Heaven Or Hell?....my FIRST 4 Day Fast

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
BOOM!! 4 day (96 hour) fast completed.

7pm BG 4.1, BP 118/68, BPM 67

Remarkably straightforward and could pretty easily do this one again.

Not sure what I gained in terms of BG stability. A big effort to drop my BG 1.4 mmol, but convinced fat as fuel makes eating less a lot more achievable.

Going to research and consider a 7 day fast in about a month...would be a real test, so just thinking it through:)

Dinner tonight at 7pm, salmon with seeds, OPPO ice cream with a few strawbs and bluebs....felt like a bit too much...so need to gradually reacclimatise tomorrow:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app
OK Kevin! Way to go!Your posts in this thread have been so encouraging to me, as a new LCHF lifestyle participant. I too have been reading Dr. Fung and find that it is giving me new hope. In three months of an introductory 50 carb a day regimen, I have lost weight without trying, my toe sores have entirely healed up, my inflammation all over my body is greatly reduced, and my morning numbers have come down from 12 and 13 to sevens and eights. Recently I have been going about 16 hours at a time to introduce myself to fasting, and it's been doing well, but I admit I am intimidated by longer fasts. I share Brun's trepidation and reactions entirely. Your sharing of the results and moments of your fast give me great encouragement to continue on. You are my hero!

Reactions: 2 people

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Request for information: Kevin you mention being keto adapted as a preparation for longer fasting. Do you have to be in full ketosis for a period of time before stepping up to longer fasting? I'd appreciate feedback from you or other members who also are trying this method. Did your doctor measure your basal metabolism in any way before this major fast ? Or your degree of insulin resistance? As an older person with some health issues, I'm trying to smooth into these huge changes for my body. But of course I want the full Monty as well! I wonder if those of you who have fasting experience have any advice on a progression, or timeline that worked for you.

fobbletops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good...if you mention them, it will kill me (figuratively speaking)....haha:)

And in answer to your question...I've no idea, I know I find 42 hours straightforward...I guess it's this fat fuel adaptation.

How long are you fasting for,Kevin?

fobbletops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My only concern (and I accept that other ppl may never have this issue), is that I have problems getting to sleep when hungry.
It is a cyclical little process where I notice I am hungry, worrit about going to sleep, get stressed, focus on the hunger, worrit I won't sleep, get stressed...

I can keep myself awake for hours like this - all the while fully aware that it is probably all in my head.

So I think the biggest barrier for me, as I gradually increase fasting times, is getting past that bedtime hunger.
Try Mindfulness and meditation.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kevin, congrats! I'm just now reading the entire thread. How did breaking the fast go? Any weight loss? Oh, and what does BPM stand for? Feeling a bit silly asking...

Have Fung's book on my reading pile. Will get to it eventually!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
OK Kevin! Way to go!Your posts in this thread have been so encouraging to me, as a new LCHF lifestyle participant. I too have been reading Dr. Fung and find that it is giving me new hope. In three months of an introductory 50 carb a day regimen, I have lost weight without trying, my toe sores have entirely healed up, my inflammation all over my body is greatly reduced, and my morning numbers have come down from 12 and 13 to sevens and eights. Recently I have been going about 16 hours at a time to introduce myself to fasting, and it's been doing well, but I admit I am intimidated by longer fasts. I share Brun's trepidation and reactions entirely. Your sharing of the results and moments of your fast give me great encouragement to continue on. You are my hero!

What a wonderfully encouraging story:)

I am just an ordinary bloke with fears and foibles like the rest of us and I know that if I can do it, so can you:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Request for information: Kevin you mention being keto adapted as a preparation for longer fasting. Do you have to be in full ketosis for a period of time before stepping up to longer fasting? I'd appreciate feedback from you or other members who also are trying this method. Did your doctor measure your basal metabolism in any way before this major fast ? Or your degree of insulin resistance? As an older person with some health issues, I'm trying to smooth into these huge changes for my body. But of course I want the full Monty as well! I wonder if those of you who have fasting experience have any advice on a progression, or timeline that worked for you.

The best place to discover a detailed medically based answer is via Jason Jung's 8 short videos on fasting - he covers everything and you can access them at www.dietdoctor.com. There is a free 30 day trial at his site and you can cancel your subscription at the end of the trial, although i've remained a member as I find his resources very useful.

From my own experience the adaptation to Ketosis means my body is using ketones as fuel because of my 20g LCHF lifestyle, and I am sure that for me, that's why I had no hunger issues. In my previous life just under 3 months ago as a sugar fuel burner, there is no way I could have done a 4 day fast and now be contemplating a a 7 day fast;)!

All my metabolic markers are tracked and I show there progress in my signature to provide people with an overview of the possibilities with an LCHF lifestyle:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Kevin, congrats! I'm just now reading the entire thread. How did breaking the fast go? Any weight loss? Oh, and what does BPM stand for? Feeling a bit silly asking...

Have Fung's book on my reading pile. Will get to it eventually!

Breaking the fast was trickier than I anticipated...I ate too much in one go and felt uncomfortable....hahaaa...typical man:)

I dropped 4lbs...but I'm not kidding myself some of that would be the previous food content:)

BPM is heart rate Beats Per Minute...don't feel silly we all use too many acronyms Winnie:)

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The best place to discover a detailed medically based answer is via Jason Jung's 8 short videos on fasting - he covers everything and you can access them at www.dietdoctor.com. There is a free 30 day trial at his site and you can cancel your subscription at the end of the trial, although i've remained a member as I find his resources very useful.

From my own experience the adaptation to Ketosis means my body is using ketones as fuel because of my 20g LCHF lifestyle, and I am sure that for me, that's why I had no hunger issues. In my previous life just under 3 months ago as a sugar fuel burner, there is no way I could have done a 4 day fast and now be contemplating a a 7 day fast;)!

All my metabolic markers are tracked and I show there progress in my signature to provide people with an overview of the possibilities with an LCHF lifestyle:)

Thank you very much. I will follow it up! And congratulations once again

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's fascinating @KevinPotts. Well done. I am contemplating doing a 24 hour fast 2 days per week, but am not sure I could do more than 24 hours. In fact, I'm not sure I could even do 24 hours! I would have to do it during the week, I certainly couldn't do it at a weekend.

I will take a look at the Jason Fung videos.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's fascinating @KevinPotts. Well done. I am contemplating doing a 24 hour fast 2 days per week, but am not sure I could do more than 24 hours. In fact, I'm not sure I could even do 24 hours! I would have to do it during the week, I certainly couldn't do it at a weekend.

I will take a look at the Jason Fung videos.

Go for it:) I've certainly found it has jump started my BG stability... Which based on my food consumption yesterday was responsible for my 6.0 BG this morning:)!

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Go for it:) I've certainly found it has jump started my BG stability... Which based on my food consumption yesterday was responsible for my 6.0 BG this morning:)!

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

I'm away for a long weekend with friends next weekend, and then off on holiday with my husbsnd the week after, so might have to wait until after that to try it. Ill probsbly try out 24 hour fasting on Mondays and Thursdays and see how that goes.

My worry is that I still suffer with Dawn phenomenon and that might make it worse. I guess I should just try it and see.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kevin, you wrote elsewhere yesterday...

Im a bit scared of all bread at the mo.

I had my first tiny, whole grain slice yesterday as part of my hols here in Norfolk... But did I pay for it with cramps and bad indigestion.

For the last 10 weeks, no indigestion,cramps, headaches...just felt great, but that little piece of bread brought every thing to a grinding halt:)

So me thinks my bod don't like bread:)...shame:)

As a person who has IBD, when I read this I couldn't stop giggling. I think you starved those little buggers in your gut for four days and when you ate that bread they all screamed "PARTY!". ;)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am just an ordinary bloke
Are you sure about that?! I'd say 'extraordinary'! I'm so, so impressed with what you've been doing - congratulations on achieving the stability of numbers you were after, and if your new profile pic is anything to go by, you're jolly pleased!

:happy:

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Are you sure about that?! I'd say 'extraordinary'! I'm so, so impressed with what you've been doing - congratulations on achieving the stability of numbers you were after, and if your new profile pic is anything to go by, you're jolly pleased!

:happy:

"Jolly pleased" is spot on.

I'm close to the weight and build I had when I got married 32 years ago:)

In fact 6 of us (3 couples) went out to celebrate tonight as we are all now in our 30s in terms of years married. 30 years, 32 years and 35 years:)

Amazing eh?

New pic in 4 weeks - I hope I will be at my Personal Fat Threshold of 11st dead on... That will be 6 and half stone loss from my peak!

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Craigh270779

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
iv been doing LCHF for approx a month, the last week i have been fasting on and off, if i don't feel hungry i don't eat, I'm drinking my coffee and double cream in the morning and sometimes having breakfast.

I'm going to try the fasting, i believe it IS achievable and I'm looking forward to checking the results