Coconut Oil

fene48

Good morning,
May I know what coconut oil is for.
Is it very high in cholesterol?
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Yup, if you are looking for the saturated stuff you don't have to go any further. If you are worried about cholesterol and your arteries, go to a place like the Mayo Clinic for advice. If you don't want to worry, wait for reassuring advice on this forum until you get it. The impression I have is that the jury is still out due to lack of long term studies - so for me it falls into the 'use with care category'.
Coconut oil is used for frying and Asian cooking among other things. Some even use it as a spread.
As a young bloke I used it for sun tanning - did not work, but you certainly looked nice and shiny.
(I guess its just a question of which orchard you want to do your cherry picking in).:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
Coconut oil is fantastic. It's healthy for ur pancreas and liver as they don't have to break it down like other oils. It is not high in colesterol. It actually gives your liver and pancreas a rest. Also it has a much higher burning level than other oils so is healthy to cook with. Go on Google u will see all the health benefits from coconut oil.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I stay away from it. Raises my cholesterol. I love it but don't use it. You can cook anything in it , use it in fat bomb coffee or eat it off a spoon.

Reactions: 2 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can cook anything in it , use it in fat bomb coffee or eat it off a spoon.
Hmmmm, yes.... and mix it into hot drinks, and low-carb desserts if I am still quite hungry.

I started using it in place of body lotion as well. Feels better and is cheaper :cool:

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Don't think I'll be driving to Bexhill though.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Or Bognor Regis!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your link to lucybee is interesting but it must be noted that it is a selling site and as such could be biased
CAROL

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning,
May I know what coconut oil is for.
Is it very high in cholesterol?
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Coconut oil is nicely stable at high temperatures, so can be used for cooking hot.
It also has benefits for skin and hair, both applied to skin and eaten.

The best talk I have seen so far on debunking the saturated fat paranoia is this talk. It is from the PHCUK conference last month. The speaker is the originator and author of the Xpert course, used by the NHS. She used to promote the old low fat high carb way of eating, but has taken on the new evidence has updated her course and training to incorporate it. She promotes a real unprocessed food diet with lower carbs and enough fat to be healthy.

She explains it excellently in this video from the conference.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here's an interesting fact on 'stable' coconut oil, and a simple test now it's summer there.
Leave it out of the fridge, and see it it melts, goes soft, or stays hard.

Virgin and RBD coconut oils melt at 24 °C (76 °F), foods containing coconut oil tend to melt in warm climates.
A higher melting point is desirable in these warm climates, so the oil is hydrogenated. The melting point of hydrogenated coconut oil is 36–40 °C (97–104 °F).

I don't eat hydrogenated oils, easy for me to see, if it's rock hard, it's hydrogenated, and you wouldn't believe how much cheap rubbish is made and put in a nice jar now it's a trendy miracle food.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that cheap KTC oil is okay, and melts at warmer room temperatures too. However, extra virgin organic more costly oil smells better and has a different colour, so I wonder why.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found that cheap KTC oil is okay, and melts at warmer room temperatures too. However, extra virgin organic more costly oil smells better and has a different colour, so I wonder why.
KTC won't be hydrogenated then, but it will be made by a chemical process,
Refined, using hexane to recover the oil, then bleached, so it's got a more palitable colour, then deodorised.

A very similar process to the cheapest 'vegetable' oil, and not something I've want to ever eat I'm afraid.