Low Carb Roast Beef Sandwich (4g)

JenniferG

Maybe you're like me and want a juicy roast beef sandwich, but have been avoiding them because you don't want to consume bread.

Well this unbelievablly tasty recipe is an excellent solution. It's like eating a roast beef & cheese sandwich between 2 puffy semi-soft cheez-its but without the carbs. So light, crunchy & flaky yet still holds together without falling apart.

Take two slices of processed cheese with 1g each of carbs. (The photo below is of "American" flavored cheese--I've also used "Swiss" flavored.) Place on wax/parchment/freezer paper or a silicone pad and microwave for about 40 to 45 seconds. If you microwave too long they become too brittle and makes the sandwich fall apart as you bite into it. If you microwave with too short of a duration, it'll be too gooey in the center.

Then just add your mayo, mustard, zero carb roast beef slices, zero carb slice of cheese (like the swiss below) and a couple very thin slices of tomato (2g carbs).

The total is 4 grams of carbs. Contrast this with about 30g of carbs for a sandwich with two slices of bread (which don't taste any better than these crispy airy cheesy puffs--which amazingly tastes like a comfort food similar to the way carbs taste). That's a difference of 26g. For me personally that means I can reduce my daily insulin injection by 9 units! For this single sandwich alone!
16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Enjoy! If you try this and like it, please let me know! Thanks!

16kzv5u.jpg

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh, looks delicious! I don't use processed cheese, but I bet I could do the same thing with grated cheddar cheese in the shape of similar sized squares. So tempted... Maybe this weekend. Yum!

Lisa

JenniferG

Oooh, looks delicious! I don't use processed cheese, but I bet I could do the same thing with grated cheddar cheese in the shape of similar sized squares. So tempted... Maybe this weekend. Yum!

Lisa

The grated cheddar will still taste good but it won't be puffy, so less like a puffy cracker or bread, but will be like a thin cracker. Very delicious indeed :)

I never used processed cheese until I heard about it's use for these cheese puffs :) TY Dr. Bernstein :)

Reactions: 2 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I looked up the ingredients for "Kraft Singles American". Not as scary as I thought - (I grew up eating a similar Kraft product before they wrapped each slice in plastic; oops, that's telling of how old I am :) )...

Ingredients w/explanations... http://blog.fooducate.com/2012/04/25/is-this-cheese-kraft-singles-cheese-miniseries-part-3-3/

Nutrition label... http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=BB9D7E3A-C726-11E0-8977-1231380C180E

I [heart] Richard Bernstein!
Then I'm old too. I heard real cheese bs processed doesn't work as well at all but I would have no problem using a fork

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Good one Jennifer
I'm giving it ago this weekend
Cheers

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferG

Then I'm old too. I heard real cheese bs processed doesn't work as well at all but I would have no problem using a fork
The processed cheese puffs up quite a bit in volume .. like by 4 times or more or so. I tried with many non processed cheeses (I prefer those cheeses) and the melt very flat.. although very delicious as thin crackers.

JenniferG

By the way you'll find two versions of the processed cheeses at the markets. One is 1g per slice and the other is like 2g. The 1g tend to work great but microwave them for a bit less time so they don't get too crisp and crumbly for a sandwich. I get the 1g version just because I want to cut the carbs as much as possible.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Maybe you're like me and want a juicy roast beef sandwich, but have been avoiding them because you don't want to consume bread.

Well this unbelievablly tasty recipe is an excellent solution. It's like eating a roast beef & cheese sandwich between 2 puffy semi-soft cheez-its but without the carbs. So light, crunchy & flaky yet still holds together without falling apart.

Take two slices of processed cheese with 1g each of carbs. (The photo below is of "American" flavored cheese--I've also used "Swiss" flavored.) Place on wax/parchment/freezer paper or a silicone pad and microwave for about 40 to 45 seconds. If you microwave too long they become too brittle and makes the sandwich fall apart as you bite into it. If you microwave with too short of a duration, it'll be too gooey in the center.

Then just add your mayo, mustard, zero carb roast beef slices, zero carb slice of cheese (like the swiss below) and a couple very thin slices of tomato (2g carbs).

The total is 4 grams of carbs. Contrast this with about 30g of carbs for a sandwich with two slices of bread (which don't taste any better than these crispy airy cheesy puffs--which amazingly tastes like a comfort food similar to the way carbs taste). That's a difference of 26g. For me personally that means I can reduce my daily insulin injection by 9 units! For this single sandwich alone!
16x16_smiley-happy.gif

16kzv5u.jpg

Wooo...this is amazing....brings a whole new delight to roast beef sandwiches:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried lidle high protein rolls? Real bread, a real sandwich, had one yesterday for the first time, 10g of carbs per roll stuffed it with salad and mayo soooo good!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have you tried lidle high protein rolls? Real bread, a real sandwich, had one yesterday for the first time, 10g of carbs per roll stuffed it with salad and mayo soooo good!

Im a bit scared of all bread at the mo.

I had my first tiny, whole grain slice yesterday as part of my hols here in Norfolk... But did I pay for it with cramps and bad indigestion.

For the last 10 weeks, no indigestion,cramps, headaches...just felt great, but that little piece of bread brought every thing to a grinding halt:)

So me thinks my bod don't like bread:)...shame:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im a bit scared of all bread at the mo.

I had my first tiny, whole grain slice yesterday as part of my hols here in Norfolk... But did I pay for it with cramps and bad indigestion.

For the last 10 weeks, no indigestion,cramps, headaches...just felt great, but that little piece of bread brought every thing to a grinding halt:)

So me thinks my bod don't like bread:)...shame:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

It's funny what affects us isn't it? I had a normal bread roll at a BBQ last weekend and I had terrible wind and stomachache the following day, gained a pound and bs went up to 10. I have been fine after the Lidl protein roll, my bg came down to 6.9 later which is good for me at the moment. I have also lost 2 lbs in 2 days - at last it's working! I still have a lot to learn but I have just got the obesity code book, so hoping I will understand more. By the way Kevin, what did you use to count carbs? Also what diet did you follow please? I'm so impressed with your progress (and envious) but I'm feeling v motivated, more so than for years. I also feel much better and am walking much faster than I was.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's funny what affects us isn't it? I had a normal bread roll at a BBQ last weekend and I had terrible wind and stomachache the following day, gained a pound and bs went up to 10. I have been fine after the Lidl protein roll, my bg came down to 6.9 later which is good for me at the moment. I have also lost 2 lbs in 2 days - at last it's working! I still have a lot to learn but I have just got the obesity code book, so hoping I will understand more. By the way Kevin, what did you use to count carbs? Also what diet did you follow please? I'm so impressed with your progress (and envious) but I'm feeling v motivated, more so than for years. I also feel much better and am walking much faster than I was.

I used www.dietdoctor.com introduced by my doc/nurse and web research to get a grasp of carbs per food by weight/volume. So accumulated that knowledge over the last few weeks:)

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used www.dietdoctor.com introduced by my doc/nurse and web research to get a grasp of carbs per food by weight/volume. So accumulated that knowledge over the last few weeks:)

Ok will have a look cheers

JenniferG

I personally use an iPhone app called "MyNetDiary" to count my carbs, record my blood sugar readings, and record my insulin injections. I haven't found any app that does that all. It's been quite helpful.

I used to weigh myself everyday, but found out it is very depressing, because no matter what I ate, my body weight varies greatly day to day to just water weight fluctuations. So I only weigh like every other week, but keep on the same healthy diet and just trust the diet, that it will give me good numbers when I do weigh.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic

16x16_smiley-happy.gif

16kzv5u.jpg
Oh Boy ! Roast beef and cheese with tomato. Some sandwich.
I'll look in the fridge and make one up now.
Oh ****** no beef. It's 1030 pm, too late to shop.
I will try to hold out until tomorrow.
Oh the pain !!!!!!!
Sorry.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Sounds like a gluten allergy.

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like a gluten allergy.
Really? How interesting. I will see if they will test for it. I had a few off the rails days last week on holiday and one of those was a sandwich and I literally felt like I had been poisoned!