Show Nutritional information in eating establishments- petition

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From a link on Facebook, I stumbled across this petition calling for "eating establishments" to display nutritional info including, significantly, carbs!
For some reason it has very few signatures. I've shared it on several other diabetes themed Facebook pages, but maybe posting here will boost the numbers :)
Please sign and share if you agree it would be a help, thanks!
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/132394

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Some of the big pub/restaurant chains do already have the nutritional content displayed @Moggies12

Reactions: 4 people

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think others have it 'under the counter' so to speak! Our local Asda cafe have a folder they'll refer to if you ask.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think others have it 'under the counter' so to speak! Our local Asda cafe have a folder they'll refer to if you ask.

I've noticed too that you get the nutritional content on-line by going to their websites, I'm not sure how practical it would be for the smaller establishments as they tend to change their menu's quite regularly.

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's true, I was thinking more of bigger places I suppose. Although littler places might have more knowledge of what's in their foods if you ask! It'd be nice not to have to make a fuss or be made to feel like you're being a pain for asking awkward questions! Hubby and I are vegetarian, so we're used to having to ask stuff!

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's true, I was thinking more of bigger places I suppose. Although littler places might have more knowledge of what's in their foods if you ask! It'd be nice not to have to make a fuss or be made to feel like you're being a pain for asking awkward questions! Hubby and I are vegetarian, so we're used to having to ask stuff!

The book/app Carbs & Cals is a good visual guide, I've got the book but not tried the app as yet.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
By law the information has to be provided if you ask for it.

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
CarbsRok, didn't know it was law! Is that everywhere...eg hospitals, school dinners, etc?

Noble head, I use the Carbs/cals app when we're out and about, saves lugging the book about and works even without wifi connection.

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
CarbsRok, didn't know it was law! Is that everywhere...eg hospitals, school dinners, etc?

Noble head, I use the Carbs/cals app when we're out and about, saves lugging the book about and works even without wifi connection.

PS the other app I use a lot is MyFitnessPal

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have travelled this past year, due to job, to quite a few eating places, hotels etc.
And once you ask them for the information, they will show you.
All eating places must have the folder referred to.
The other thing I've asked is what oils they use in cooking and they are always obliging in that as well. Don't be shy about asking, either for the information or the head chef. In my experience they are usually very accommodating.
By law, I think, they must have the folder but don't have to display them on signs etc.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Yes it does. The dietitian at my area hospital told me this last year when I had conversation regarding the lack of info for meals provided or not as the case may be. She told me that the law had been changed so the info has to be provided if you ask, so ask the nurses who have the info on their computer in the nurses area if you are in hospital.

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For restraunts and places selling unpackaged food it's only the 14 allergens that are covered - not things like calories carbs fats etc
http://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdfs/publication/loosefoodsleaflet.pdf

Thanks for the link, although I'm now confused :confused: Is it just allergens they're obliged to share or nutrients (carbs) too? The real test is to ask at different places I suppose... as in the proof of the pudding etc!
CarbsRok - do you by any chance know where we'd find the legal stuff you refer to? Always good to be able to wave something at someone if they're being awkward! Although, like Nosher8355, I've always found people pretty helpful, legislation or not :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just the allergens - it's very confusing - you cannot display the amount of carbs cals fat etc until you get it verified and it's very very expensive so the big chains can do it because they usually have the same menu in all places over many months. Small independent establishments could just not afford to do this - they have to know the allergens by law and make them readily available - but most restaurants although not able to tell you the amount of carbs eg there's 30g of carbs in that - and personally I wouldn't commit myself like that they can tell you the ingredients if you ask

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just the allergens - it's very confusing - you cannot display the amount of carbs cals fat etc until you get it verified and it's very very expensive so the big chains can do it because they usually have the same menu in all places over many months. Small independent establishments could just not afford to do this - they have to know the allergens by law and make them readily available - but most restaurants although not able to tell you the amount of carbs eg there's 30g of carbs in that - and personally I wouldn't commit myself like that they can tell you the ingredients if you ask
That makes a great deal of sense :oops: I guess I got carried away thinking lazily wow what a good idea

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a T1 and also someone who has severe gluten intolerance (brother and sister also T1 and coeliac) I use experience and measuring by eye best for calculating a bolus dose. I try to ring ahead to alert the chef/waiting staff when eating out that I can't eat gluten. Chefs are generally good at recommending suitable dishes or making modifications so that food is safe to eat. It works for me and as a long term T1 I know that for me one tbs rice = 5 units, and 3 egg-size potatoes needs 6, same with a rounded tbsp mash, half a large potato. Experiment at home to work out your insulin requirement. Like everything else to do with diabetes management, you need your wits about you, but it's great when you can play by your metabolism's rules and win! Persevere!

The odd Joker gets thrown in every now and again, but, hey, sometimes we're dealt a difficult hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
From a link on Facebook, I stumbled across this petition calling for "eating establishments" to display nutritional info including, significantly, carbs!
For some reason it has very few signatures. I've shared it on several other diabetes themed Facebook pages, but maybe posting here will boost the numbers :)
Please sign and share if you agree it would be a help, thanks!
Not sure how to access the petition, but I certainly support this idea.