1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Quinoa

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by ExD, Jul 3, 2016.

1. ExD

ExD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How on earth can you eat this stuff?
    Its supposed to be very very healthy and full of good things, but to me it tastes like animal-feed and smells totally disgusting. I followed the instructions on the packet but it was inedible - what do you do with it to make it palatable?

2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru

I never bother.

Its a staple in S America because they don't have access to cheap animal protein, and it is high protein for a grain, but... I've heard that now, most of the production goes abroad, and the locals have to go without.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/16/vegans-stomach-unpalatable-truth-quinoa

Having said that, before i gave up on quinoa i used to throw it in soups and use it spiced, herbed and made interesting in a cous cous like way.

3. RuthW

RuthW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I can cook it and find it tastes fine (slightly sweet IMO) but I have to use an extended bolus because of the protein in it. So I prefer brown rice.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

4. Welshman1952

Welshman1952 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Before cooking it you must wash it otherwise it will taste vile! Once washed it's pretty versatile. You can boil it and treat it like rice, make quinoa burgers(see below) or use it in tabbouleh.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/221249/veggie-quinoa-burgers/

As a general guide, the black quinoa is healthier than the red and the red better than the white.

Cooked properly it has a slightly nutty taste that works well with most dishes

Enjoy

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hear hear!
    Try this too - this makes 6 servings of Coconut Quinoa and might convert a few people...

Heat 1Tbsp of virgin coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1.5 cups of well-rinsed quinoa and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add a whole 13oz can of coconut milk, 1 tsp salt, and 1½ cups water and stir to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and liquid is evaporated, 20–25 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

6. Welshman1952

Welshman1952 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow! Guess what I'm having for dinner tomorrow

7. bobrobert

bobrobert Type 2 · Well-Known Member

8. Keesha

Keesha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

To make it tasty, try cooking quinoa in some coconut milk, add some nuts or fruits to sweeten it. Yummy and good for you.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

9. Roz_71

Roz_71 · Newbie

I use it from a packet that doesn't need cooking and it makes good salads with lemon juice, garlic and tomatoes.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook