Missbiss21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to ask which infusion set would be best to use in my arm? I have never tried to use my arm but after 12 years of injections and infusion sets my stomach needs a break!

I am on a medtronic 640G and currently using Sure-T's because of kinking but I do have some quick sets and a couple of mio30's from when I was trying to get the right ones (hated the mio30's by the way!).

Which out of these would be best/what have others used in their arms?

Thanks,

M

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not on that pump, but I did try my arm a few times. It wasn't a great success for me, and I found it an awkward place. You may be different :)

I used a set with a Teflon cannula that goes in at 30-45 degrees. I inserted it myself. I put it on the outside of my arm where it felt fleshiest but I have slim arms and didn't have much choice of spots to use. I would think it depends on the amount of flesh/fat you have there as to what works best, but a steel cannula would be low down my list of ones to try.

All you can do is experiment :)

Edited to add that I don't use my tummy any more. I sue my thighs or bum - both work well.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't tried my arm @Missbiss21 , but having encountered problems of my own in tummy area I started using the back of my spare-ish tyre for my cannulas - excellent delivery of insulin, not sore, not difficult to reach and very comfy.

I know that doesn't answer your question about arms, but if you are looking at a variety of alternative sites then that would be my suggestion. I don't even know it's there, and I don't trip over the hosepipe like I sometimes did when it was in my tummy!

:)

Missbiss21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the advice @azure and @Snapsy!

I have tried there and at the top of my thighs/bum but the insulin seems to not work as well - although might be worth using the quicksets for those areas instead of the Sure-T's. So i thought might as well give my arms ago! Although I am allergic to medical tape, so need to use cavilon beforehand, which can make those difficult areas even harder! :meh:

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the advice @azure and @Snapsy!

I have tried there and at the top of my thighs/bum but the insulin seems to not work as well - although might be worth using the quicksets for those areas instead of the Sure-T's. So i thought might as well give my arms ago! Although I am allergic to medical tape, so need to use cavilon beforehand, which can make those difficult areas even harder! :meh:

Again, I'm using a different pumps and so different sets, but I found I needed a longer cannula in my bum. I tehn swapped to a steel cannula and found that works very well. In my thighs I use a Teflon 13mm angled cannula, and that works well too. When I first swapped to those areas, I thought they weren't going to work, but careful set experimentation and slight adjustments to my basal depending in area, sorted it.

My thighs are now my favourite area. I do think it depends on your body composition though.

Edited to add that I find there's only one strip of my bum that works well - presumably just the right composition of fat, etc. it took me a couple of weeks to perfect the positioning. My thighs are easier - I use roughly from the midline of the top to the midline of the side and move down to about half way to my knee.

Hope that helps : )

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just to be clear, the Medtronic Silhouettes, Mios and sure Ts are exactly the same as the Animas Inset IIs, Inset 30s and Contact Detach sets, although the inserters on the Silhouettes and Inset 30s differ.

Missbiss21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to be clear, the Medtronic Silhouettes, Mios and sure Ts are exactly the same as the Animas Inset IIs, Inset 30s and Contact Detach sets, although the inserters on the Silhouettes and Inset 30s differ.
Thanks for that Tim!