Quinoa

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How on earth can you eat this stuff?
Its supposed to be very very healthy and full of good things, but to me it tastes like animal-feed and smells totally disgusting. I followed the instructions on the packet but it was inedible - what do you do with it to make it palatable?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never bother.

Its a staple in S America because they don't have access to cheap animal protein, and it is high protein for a grain, but... I've heard that now, most of the production goes abroad, and the locals have to go without.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/16/vegans-stomach-unpalatable-truth-quinoa

Having said that, before i gave up on quinoa i used to throw it in soups and use it spiced, herbed and made interesting in a cous cous like way.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can cook it and find it tastes fine (slightly sweet IMO) but I have to use an extended bolus because of the protein in it. So I prefer brown rice.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before cooking it you must wash it otherwise it will taste vile! Once washed it's pretty versatile. You can boil it and treat it like rice, make quinoa burgers(see below) or use it in tabbouleh.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/221249/veggie-quinoa-burgers/

As a general guide, the black quinoa is healthier than the red and the red better than the white.

Cooked properly it has a slightly nutty taste that works well with most dishes

Enjoy

Reactions: 2 people

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Before cooking it you must wash it otherwise it will taste vile!

Hear hear!
Try this too - this makes 6 servings of Coconut Quinoa and might convert a few people...

Heat 1Tbsp of virgin coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1.5 cups of well-rinsed quinoa and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add a whole 13oz can of coconut milk, 1 tsp salt, and 1½ cups water and stir to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and liquid is evaporated, 20–25 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To make it tasty, try cooking quinoa in some coconut milk, add some nuts or fruits to sweeten it. Yummy and good for you.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Roz_71

How on earth can you eat this stuff?
Its supposed to be very very healthy and full of good things, but to me it tastes like animal-feed and smells totally disgusting. I followed the instructions on the packet but it was inedible - what do you do with it to make it palatable?
I use it from a packet that doesn't need cooking and it makes good salads with lemon juice, garlic and tomatoes.