ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know the NHS doctors want us to have lower cholesterol levels because we are diabetic, but a lot of folk would say that 4.8 is healthier than 3.8. The TC level that has the lowest all cause mortality rate in women is around 5.6 my own is 5.8 and I'm very satisfied with that. It's your trigs figure that really matters anyway and that should be below 1.0 if possible.
Thanks @zand .
I'm happy losing weight at a minimum lb a week.
Im concentrating on weight loss right now.
Hba1c up to 61 from 54 3 months ago but that is mainly due to interference from a drug called canagliflozin which gave me extremely high bgs after withdrawal.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Well my cholesterol is up on lchf diet.
Big people like me dont need cheese and cream.
Mind u im losing weight, slowly.
Fat helping me lose weight?
I need to change from dairy fats to better fats.
If your way of eating is not working for you, it makes sense to try something different. Cream and cheese are a bit moreish so could be a problem if you are trying to lose weight. Fortunately there are lots of other fats. My personal experience - I've dropped weight and had my best hba1c (35) since stopping dairy. Not for everyone, but you have nothing to lose by trying something different. All the best.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
New research IS showing a bit higher CHO is heart protective.

I'm with @SunnyExpat, too much of any food makes me fat. I prefer quality over quantity.

@ickihun i think I remember in a previous post you ate lots of protein. Was it lean protein or fatty? I think you would be wise to ditch the dairy and some saturated fat and head for mono plant fat.

What fats are you eating and how much? The body will certainly make ketones out of your own fat stores.
About the 20 carbs...did you do it long enough? Did you replace the carbs with some fat? Maybe you needed more time. Also when starting low carb making sure you get enough sodium is important. Drinking broth or water with sea salt through the day can make a huge difference. LC by nature is dehydrating so you need to get enough sodium potassium and magnesium.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I'm with @SunnyExpat, too much of any food makes me fat. I prefer quality over quantity.

@ickihun i think I remember in a previous post you ate lots of protein. Was it lean protein or fatty? I think you would be wise to ditch the dairy and some saturated fat and head for mono plant fat.

What fats are you eating and how much? The body will certainly make ketones out of your own fat stores.
About the 20 carbs...did you do it long enough? Did you replace the carbs with some fat? Maybe you needed more time. Also when starting low carb making sure you get enough sodium is important. Drinking broth or water with sea salt through the day can make a huge difference. LC by nature is dehydrating so you need to get enough sodium potassium and magnesium.

I haven't seen a lot that says the NHS targets are wrong, although there does seem to be an argument that un- naturally low cholesterol can be associated with some types of CVD in women, so there may also be a gender split.
But there is no causality, it's unknown if CVD can lead to ultra low cholesterol, or ultra low cholesterol can lead to CVD, so I play safe, and stick to the middle if I can.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am eating fat......where did you get the idea I was not my comment was I was not mainlining and eating it for the sake of eating it which is where some folks on LCHF do get it wrong. LCHF does not mean you can eat a pack of butter and a kilo of cheese at a sitting.
So how much fat can you eat on a low-carb diet, while not in ketosis? I have read that your body will consume the fat you eat, before it moves on to the fat you store. But you need fat to make the LC HF diet work , do you not? And to keep you from being hungry all the time.This is an issue I am still quite confused on, because of my reading about higher fat meats, double fat creams, and fat bombs as being good for you. I find it hard to give up my fat phobia, from 50 years of dieting. So where do you draw the line guys? I also understand that working for ketosis, under 20 carbs , is different from trying to achieve a healthier lifestyle with low-carb. Big wodges of bacon bits on the whip cream with a side of fat bombs seem to be recommended by many proponents of the LCHF diet. How far can you go ? In one post, a writer said that they raised their bad cholesterol by eating too much animal fat. Has anyone else had similar issues?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So how much fat can you eat on a low-carb diet, while not in ketosis? I have read that your body will consume the fat you eat, before it moves on to the fat you store. But you need fat to make the LC HF diet work , do you not? And to keep you from being hungry all the time.This is an issue I am still quite confused on, because of my reading about higher fat meats, double fat creams, and fat bombs as being good for you. I find it hard to give up my fat phobia, from 50 years of dieting. So where do you draw the line guys? I also understand that working for ketosis, under 20 carbs , is different from trying to achieve a healthier lifestyle with low-carb. Big wodges of bacon bits on the whip cream with a side of fat bombs seem to be recommended by many proponents of the LCHF diet. How far can you go ? In one post, a writer said that they raised their bad cholesterol by eating too much animal fat. Has anyone else had similar issues?

I think unfortunately you need to ask the proponents of the fat bombs, the extra cream, the bacon, questions about the personal targets, level of fitness, and BMI.
While it may be seen as possibly intrusive, it needs to be balanced against the targets you set yourself, as I found out, if I eat fat I get fat, and that's no longer where I want to be.
My target is to be active, and have an average BMI, and I find the extra fat not only stalls that, but actually works against it.
There seems to be a variety of variations in diet, calories from fat, and equally different results from said diet.
Saturated fat is very bad for my cholesterol.
And personally, I find a diet that makes you go hungry occasionally isn't such a terrifying prospect, and increases my respect for food generally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with everything @SunnyExpat said.
Saturated fat raises my CHO as well as the size of my bum.
The rules I follow is VLC, above ground veggies, moderate amounts of lean protein and ENOUGH FAT TO SATISFY, and no more.
I am not into fat bombs, ounces out cheese,, cream, fatty prime rib, chicken skin etc. I do eat lean steaks and burgers or chicken thighs in small quantities but I don't cook them in grease or another fat. My fats are primarily plant fats. Avocado, mayo, olive oil, nuts and seeds and all in reasonable amounts. I still eat 80% fat but by no means do I gob it. I like to use this scenario. 2 handfuls of salad greens topped with a half can of tuna or some chicken bits and a tablespoon of olive oil and maybe some avocado is 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80 % fat. But a very healthy meal. That is the ratio of all my meals

Reactions: 6 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My cholesterol is up but I am still losing weight so the two don't always go together.
D.

For me, that's why it's important to know calories.
Saturated fat increases my cholesterol.
Too much fat increases my weight.
I agree the two may not be linked for some, but for me if I eat too many calories in the form of saturated fats, both increase.
Do you eat fat bombs, bacon, add butter and cream to your drinks and cook in butter, add butter to veg, add cream to soup etc?
Or do you limit your consumption, to a lower amount?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think @SunnyExpat and I must eat the same diet. Calories do matter. All of them. The other thing with saturated fat and especially dairy is my blood sugar goes much higher. We all love dairy and hate to see it go however as @avocado said ( my favorite name haha, and food) if you want something to change you need to change something. If you keep doing the same thing you will keep getting the same results.
If you have fat to lose you don't need to eat it other than to satisfy hunger. I can't remember if you like avocados but they are very satisfying and a very good fat. Don't over eat protein either, especially fatty ones. I eat a very high fat diet but I don't eat a lot of calories. Quality over quantity.

Reactions: 6 people

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Any body have a nice bread recipe please

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
Hi there

Look up oopsie bread, it's easy, almost no carb, and it's really good.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi, The following is a quote from Malcolm Kendrick from an article on what causes CVD!

It just shows his current thinking, I recommend you read the whole paper but the following was at the end of section 12.

Quote:
So, ahem yes, blood borne lipoproteins do have a role to play in CVD. The role is not key, but it is there. I thought I should get that off my chest.
End of quote

Therefore cholesterols role is CVD is not straight forward and one may need to reduce it when high! (my conclusion)

Last edited by a moderator:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

My sodium and potassium levels are good.
I've decided to swop butter for bertolli. Cheese with philly light and cream with milk as my calcium is low (may be due to overactive thyroid when low carbing as on 200mg of levothyroxine. Olive oil for light frying.
I think only dairy can give calcium?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My sodium and potassium levels are good.
I've decided to swop butter for bertolli. Cheese with philly light and cream with milk as my calcium is low (may be due to overactive thyroid when low carbing as on 200mg of levothyroxine. Olive oil for light frying.
I think only dairy can give calcium?

My calcium is great and I haven't eaten dairy in many years. Salmon ( especially canned WITH the skin and bones) sardines, herring, spinach, kale, broccoli, and sesame seeds are very high in calcium. Also unsweetened vanilla almond milk gives you about 1/2 your daily calcium. As far as calcium is concerned too, there are foods that deplete calcium so minimizing those might help. I think some nuts are one of them. I'll search around
I would be careful using 'light' foods as they are far more processed. If you are trying to lower cholesterol I would ditch saturated fats, including all dairy and eat more of the foods I mentioned.

What are your main proteins? Do you eat fish and poultry?

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My calcium is great and I haven't eaten dairy in many years. Salmon ( especially canned WITH the skin and bones) sardines, herring, spinach, kale, broccoli, and sesame seeds are very high in calcium. Also unsweetened vanilla almond milk gives you about 1/2 your daily calcium. As far as calcium is concerned too, there are foods that deplete calcium so minimizing those might help. I think some nuts are one of them. I'll search around
I would be careful using 'light' foods as they are far more processed. If you are trying to lower cholesterol I would ditch saturated fats, including all dairy and eat more of the foods I mentioned.

What are your main proteins? Do you eat fish and poultry?
I eat chicken, duck, beef, lamb, bacon, pork sausages and seafood, cod, salmon, tuna, mackerel...... and haddock occasionally.
I think I will go back to my alpo almond and coconut milk then.