having my fingers in terrible pain every time I test.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've hit rock bottom, I can't take no more blood sugar testing. I can't get my blood sugars down to normal levels. They are either too high in the teens or really low. I've been put on to Tresiba 50 units once a day to replace my Levemir 28 units twice a day injections. I feel like injecting much more Novorapid than I've been set on by my diabetes nurse as I'm currently on 20 units every meal and I want to inject more than that as the 20 units aren't bringing my sugars down. Today my blood sugars have been:

5:30 am - 3.8 - had a tea with 2 sugars to bring my levels up
7:00am - 9.8 - had 4 weetabix with milk - injected 50 units of Tresiba and 20 units of Novorapid
10:00am - 17.6
12:30pm - 17.2
14:00pm - 14.3 - made myself some bacon, avocado and 2 slices of seeded bread - injected 20 units of Novorapid
16:15pm - 15.6
18:30pm - 14.3 - had a bowl of berries with some whipped double cream

I feel like smashing up my meter as I can't take it seeing these high numbers and having my fingers in terrible pain every time I test.

I'm sorry you're so frustrated.

My observation looking at your day is:

You woke up low which could mean you went lower than this before you woke which would mean your liver would dump glucose and keep your sugar elevated. (that may or may not have happened.. depends if you can tell if you are hypo or not)

The food you're eating has a fair bit of carbs. Eg. your entire breakfast was carbs, your lunch was carbs with fats where the fats would slow down carb absorption keeping your sugar levels higher for longer, your dinner was again carbs and fat which would do the same thing. It may be a good idea to look for non starchy equivalents like protein or vegetables to bulk up your meal.

It sounds like you're dealing with a fair amount of insulin resistance too.

I hope you're able to have a discussion with your doc about it and see if you can come up with a solution. I'd say a good place to start though is to review your diet options.

I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: 2 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry you're so frustrated.

My observation looking at your day is:

You woke up low which could mean you went lower than this before you woke which would mean your liver would dump glucose and keep your sugar elevated. (that may or may not have happened.. depends if you can tell if you are hypo or not)

The food you're eating has a fair bit of carbs. Eg. your entire breakfast was carbs, your lunch was carbs with fats where the fats would slow down carb absorption keeping your sugar levels higher for longer, your dinner was again carbs and fat which would do the same thing. It may be a good idea to look for non starchy equivalents like protein or vegetables to bulk up your meal.

It sounds like you're dealing with a fair amount of insulin resistance too.

I hope you're able to have a discussion with your doc about it and see if you can come up with a solution. I'd say a good place to start though is to review your diet options.

I wish you the best. :)

I am very insulin resistance and I've only been told about insulin correction dosages from my diabetes nurse on Monday as my sugar levels were in the high 20's/low 30's after having a stomach bug from a chinese takeaway. She said that I should take 1 unit of Novorapid for every 3 mmol of blood sugar that they are high. I'm on 56 units of Tresiba in the morning and 30 units of Novorapid with each meal. I saw my doctor on Monday, blood sugar was over 30mmol, but no ketones and advised me to just drink plenty of water and take a walk to bring my sugars down. My doctor is still advising me to eat low gi carbs at every meal.

I'm still high right now as my blood sugar is 19.1 and i've had nothing but eggs today. Poached eggs with bacon at 8am, Scrambled eggs with tomatoes, ham and chorizo for lunch at 3:00pm.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am very insulin resistance and I've only been told about insulin correction dosages from my diabetes nurse on Monday as my sugar levels were in the high 20's/low 30's after having a stomach bug from a chinese takeaway. She said that I should take 1 unit of Novorapid for every 3 mmol of blood sugar that they are high. I'm on 56 units of Tresiba in the morning and 30 units of Novorapid with each meal. I saw my doctor on Monday, blood sugar was over 30mmol, but no ketones and advised me to just drink plenty of water and take a walk to bring my sugars down. My doctor is still advising me to eat low gi carbs at every meal.

I'm still high right now as my blood sugar is 19.1 and i've had nothing but eggs today. Poached eggs with bacon at 8am, Scrambled eggs with tomatoes, ham and chorizo for lunch at 3:00pm.

I'm glad to hear your diabetes nurse is working with you. :) Well done on the drop in sugar levels... although I can see you're still concerned as 19 is high.

Yes, extra activity and making sure you're well hydrated should help reduce your sugar levels.

With food, the most important thing to consider is your portion sizes... too much carbs and too much protein would raise your sugar levels. What you've done is gone from eating mostly carbs in your previous post to just eating protein in the post I'm replying to here. Protein does take longer than carbs to convert to glucose in your body.... so the more you eat then you risk the higher sugar levels. So eating a small amount of carbs and protein and then bulking up your meal with non starchy options would work better.

The other considerations for high sugar levels that could impact you are lack of sleep, stress, illness, change in temperature, other medications, etc. It could even be that the insulin you are using isn't right for you as well.

Hopefully you will be able to get your sugar down further soon. I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: Struma