1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Late night snacking

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Keesha, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Keesha

Keesha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just a thought, has anyone found out that late night snacking does affect your fasting blood glucose? I was feeling a bit peckish and decided to have a water biscuit with a piece of cheddar cheese late at night. My usual fbg is usually around 5.2 but after the snack it went up to 5.8! What does it tell you?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

not to eat carby biscuits...

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

That change is very very minimal. Did you have a delayed carb reaction?

4. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Haha
    i sometimes need a snack to sleep but never carbs. I'll have a slice of avocado or a small spoonful of peanut butter or a few nuts. I think it helps keep bs steady for me but carbs would only raise me

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. carina62

carina62 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I wish my BS was 5.8 but determined to get there eventually. I had 2 thin slices of cheese before bedtime one evening this week and for me my BS level in the morning was lower than normal which was good. I too would have a few nuts or peanut butter as an alternative. Gone are the days for me whereby I would have crackers and cheese if I was hungry before bed or a sandwich.

6. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

When I was type 2 and I would have slightly higher bs than I wanted a small snack ( a bite or two ) of something with a little protein and fat , like cheese or nut butter, would elicit a small insulin response enough to lower my bs. It neede to be small enough to NOT raise it though. Even a couple nuts worked. Or celery in a mayo based sauce

7. Keesha

Keesha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you so much everyone for replying. I think it was the carb in the water biscuit that raised my fbs. Just one little thin biscuit makes all the difference but I would not know until I tried it. Learning everyday with all your help. Appreciate all the replies and comments.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook