Late night snacking

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just a thought, has anyone found out that late night snacking does affect your fasting blood glucose? I was feeling a bit peckish and decided to have a water biscuit with a piece of cheddar cheese late at night. My usual fbg is usually around 5.2 but after the snack it went up to 5.8! What does it tell you?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just a thought, has anyone found out that late night snacking does affect your fasting blood glucose? I was feeling a bit peckish and decided to have a water biscuit with a piece of cheddar cheese late at night. My usual fbg is usually around 5.2 but after the snack it went up to 5.8! What does it tell you?

That change is very very minimal. Did you have a delayed carb reaction?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
not to eat carby biscuits...
Haha

i sometimes need a snack to sleep but never carbs. I'll have a slice of avocado or a small spoonful of peanut butter or a few nuts. I think it helps keep bs steady for me but carbs would only raise me

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I wish my BS was 5.8 but determined to get there eventually. I had 2 thin slices of cheese before bedtime one evening this week and for me my BS level in the morning was lower than normal which was good. I too would have a few nuts or peanut butter as an alternative. Gone are the days for me whereby I would have crackers and cheese if I was hungry before bed or a sandwich.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish my BS was 5.8 but determined to get there eventually. I had 2 thin slices of cheese before bedtime one evening this week and for me my BS level in the morning was lower than normal which was good. I too would have a few nuts or peanut butter as an alternative. Gone are the days for me whereby I would have crackers and cheese if I was hungry before bed or a sandwich.

When I was type 2 and I would have slightly higher bs than I wanted a small snack ( a bite or two ) of something with a little protein and fat , like cheese or nut butter, would elicit a small insulin response enough to lower my bs. It neede to be small enough to NOT raise it though. Even a couple nuts worked. Or celery in a mayo based sauce

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you so much everyone for replying. I think it was the carb in the water biscuit that raised my fbs. Just one little thin biscuit makes all the difference but I would not know until I tried it. Learning everyday with all your help. Appreciate all the replies and comments.

Reactions: 2 people