First 24 hour fast - by accident

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not spectacular, but for me something of an achievement. I wanted to share my tiny success with you good folks, who have been such a help and inspiration for me over past 3-4 months. My thanks to all for the support.

I don't post often coz early on, when considering whether or not to go with LCHF, I decided not to do anything extreme, but to just follow a simple low carb menu, similar as poss to how I've always eaten & one that wouldn't cause too much hassle or need a lot of thinking about. I was thinking mainly in terms of a diet that would see me through as a lifetime commitment from here on. So nothing to write home about really. That approach has been successful up to now, I've lost 2 stone since starting & daily readings dropped from being in the 7s-8s, to now the past few weeks they are normally in the 5s, with a few 4s or 6s occasionally.

Anyway, today I had no plans to make it a fasting day. It just sort of happened.

I normally skip breakfast so that wasn't different. The difference today is that I have been very busy, catching up with some of the stuff that should have been done the past couple of days, but wasn't because it was just too **** hot !! So that kept me occupied & when it came to abt 2.o'clock, my normal time for eating, I decided to carry on for a bit & finish what I was doing. Then I started something else, and before I knew it, I was very pleased to realise that it was late afternoon. I decided to keep going & see if I could make it to the 24 hours from dinner last night. In the end, it was easy really, though I did feel a couple of hunger pangs mid-afternoon, I was able to push them away - I think because I was fully occupied. I suspect that if I hadn't had such a lot to do, I might have given in and had lunch, or a nibble at least, even if it was late.

Having done it once, I would like to think that I could do it again, and maybe make it a regular part of managing my blood sugars. But I'm a bit worried about finding the strength to resist temptation, if I'm not fully occupied to take my mind off that lovely piece of chicken & salad or whatever, that is in the fridge waiting for me.

If you've managed to read my ramblings this far (well done, & thank you); can I ask - if you fast, how do you get through each day, do you need to stop yourself from thinking about food when you reach your normal eating time? Does fasting become a habit/routine that doesn't need much effort? I know there are some here who do regular days, 4-day or even 7-day fasts ! (you know who you are :)) I could never hope to copy your successes, but I would like to be able to try fasting in a more structured way, even if only once a month.

Any bright ideas ?? :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's all mindset.

And now you've proved to yourself you can do it, you know you can do it again.
Like anything else, the first time is the hardest.

Reactions: 2 people

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Guess I can only try, and see what happens.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also find liquids, or something like bovril, oxo, or marmite, as a drink helps.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, will take that on board - I've only had water today, after my usual 3 "wake me up" cups of tea !

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, will take that on board - I've only had water today, after my usual 3 "wake me up" cups of tea !

You need to watch out for dehydration, and while water is good, if you sweat, you may lose salt, so if it's hot there, you need to take that into account.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Salvia
When I'm fasting I have lots of tea (with unsweetened soya milk) and coffee with a 50:50 mix of soya milk and double cream. If I get hunger pangs I have a glug of double cream (straight from the pot I'm ashamed to say). This seems to keep me satisfied. I have tried some broth type soups as well but haven't got around to making my own (I used Waitrose Consommé, the chicken is nicer than the beef..) . I find it easier to decide beforehand that I'm not going to eat and for how long.. but then again that might just be me. I can now do a day or two without really thinking about it. Next target is to emulate Mr Potts with a 7 day fast when or calendar is clear.

Reactions: 2 people

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good ideas @bulkbiker, many thanks, and certainly ones that I can try quite easily. I like the idea of a couple of glugs of cream (straight from the pot is so much better :)) so will definitely remember that. I think you're right that planning fasting days before hand is the right way to do it, rather than hit or miss. I was a bit worried about keeping myself occupied, so that I stop thinking about food. I suppose once you get used to it, it just becomes part of the routine.

I think I'll try another fast day the end of this week and see how I go. and build up from there. Don't think I could aspire to copy Kevin's success - so I'll leave that to you :)