Share Your Gym Stories

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I figured it would be fun to read some of the stories we all have from going to the gym. This one happened yesterday:

Get to gym at 7:45am. Only two of us here: me and Mrs. Lululemon (she's wearing $500 worth of the clothes) herself.
Mrs. Lululemon feels the need to use all three incline benches to create an obstacle course in front of the Dumbbells. No big deal, I'll do something else.

30 minutes later...she's still navigating through her self-made jungle gym.

Me: could I use one of these benches?
Lululemon: no, I need these.
Me: you can't share? There's only two of us (I repeat this three times)
Lululemon: are you not able to understand me?
Me: no I understood just fine, just wanted to give you a chance to not be an a**hole (I used other words I will not repeat)

Resolution: grab Dumbbells and create additional obstacle like "Tank Man" in Tiananmen Square. She leaves. I inherit obstacle course.

Reactions: 9 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Not a gym user but this did make me laugh - I think everyone knows somebody like this!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
After she's said that if just use one of them anyway...

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I have a similar one, generally people at my gym are happy to share between sets, but this guy was just sitting on the bench between sets so I asked if I could pop on to do my chest presses in his rest periods. He said no and continued to sit there until ready to do his next set. He was still on that bench half an hour later when I'd finished my weights, perhaps he was glued to it...

Reactions: 4 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
More or less same issues I faced. Stopped going to gym forever. It is pain to pay the joiner fees, monthly fees and then experience all kinds of issues with broken machines, obnoxious personalities, issues with hygiene, opening hours and what not. Of late, I am travelling very frequently. So, finally settled with my own routine of workouts - mostly body weight exercises and of course daily dose of 1mile jogging; weekends is 5k. Sometimes I carry a few resistance bands to simulate weight training. Been happy that way for last 5 months; actually spending more calories. HIIT workouts with body weights are actually great.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Home Gym ;):D

Don't often use hotel gyms, tend to run instead, but :hilarious:, always come across morons like that.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I figured it would be fun to read some of the stories we all have from going to the gym. This one happened yesterday:

Get to gym at 7:45am. Only two of us here: me and Mrs. Lululemon (she's wearing $500 worth of the clothes) herself.
Mrs. Lululemon feels the need to use all three incline benches to create an obstacle course in front of the Dumbbells. No big deal, I'll do something else.

30 minutes later...she's still navigating through her self-made jungle gym.

Me: could I use one of these benches?
Lululemon: no, I need these.
Me: you can't share? There's only two of us (I repeat this three times)
Lululemon: are you not able to understand me?
Me: no I understood just fine, just wanted to give you a chance to not be an a**hole (I used other words I will not repeat)

Resolution: grab Dumbbells and create additional obstacle like "Tank Man" in Tiananmen Square. She leaves. I inherit obstacle course.
You realize Ms Lulemom is now going to have a story about "male bullying" at the gym, don't you? There should be someone supervising, though, to intervene when someone hogs all the equipment.

Reactions: 2 people

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's maybe just me being a grumpy old man but I could write a book about people and their antics in the gym. I'm also sure I would feature in any books they might write. Most recent annoyance. 3 teenage lads training biceps (they always train biceps) telling not only themselves but the rest of us that last week they were curling 40kg dumbbells for 10reps, but today I'm having to listen to them scream the gym down after 5reps with 15kgs. Annoyed because I really them to train there triceps if big arm's are what they crave, amused because I was them back in the day.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Can't repeat this in full technicolor for fear of ... Whatever..... But Mrs Potts is my witness:).

Door to personal trainers office gradually swung open and Mr Trainer replete with muscles was doing something with Miss Client across his desk until his long leg quickly flicked the door shut.

I think that would be an extra fee:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't repeat this in full technicolor for fear of ... Whatever..... But Mrs Potts is my witness:).

Door to personal trainers office gradually swung open and Mr Trainer replete with muscles was doing something with Miss Client across his desk until his long leg quickly flicked the door shut.

I think that would be an extra fee:)
But I hope you'd be asking for Miss Personal Trainer though?? :D

Robbity

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
But I hope you'd be asking for Miss Personal Trainer though?? :D

Robbity

Happily married Robbity:) and I'm not sure I can do that with my 54 years old body:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

S

Shar67

You could probably write a book
2 woman doing warm up before starting, in full night out makeup and hair up. warmed up 5 minutes, on exercise bike 10 minutes, weights 10 mins, done, not a hair out of place, check lippy all well.

A bloke was doing sets after me, being a wimp I had lowest weight, he made a point of doing highest weights, I went on row machine (my favourite, I have a concept 2000 at home), him puts tension to 7 I put mine to 8 he goes up to same, we start rowing, we start together, pacing then get into it, he gave up at 5 miles I did 11, he never followed me again.

I once bumped into a bloke in the gym and it was like hitting a brick wall, just muscle but he didn't look like the typical muscle man, but there was absolutely no give in his skin. I did get to know him and he was totally addicted to exercise. Running, cycling, gym. He couldn't swim though. His diet was mainly carbs but no sugar. Every calorie was calculated to amount of exercise needed.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was in the spin studio by myself. I was climbing a very steep hill to Dancing Queen on my iPhone when I realised what I was looking at on the floor. At first I thought it was a red lipstick, but I realised it wasn't when I saw the string attached. How does a woman lose this? In a spin class? With gym gear on?
I paused Dancing Queen and left. OMG!!!!!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I was in the spin studio by myself. I was climbing a very steep hill to Dancing Queen on my iPhone when I realised what I was looking at on the floor. At first I thought it was a red lipstick, but I realised it wasn't when I saw the string attached. How does a woman lose this? In a spin class? With gym gear on?
I paused Dancing Queen and left. OMG!!!!!
I am laughing in horror! :greedy:

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few ..:)

1) I expected this one,
biggrin.gif
guys doing curls as a whole body exercise etc.

2) People looking at me like I am a nutter, why you ask
confused.gif
, because I am writing my lifts down in a little black book.

3) I forgot that you have to wear the right clothes
cool.gif
, my old black t-shirt and rugby shorts don't just fit in.
biggrin.gif

4) And a favourite, an instructor correcting my hand spacing on the bench press, I didn't have the heart to tell him I was doing close grip bench for triceps.
rolleyes.gif

And my all time strangest.....

This one really weird, my training partner and I had just finished showering at the local gym when this guy comes in to get changed with his daughter aged 11-12 , the changing room must have had about 8 naked guys in it, but being Brits nobody said a word, about half hour later (To be said in brit WW2 accent) I said to my partner, I say old chap was it just me or was that strange.
eek.gif

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi mfactor talking of changing rooms, just love the guys who stroll in and are inhaling and exhaling as if they're still benching 200kg. Just to let the rest of us know they've done a workout, and have really pushed themselves beyond the limits.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a home gym now thankfully but did workout in a couple of gyms a while ago.

One of the gyms was in an old soccer barrack next to the soccer field. One wall was all windows towards the field. As the field was not used anymore there were no lights there so it was pitch black on the field. One night the regulars were working out and suddenly we thought we saw a flash coming from outside. We went over to the window but could see nothing because of the lights inside and the darkness outside. We continue and a couple of minutes later another flash. We stop again and someone says "must be lightning far away" to which we all agreed. Though someone jokes about it being someone taking pictures of us. Another guy takes of his shirt and says i'll give them something to take a picture of and immediately strikes a most muscular pose, laughing we all join in doing poses and even ridiculous ballet poses. Suddenly there is a barrage of flashes as we were all half naked in the most idiotic display of poses you have ever seen and clearly someone was taking pictures of us. I've never seen a picture pop-up titled "idiots in the gym" so hopefully him using a flash outside screwed up the pictures :D