Just hold on there, fat is now bad again....

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
He doesn't make pianos then ....

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
I think it gets silly fat is good/bad transfat seems to be the real culprit, I have never been able to tolerate margarines (transfat rich) and had reasonable control on my weight until I had a drop in my Thyroid function, I have congenital heart disease which is a problem, my lifestyle used to be quite stressful and contributed to me smoking which is not a good thing, I have T2 which is also partly family related, I try to eat more balanced diet now and am losing weight again slowly now, I will continue to eat butter as always but as I eat less bread now I eat less butter, I don't pay too much attention to the papers as they change their editorials with the weather

Reactions: 3 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Nope.
People on here are intelligent.
Some fats are good, some fat aren't.

I think the balance within this community would be the only fats that are poison are Trans/Hydrogenated.

Sat is ok, though I would be reasonably moderate, the good or great fats are exactly that, but become extremely toxic if used for frying at high smoke points.

So far from straightforward would be my personal thoughts:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

lindisfel

Expert
The heat treated (cheap) rapeseed oil is reckoned to have 4% trans fat after processing with chemicals and heat. The cold pressed is OK. D.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer a cup a tea!

Oh me too.

I'm also an oddball because I detest olives. I tried olive oil following the advice on here. I used it once and thought it was vile. So did hubby. It's mayonnaise all the way for me on salads, and butter for shallow frying, duck or goose fat for roasting. Occasionally rapeseed oil if we make our own chips. I also detest coconut and almonds.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh me too.

I'm also an oddball because I detest olives. I tried olive oil following the advice on here. I used it once and thought it was vile. So did hubby. It's mayonnaise all the way for me on salads, and butter for shallow frying, duck or goose fat for roasting. Occasionally rapeseed oil if we make our own chips. I also detest coconut and almonds.
I also hate olives, but we use olive oil+balsamic vinegar + wholegrain mustard as salad dressing which makes it palatable. We grill or bake rather than fry nowadays but I have used coconut oil for making yam crisps.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Medium chain length SFA. Easiest to digest apparently, so contributes directly for energy and not adipose storage. Not sure if this applies when not ketogenic.

Thanks...feel like I'm getting to grips with this now:)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks...feel like I'm getting to grips with this now:)

The problem I have is that people likeTrudi Deakin and other LCHF gurus do not tell us if the benefits they claim are due to ketosis or not. I am running my LCHF on the cusp, so I get some ketones, but am not fully 'adapted'. I do this because I do not need to lose weight, and my bgl is good without going VLC. But until i get my next blood test in Oct/Nov, I will not know where I am on lipids. My GP has put me on annual review only, so I can no longer request 3 monthly tests like I could when I was under the DCN.

So does anyone know if the good lipids are due to Ketosis, or not? I know I lost a lot of belly fat when I did go ketogenic for while, but I have had to cut back on the HF since it was just putting it back on. I am now resigned to losing more weight, and it will be interesting where I settle down. At 10.5 stone, I am ok to drop a bit, but not too much. Sitting on a park bench is difficult now having lost my padding. Bathtime is also a challenge. But then bathtime is always a problem for us cats LOL

lindisfel

Expert
Just shows we are all different but even so you get excellent even enviable lipids Blue tit. Derek
Oh me too.

Reactions: 2 people

lindisfel

Expert
It must be nice not having to go to the doctors all the time. I have a season ticket! I guess you could get a full lipid panel test done privately if your doctor is tight. I don't know how much it will cost in the UK? I would have thought if our weight was on target and we are on lchf our bloods should be in the right parish! atb Derek QUOTE="Oldvatr, post: 1199292, member: 196898"]The problem I have is that people likeTrudi Deakin and other LCHF gurus do not tell us if the benefits they claim are due to ketosis or not. I am running my LCHF on the cusp, so I get some ketones, but am not fully 'adapted'. I do this because I do not need to lose weight, and my bgl is good without going VLC. But until i get my next blood test in Oct/Nov, I will not know where I am on lipids. My GP has put me on annual review only, so I can no longer request 3 monthly tests like I could when I was under the DCN.

So does anyone know if the good lipids are due to Ketosis, or not? I know I lost a lot of belly fat when I did go ketogenic for while, but I have had to cut back on the HF since it was just putting it back on. I am now resigned to losing more weight, and it will be interesting where I settle down. At 10.5 stone, I am ok to drop a bit, but not too much. Sitting on a park bench is difficult now having lost my padding. Bathtime is also a challenge. But then bathtime is always a problem for us cats LOL[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was first moved from the initial 3 monthly blood check following diagnosis to 6 monthly I was anxious to know about my lipids because of going high fat. I just asked my nurse for an interim test and she obliged. She threw the whole lot in for good measure.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think lipids are related to many factors: blood sugar, diet, exercise (LDLs), other hormone levels (thyroxine, vitamin D). Maybe some other stuff too. It cannot be wholly or mainly dependent on ketosis or any other single factor because there are millions of people with good high HDL and low trigs who are not in ketosis (me, for example), eat carbs and low fat.

My LDL was at the top end of the range in February but my Vitamin D was low then and I was sitting on my backside all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On diagnosis in January 2014 my lipids were:
Total 6.4
Trigs 2.01
HDL 1,66
LDL 3.8

HbA1c was 53.

Since then I have had 8 tests, and on each occasion they have all improved or stayed the same. The biggest improvement was between diagnosis and the next test 5 months later. All I did in that time was reduce carbs gradually starting with 120g and ending with about 75g. So not in ketosis. Nor did I do a great deal of exercise, just 2 dog walks and the normal housework stuff. I also increased the amount of oily fish I ate and ditched all the low fat products, and I had lost about 2 and a half stones. My HbA1c was 46 by then.

Since then they have continued to improve to my current levels (in signature) and I have dropped my carbs down to 30g . often less and vastly increase the fat to keep my calories up as I also lost all my excess weight and needed to maintain. (lost over 31% of body weight) I have no idea if I am in ketosis. I don't measure it (maybe I should) and don't really care one way or the other.

In my case, the improved lipids seem to be the carb reduction, maybe the weight loss as well. My fat consumption hasn't had any adverse effect on them. I have no known vit D deficiency or any hormone issues. I would go with the reduced carbs as the reason for mine.

Genes also play a part.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In my case, the improved lipids seem to be the carb reduction, maybe the weight loss as well

Obviously depending on how far you walk with your dog you shouldn't discount the exercise @Bluetit1802

The reason why I say this is I don't do much more than dog walking (average around 90 mins a day), the Endo I see said last year that any form of exercise is beneficial in helping to keep lipids in check.