Cocktails for diabetics

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am sure diabetics are allowed some alcoholic drinks while on vacation. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what cocktails to have when going to a bar for a drink? Something that will not send my blood sugar skyrocketing? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am no expert on cocktails. Red or dry white wine is fine, as are most spirits (not rum), but the mixers need to be sugar free - not the sweet fruity ones normally associated with cocktails.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A G&T over ice with a really good squeeze of lime juice is my favourite...although not sure you can really call it a cocktail ;)

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Cuba Libre - Rum with Diet Coke and a slice of lime is good.
Long Island Iced tea - again, with diet coke, there's a bit of sugar in the syrup, but like 5g or something.
I don't know if it has a name, but I drink it a lot - Sloe Gin and diet ginger ale.
Aperol Spritz, which is Aperol and Prosecco

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cuba Libre - Rum with Diet Coke and a slice of lime is good.
Long Island Iced tea - again, with diet coke, there's a bit of sugar in the syrup, but like 5g or something.
I don't know if it has a name, but I drink it a lot - Sloe Gin and diet ginger ale.
Aperol Spritz, which is Aperol and Prosecco

Sloe gin can contain a lot of sugar.

Daiquiri, leave out the sugar though.
Dry Martini
Maybe a Manhattan, depending on how sweet the vermouth is.

The problem with cocktails is they all tend to have a sweet liqueur in, there aren't many without.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Champagne cocktail - that is, champagne with a shot of brandy.

Just make sure the champagne is dry and there is someone to help you home.:cool:

Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dirty martini - I have a Manhattan sour - no syrup in it - I also cope with a proper made Bellini which is made with crushed peaches and not archers liqueur- my favourite is spicy Bloody Mary made with vegetable juice- only one of any of these though - then back to a glass or two of wine

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My favourite first got hooked on it whilst in Cyprus was a Brandy Sour gorgeous.

A typical recipe for a Cypriot Brandy Sour should include

5 cl (2 parts) Cypriot brandy (typically KEO VSOP or Haggipavlu Anglias brands)
2.5 cl (1 part) Cypriot lemon squash
2-4 drops of bitters (Angostura or Cypriot **** Drops brands)
Top up with soda water (some use lemonade instead)
Ice

The Lemon juice would need to be changed to a sugar free version of course.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Champagne cocktail - that is, champagne with a shot of brandy.

Just make sure the champagne is dry and there is someone to help you home.:cool:

A true champagne cocktail usually has a cube of sugar in it, I think?

hornplayer

A Hedgehog. That's vodka and champagne, half and half. - Four weeks in Russia and that's all I drank. And I do mean ALL. No water, no coffee, no nothing.

- I hadn't had a diphtheria jab and there was an out break in St Petersburg. The doctor told me to drink lots of vodka and not to kiss any Russians. .... One out of two wasn't bad

wd6ecc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A true champagne cocktail usually has a cube of sugar in it, I think?
word of warning check your blood sugar after drinking alcohol which tends to crash your blood sugar mine crashes to around 3.6 after about 5 hours

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did you pass out when your blood sugar crashed to 3.6? Would eating something with cocktails help with blood sugar control?

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am no expert on cocktails. Red or dry white wine is fine, as are most spirits (not rum), but the mixers need to be sugar free - not the sweet fruity ones normally associated with cocktails.
Why not Rum? It doesn't contain any carbs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not Rum? It doesn't contain any carbs.

Yes, sorry.
I have been looking up about this. I simply assumed that as it is made from raw sugar cane and/or molasses it must have natural sugar in it. Clearly this must disappear during the distilling stage.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, sorry.
I have been looking up about this. I simply assumed that as it is made from raw sugar cane and/or molasses it must have natural sugar in it. Clearly this must disappear during the distilling stage.

A lot of spirits have sweeteners and flavours added back in though, either by storage, or simply added, after distillation, to give each one their individual taste.

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would think it depends where you go as to what is on offer. Spirit and a diet mixer is fairly safe but I was advised to only drink with food and to be aware of a possible hypo the morning after. I had one when swimming at about 11 am after a few G&Ts the night before.