Metformin timing?

Pedaldog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on2 Metformin 500s a day.

I've been taking them both in the evening with my main meal of the day. Should I be splitting them, morning/evening?
I also take Dapagliflozin in the morning, don't know if that changes the Metformin timing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest you ask your doctor or pharmacist. What does it say on the label on the tablets? My old metformin pack gives instructions when to take them. Although I stopped after 3 weeks.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Take them as prescribed or as instructed in the information leaflet in the packet. But as @bulkbiker says check with your GP or pharmacist if you've not been given this information.

Standard metform is usually taken with meals to help prevent/avoid any unpleasant side effects. Advice generally seems to be to take it with your evening meal.

The slow release(SR) version shouldn't matter so much as you're getting a continuous low quantity "drip fed" to you rather than getting the whole dose all at once as with the standard tablets.

Robbity

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine are prescribed split through the day, with meals, but as said before, check with your Pharmacist/DN

Pedaldog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks all I just, shock..Horror!, read the label. i never look at it, just taken them that way for a year or so.
It does tell me to "Take 2 with evening meal" so I've been doing the right thing anyway.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Pedaldog, would it be better to take one with morning meal and the other with evening meal instead of taking two with evening meal? In that way, you would be spreading out the medication.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm on2 Metformin 500s a day.

I've been taking them both in the evening with my main meal of the day. Should I be splitting them, morning/evening?
I also take Dapagliflozin in the morning, don't know if that changes the Metformin timing.
I take forxiga 10mg in the morning and 500 mg metformin in the morning and 500 mg metformin at dinner.