Getting there??

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
well folks,

As you know I'm not an LCHF evangelist, nor do I monitor, and being honest still to an extent struggling with my now 'label'.

However I've had another appointment today with my PN, who (I think) is brilliant. She talked me through the Retinopathy results - all good, she did a 'foot inspection - all good, she did my BP - totally normal now, my BMI - now 27 (from 33 3 months ago). She did a finger prick bg test which now showed 5.8!!!!! - woohoo! She can see how I'm struggling and took a sample to send for hba1c (and Cholesterol) now rather than wait til August. She said she would be very surprised given my effort and hard work if the result wasn't 'through the floor' (her words) and said she wouldn't be surprised if it were 7 ..... I soooo hope it is. I really need a confidence boost, been feeling soooo low and **** for the last 3 months. She said she will phone me next week as soon as she got the result rather than wait for another appointment - bless her.

I know there are some in here who have differing experiences with the NHS - but I simply can't fault mine! I feel they have gone that extra mile for me!

Reactions: 5 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
well folks,

As you know I'm not an LCHF evangelist, nor do I monitor, and being honest still to an extent struggling with my now 'label'.

However I've had another appointment today with my PN, who (I think) is brilliant. She talked me through the Retinopathy results - all good, she did a 'foot inspection - all good, she did my BP - totally normal now, my BMI - now 27 (from 33 3 months ago). She did a finger prick bg test which now showed 5.8!!!!! - woohoo! She can see how I'm struggling and took a sample to send for hba1c (and Cholesterol) now rather than wait til August. She said she would be very surprised given my effort and hard work if the result wasn't 'through the floor' (her words) and said she wouldn't be surprised if it were 7 ..... I soooo hope it is. I really need a confidence boost, been feeling soooo low and **** for the last 3 months. She said she will phone me next week as soon as she got the result rather than wait for another appointment - bless her.

I know there are some in here who have differing experiences with the NHS - but I simply can't fault mine! I feel they have gone that extra mile for me!

Hi @Heretic1

Sounds like you might be getting there, I hope you will get good a1c results. It's not my intention to try and dampen your enthusiasm but don't read too much into a single finger prick test.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you not monitor regularly?

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
@urbanracer thank you for a dose of reality!

I don't mind you asking at all. Simple answer is, I'm not sure I want to monitor -yet! I know there are those that do and take comfort from that..... and equally a number of those that don't and feel equally comfortable.
I see both sides to this and tbh I do think about going one way or the other. I do have a concern (as does my wife) that (like I am aware of some in here) I would become obsessional about it - which is perhaps not that good (for bank balance or mind).
For me the 'jury is still out'.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Heretic1 ,

Fair do's mate. I must confess that I was a little obsessed when I started out, - then I think I just got bored with it all somewhere along the line!

Reactions: 2 people

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi @Heretic1 ,

Fair do's mate. I must confess that I was a little obsessed when I started out, - then I think I just got bored with it all somewhere along the line!
Ref the hba1c result - I realise 'one swallow doesn't make a summer' and clearly I am still very new (and bewildered) to this. However on diagnosis my fasting finger prick result was 12, in mid June it was 6.6 and today 5.8. Since diagnosis I have not strayed, cheated, from a very strict healthy diet (which yes has included a realatively small but not counted carbs) in fact part of the 'struggle' I have had with myself is that I have become 'food phobic' and lost any interest in eating. The PN is confident the result will be good and is keen to help me see that my efforts have paid off. She (and my wife) can see I need a boost in confidence and that what I am doing is working in getting me back 'in range' and on track. The last few months I have found incredibly difficult and have never felt as low which is why she wants to bring it forward - and was confident I will see what I need to see! - I realise I will feel crushed and a failure if it isn't!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@urbanracer thank you for a dose of reality!

I don't mind you asking at all. Simple answer is, I'm not sure I want to monitor -yet! I know there are those that do and take comfort from that..... and equally a number of those that don't and feel equally comfortable.
I see both sides to this and tbh I do think about going one way or the other. I do have a concern (as does my wife) that (like I am aware of some in here) I would become obsessional about it - which is perhaps not that good (for bank balance or mind).
For me the 'jury is still out'.

That was exactly my argument when I was first diagnosed and found this forum. I really dug my heels in about testing despite all the arguments for testing that were thrown at me by members. I waited 3 months before asking my DN for a meter. She did give me one, with 50 strips, but told me that was it, no more. She warned me about being obsessive and ruining my fingers (nerve damage) but by then I knew I had to give it a try. My goodness, what a shock I had when I started testing my meals. Yes, I became obsessive, and yes, my fingers get bruised, but my levels have come right down. I am still learning now, well over 2 years later, and still have the odd shock.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
@urbanracer et al,

Well, I've been like a teenager on GCSE day this morning.... and the PN has just called me, bless her she said she couldn't wait to tell me!!!!!

Hba1c - 7.3 (11 previously)
Cholesterol - 4.5 (6.5 previously)

She did say that these results are based on the last 6-8 weeks and not the full 12 weeks so expects this to come down even further in August!

The best news was NO MEDICATION required ......... Woooo hoooo. I'm one very happy (if a bit emotional now!) bunny this morning.

Away on holiday this week, so off to find an ice cream and dirty burger now!!!!!! ..... Joke!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Great news @Heretic1 , looks as though you really are getting there !

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Fab results - well done

sud5nala

Well, I've been like a teenager on GCSE day this morning.... and the PN has just called me, bless her she said she couldn't wait to tell me!!!!!

She did say that these results are based on the last 6-8 weeks and not the full 12 weeks so expects this to come down even further in August!

From your earlier post, fasting BG down 6.6 to 5.8 in only 3 weeks, excellent! When was the HbA1c of 11?

About 50% of the contribution to an A1c result comes from the immediate previous month. The test does not average evenly over the preceding 3 months.

Web searching turns up alternate sites to the fingertips, for testing. The bulging muscle in the palm below the base of the thumb. One can also prick the arms and thighs. Readings at the arms and thighs lag by 20 to 35 minutes, so they're fine for determining fasting levels and the levels at 2 or 3 hours.

fene48

@urbanracer et al,

The best news was NO MEDICATION required ......... Woooo hoooo. I'm one very happy (if a bit emotional now!) bunny this morning.

Away on holiday this week, so off to find an ice cream and dirty burger now!!!!!! ..... Joke!
Great news and result Heretic! If you make changes to your diet etc you can always find out if it was effective by asking for a fructosamine test. Similar to the a1c, but it tells you what happened in the last 2-3 weeks instead of months.

Keep up the good work.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Blimey my Hba1c is about 7 ish, and my DN isn't happy with that.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
From your earlier post, fasting BG down 6.6 to 5.8 in only 3 weeks, excellent! When was the HbA1c of 11?

About 50% of the contribution to an A1c result comes from the immediate previous month. The test does not average evenly over the preceding 3 months.

Web searching turns up alternate sites to the fingertips, for testing. The bulging muscle in the palm below the base of the thumb. One can also prick the arms and thighs. Readings at the arms and thighs lag by 20 to 35 minutes, so they're fine for determining fasting levels and the levels at 2 or 3 hours.
@sud5nala
My untial Hba1c that came back at 11% (97) was taken mid May - I hadn't got a clue what it meant back then! , but knew it was high and scares the life out of me! I am due for the full 3 month test in August. I'm a bit worried now. I'm away on holiday this week so haven't been as 'Diligent' diet wise as I might have been.
Equally whilst I have cut down significantly on Carbs, I have still enjoyed cereals (w/o sugar of course) in the morning, and a sandwich on granary bread a couple of lunchtimes a week - so pleased with where I am currently.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[
@urbanracer et al,

Well done you must be really pleased with your self. As for testing if you think you could become obsessed or it would be stressful then you don't have to do it some people do it and some really don't want to. Keep up the good work and enjoy your holiday

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
[

Well done you must be really pleased with your self. As for testing if you think you could become obsessed or it would be stressful then you don't have to do it some people do it and some really don't want to. Keep up the good work and enjoy your holiday
Thank you @Pinkorchid I really don't think testing will work for me .... yet!
I'm enjoying the holiday thank you, and tbh, I need the break. The last few months have been extremely stressful and upsetting. I have however had a few treats .... Possibly deserved, but pray not the slippery slope! The family are with me and sooooo supportive - just what I need.

Thanks again.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Blimey my Hba1c is about 7 ish, and my DN isn't happy with that.
@dawnmc I think there is still 'work to do' here - this result is my second reading only 9 weeks into this! ..... I want to get this down further! I think the PN is pleased given the progress I have made in such a short period of time.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@dawnmc I think there is still 'work to do' here - this result is my second reading only 9 weeks into this! ..... I want to get this down further! I think the PN is pleased given the progress I have made in such a short period of time.
I think you should be too, mine has always been about 7.1 despite what I do.