Bodybuilding

danielle94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there any possibility that I can gain weight and gain muscle mass? I mean, how am I supposed to gain weight without carbohydrates?

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
More protein and fat. I do lchf and I'm still progressing on the weights. I'm type 1. I get a a blood sugar rise from protein so I bolus for it. I can gain weight if I eat too much as the amount of Insulin needed increases.
I've gained muscle mass ad I like to lift heavy on this diet too. You could use protein shakes but careful as some have carbs in and you may get a rise from the protein.

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Most of the personal training programmes that include specific diet aspects start with a month or so of eating no carbs, and focusing on fats and proteins. They are typically 50% fat, 45% protein, 5% carbs in terms of Macronutrients.

When I undertook a diet at this level, with resistance training 3-4x per week, my body fat dropped significantly and my muscle mass increased. The key is that you need to do the resistance training.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pretty much what Tim said, after struggling for a few years (lost strength and muscle mass) started LCHF at the end of last summer , have my bloods under control and am now getting back up to my old max lifts and am regaining lean muscle mass..

Protein is the key to building muscle tho the amount needed is still constantly argued on forums around the world... I tend to stick to the lower end of the scale @ 1.4g of protein per kg of lean body mass, which works out at 135 gram @ 90kg lean body weight for me..

Lots of low carb protein powders out there, not strictly necessary but are convenient..

MyProtein diet is a good lowish carb choice price wise , I use half a serving to make a post workout smoothie using greek yogurt ,berries, peanut butter etc, works well

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Is there any possibility that I can gain weight and gain muscle mass? I mean, how am I supposed to gain weight without carbohydrates?

I've had a similar set of goals and discovered it is achievable, but requires effort and commitment.

My weight has dropped by 42kg over 4 years and is now 70kg (I'm 182cm tall).

My BMI in 2012 was 35, fat mass of over 30%+.

My BMI is now 21 and fat mass of 15.6% with muscle mass of nearly 57%.

My strategy has been Low Carb diet lifestyle, with normal protein and high fat, about 4 hours a week in a gym doing resistance training with weights and numerous daily 1 mile runs across each week and also intermittent fasting.

I am sure there will be lots of people who come along with targeted recommendations for you:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum