1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin timing?

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by Pedaldog, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Pedaldog

Pedaldog Type 2 · Member

I'm on2 Metformin 500s a day.

I've been taking them both in the evening with my main meal of the day. Should I be splitting them, morning/evening?
    I also take Dapagliflozin in the morning, don't know if that changes the Metformin timing.

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

I would suggest you ask your doctor or pharmacist. What does it say on the label on the tablets? My old metformin pack gives instructions when to take them. Although I stopped after 3 weeks.

3. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Take them as prescribed or as instructed in the information leaflet in the packet. But as @bulkbiker says check with your GP or pharmacist if you've not been given this information.

Standard metform is usually taken with meals to help prevent/avoid any unpleasant side effects. Advice generally seems to be to take it with your evening meal.

The slow release(SR) version shouldn't matter so much as you're getting a continuous low quantity "drip fed" to you rather than getting the whole dose all at once as with the standard tablets.

Robbity

4. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mine are prescribed split through the day, with meals, but as said before, check with your Pharmacist/DN

5. Pedaldog

Pedaldog Type 2 · Member

Thanks all I just, shock..Horror!, read the label. i never look at it, just taken them that way for a year or so.
    It does tell me to "Take 2 with evening meal" so I've been doing the right thing anyway.

6. Keesha

Keesha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Pedaldog, would it be better to take one with morning meal and the other with evening meal instead of taking two with evening meal? In that way, you would be spreading out the medication.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MarcoRiveira

MarcoRiveira Type 2 · Well-Known Member

8. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take forxiga 10mg in the morning and 500 mg metformin in the morning and 500 mg metformin at dinner.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook