high blood sugar

Sandy@3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have high blood sugars everyday when I wake up. How can I control this overnight ?

Reactions: 2 people

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Fasting blood sugars are the last thing to lower on a controlled carb diet. You might want to talk to your doctor about metformin if you are not already on it. What is high? Without actual numbers it is hard for people to give advice. Also what is your diet like, what do you eat? Welcome to the forum and explore the threads. In particular look up dawn phenomenon. I will also tag @daisy1 to send you the information package all newcomers receive.

Reactions: 4 people

Sandy@3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting blood sugars are the last thing to lower on a controlled carb diet. You might want to talk to your doctor about metformin if you are not already on it. What is high? Without actual numbers it is hard for people to give advice. Also what is your diet like, what do you eat? Welcome to the forum and explore the threads. In particular look up dawn phenomenon. I will also tag @daisy1 to send you the information package all newcomers receive.
I am on Metformin Extended tabs. Blood sugars in am are 155 to 199. I eat chicken and mostly green veggies. Thank you for your help. I had a hard time trying to access this site. Also eat eggs ,oatmeal , salads and fruit.

Last edited by a moderator:

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oatmeal is almost pure carbohydrate and fruit is very high too with the exception of berries. I would completely cut oatmeal out. Have your eggs in the morning with some bacon or sausage. Check nutritional info and look for ones with 0 or 1 gram carbohydrate per serving as they can vary widely in added sugars and fillers. Fruit is best avoided entirely until your sugars stabilize where you want them and then can be added back carefully and in small amounts. Test before eating and then at 1 and 2 hours after the meal to see what particular foods are doing to you as everyone is different. I am personally the most insulin resistant in the morning and ANY carbs send me high. I can tolerate a bit more in the evening so I eat accordingly. Salads are good just keep the tomato to small amounts as they are actually a fruit. Have a look in the nutrition thread on this forum at what low carbers are eating. Once you get things stabilized you can adjust your diet to your own needs but until then I would recomend being quite strict. Hope this helps.

Sandy@3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oatmeal is almost pure carbohydrate and fruit is very high too with the exception of berries. I would completely cut oatmeal out. Have your eggs in the morning with some bacon or sausage. Check nutritional info and look for ones with 0 or 1 gram carbohydrate per serving as they can vary widely in added sugars and fillers. Fruit is best avoided entirely until your sugars stabilize where you want them and then can be added back carefully and in small amounts. Test before eating and then at 1 and 2 hours after the meal to see what particular foods are doing to you as everyone is different. I am personally the most insulin resistant in the morning and ANY carbs send me high. I can tolerate a bit more in the evening so I eat accordingly. Salads are good just keep the tomato to small amounts as they are actually a fruit. Have a look in the nutrition thread on this forum at what low carbers are eating. Once you get things stabilized you can adjust your diet to your own needs but until then I would recomend being quite strict. Hope this helps.
Thank you, I have learned some new things with your help .

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Sandy@3

Hello Sandy and welcome to the forum :) To help you, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Sandy@3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Sandy@3

Hello Sandy and welcome to the forum :) To help you, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Thanks ,but what does the abreviation of 4 to 7 stand for ? What does that change to ? I am trying to cut carbs but , I must still be eating the wrong ones. I eat very small meals all day. Going for check up today. Again thank you.

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4 to 7 mmol/l is a target range for the amount of glucose in your blood. This is what you need to control. Many of us have found that the best way to do this is to buy your own blood glucose meter and self test. That way you can determine what foods and in particular how many carbohydrates you can tolerate and still stay in the target range. Search the forum for "eat to your meter" for discussions about this technique. I use the SD Codefree meter because it has the cheapest test strips and is reasonably accurate. Sadly, T2 diabetics don't generally get meters and strips on prescription.

Hope this helps and please continue to ask questions, there is a lot of experience here.

Regards

Bluebell

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks ,but what does the abreviation of 4 to 7 stand for ? What does that change to ? I am trying to cut carbs but , I must still be eating the wrong ones. I eat very small meals all day. Going for check up today. Again thank you.
Hi Sandy
Where in the world are you? There are different measurements used for Blood Sugar levels in different places. The 4-7 mmol/l Bluebell spoke about is the UK measurement which translates to 75-125 mg/dl which are probably the units you are using. Hope that helps. if you do order the SDcodefree meter make sure you get the readings in the units that suit you or you'll have to be checking conversion tables all the time.
Regards
mark

Sandy@3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4 to 7 mmol/l is a target range for the amount of glucose in your blood. This is what you need to control. Many of us have found that the best way to do this is to buy your own blood glucose meter and self test. That way you can determine what foods and in particular how many carbohydrates you can tolerate and still stay in the target range. Search the forum for "eat to your meter" for discussions about this technique. I use the SD Codefree meter because it has the cheapest test strips and is reasonably accurate. Sadly, T2 diabetics don't generally get meters and strips on prescription.

Hope this helps and please continue to ask questions, there is a lot of experience here.

Regards

Bluebell

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I am using a meter but every morning I'm at 155 the rest of the day is levels going up and down. I eat really small meals.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a conversion chart here

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

as this is a UK website most of the measurement units you will see are the UK ones. It may help us answer your questions better if you convert your readings before posting.

155 is high (8.6mmol/l). What are you at bedtime? This will show if you are having a morning liver dump. (Dawn Phenomenon)

Sandy@3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a conversion chart here

as this is a UK website most of the measurement units you will see are the UK ones. It may help us answer your questions better if you convert your readings before posting.

155 is high (8.6mmol/l). What are you at bedtime? This will show if you are having a morning liver dump. (Dawn Phenomenon)
135 or higher sorry I don't know how to change. What is liver dump ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
135 or higher sorry I don't know how to change. What is liver dump ?

I gave you a link to the converter in my previous post. Here it is again.

135 at bedtime is also high (7.5mmol/l)

It is beginning to look like your food choices are causing these high levels. Any rice, cereal, bread, potatoes, pasta or things made with flour are our danger foods, also most fruits. You need to test immediately before eating and 2 hours after your first bite to see if that meal is causing problems for you. A rise of more than 35 (in your units) means you have eaten too many carbs. In fact even a rise of 35 is a bit high. Under 27 would be better. By using your meter this way, and keeping a food diary, you can learn which foods you need to either eliminate or cut right down on.

A liver dump is also known as Dawn Phenomenon. If you use the search box on this forum you will find many hundreds of threads about this. Basically it is when your liver dumps glucose in your blood stream in times of fasting, stress, exercise, illness and so on. It is quite natural and happens to all people, not just diabetics. It is your liver looking after you.

Sandy@3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave you a link to the converter in my previous post. Here it is again.

135 at bedtime is also high (7.5mmol/l)

It is beginning to look like your food choices are causing these high levels. Any rice, cereal, bread, potatoes, pasta or things made with flour are our danger foods, also most fruits. You need to test immediately before eating and 2 hours after your first bite to see if that meal is causing problems for you. A rise of more than 35 (in your units) means you have eaten too many carbs. In fact even a rise of 35 is a bit high. Under 27 would be better. By using your meter this way, and keeping a food diary, you can learn which foods you need to either eliminate or cut right down on.

A liver dump is also known as Dawn Phenomenon. If you use the search box on this forum you will find many hundreds of threads about this. Basically it is when your liver dumps glucose in your blood stream in times of fasting, stress, exercise, illness and so on. It is quite natural and happens to all people, not just diabetics. It is your liver looking after you.
Thanks, I am not eating things like rice or pasta. My problem seems to be not knowing what a good carb for me is. Going to the website. At the doctor now. Thanks for every one's help so appreciated. Looks like I need to take a lesson in diabetes.

Sandy@3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I am not eating things like rice or pasta. My problem seems to be not knowing what a good carb for me is. Going to the website. At the doctor now. Thanks for every one's help so appreciated. Looks like I need to take a lesson in diabetes.

Just did conversion I am at 10, 2 hours after my breakfast. Oh my goodness ! No wonder I am having problems.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just did conversion I am at 10, 2 hours after my breakfast. Oh my goodness ! No wonder I am having problems.

Indeed, if you had cereal/oats/fruit! Your meter is your best guide to what you can/can't eat. Use it alongside a food diary and you will soon start to understand. Perhaps you could try eggs cooked any which way for breakfast, perhaps with mushrooms, tomatoes, and/or bacon. Good luck :)

Sandy@3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed, if you had cereal/oats/fruit! Your meter is your best guide to what you can/can't eat. Use it alongside a food diary and you will soon start to understand. Perhaps you could try eggs cooked any which way for breakfast, perhaps with mushrooms, tomatoes, and/or bacon. Good luck :)
Cholesterol 195 too high. I have to stop egg yolks. All my labs are too high. I am looking at foods for low carb diet. Never knew finding something to eat was so hard. So funny and confusing

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cholesterol 195 too high. I have to stop egg yolks. All my labs are too high. I am looking at foods for low carb diet. Never knew finding something to eat was so hard. So funny and confusing

Why would you stop eating egg yokes? It is a fallacy that eggs cause raised cholesterol. That is old science these days. The majority of our cholesterol is made naturally by our livers. Very little comes from the foods we eat. Eggs are good for you. I eat between 2 and 3 eggs a day, boiled, poached or fried. Then there are omelettes. There are again hundreds of threads on the forums about cholesterol, and also about eggs. A search should find them for you.

Again, your cholesterol measurement units are not the ones we use in the UK so I have no idea what yours is!

Have a look at this thread, which may help you with low carbs stuff.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

and also at this
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds