CGM/GM Price Comparison

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Ahh ok thanks. Any idea of how much of a reduced cost? I've looked on the Animas website but can't seem to find anything to do with the cgm bits.
Again thanks for all your useful info. Much appreciated
Start up kit is £500 and 4 sensor box is £186 after that or single sensors are about £50.
You will also need a note from DSN/consultant or GP to say they are aware you are going to use the CGM.

Reactions: 2 people

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
If you are unable to purchase through Animas, you can look at diashop.de (if you don't speak german, google translate is your friend!), as they sell 4 x G4 sensors for EUR299 (approx. £220 depending on fx rate) and transmitters for EUR399 (approx. £295).

Reactions: caius2x8

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes, you could argue that AT definitely charge over the odds for it...

JustmeB

Hi, I have three boxes of Dexcom G4 sensors that I have received as a Christmas gift and would like to sell. I am happy to sell them for £220 each.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I have three boxes of Dexcom G4 sensors that I have received as a Christmas gift and would like to sell. I am happy to sell them for £220 each.

An expensive gift : D Are they excess to your requirements or have you stopped using your Dexcom?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
They have normally a years use by date on them so why not use them. No one would be daft enough to buy them because there's no guarantee with them.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've updated the initial post. Interestingly, if you can get a month out of each G4 sensor, with the new pricing it now works out cheaper than the Libre!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've updated the initial post. Interestingly, if you can get a month out of each G4 sensor, with the new pricing it now works out cheaper than the Libre!

Tim, I think you need to correct the G5 Transmitter life on the update. As I understand it they only last 3 months?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have had a G4 for almost 2 years now and have kept accurate record of sensor life. The average sensor lasts 21 days. (This ignores 3 which failed same day as inserted and were replaced by AT/dexcom FRee of charge) shortest was 8 days longest was 42 days)
Thanks MoonSpirit. It seems to very much depend on a person by person basis. on the six I've used, they have been either 27-29 days or 1-3 days. There wasn't anything in between.

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks MoonSpirit. It seems to very much depend on a person by person basis. on the six I've used, they have been either 27-29 days or 1-3 days. There wasn't anything in between.
Assuming you got given free replacements for the 1-3 day ones then they don't count so your average will be 28 days.
I always loved long hot baths and saunas, but for me that is the killer of sensors. They survive quick showers and quick warm bats without too much problem, but after a long hot bath or sauna it is a one in three chance the sensor will fail within hours. I suppose I must call it luck that I'm currently living on a boat where showers are the only option.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been in touch with dexcom about the g5. They said an android receiver app is potentially coming in the 2nd week of January.

However the told me a transmitter costs £200 and lasts for 100 days (about 3 months). Sensors cost £50 and last 7 days (may last longer but they only support up to 7).

This is a lot more expensive than than the libre I'm currently using?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been in touch with dexcom about the g5. They said an android receiver app is potentially coming in the 2nd week of January.

However the told me a transmitter costs £200 and lasts for 100 days (about 3 months). Sensors cost £50 and last 7 days (may last longer but they only support up to 7).

This is a lot more expensive than than the libre I'm currently using?

At the moment the G5 sensors are identical to G4s which many people use for a lot more than 7 days. I average around 18 days. In my case the sensors work out cheaper than a Libre but I've stuck with the G4 because of the transmitter life - last 3 kept going for 12 months, 13 months & 8 months. I use the xDrip+ app on my Android phone with a DIY built xDrip box.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
And I'm happy to use the Dexcom sensors for 14-16 days with G5 working with an artificial pancreas system. It remains accurate enough over that period of time.

justadad

At the moment the G5 sensors are identical to G4s which many people use for a lot more than 7 days. I average around 18 days. In my case the sensors work out cheaper than a Libre but I've stuck with the G4 because of the transmitter life - last 3 kept going for 12 months, 13 months & 8 months. I use the xDrip+ app on my Android phone with a DIY built xDrip box.

Hi,
My son was recently diagnosed as T1D. Still searching for answers to, well almost everything. As I am considering a CGM for him, what would you, as an experienced user suggest: the Libre, the g4 + the xDrip (might be a hustle to install) or the g5 which requires little or no downloads of applications. What concerns me most is the lifespan of the sensors, how do you know your sensor is giving you correct readings if it is, say day 20, while the manufacturer says they were designed to last 7 days. Isn't that risky?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What concerns me most is the lifespan of the sensors, how do you know your sensor is giving you correct readings if it is, say day 20, while the manufacturer says they were designed to last 7 days. Isn't that risky?
Hi Justadad, that's precisely what the manufacturers are playing on. Your nervousness. With the exception of the Libre, the other systems require you to calibrate twice a day, so you always have a reference back to how accurate they are. Those of us who use them like this really don't consider it risky (and there are many parents who do so too).

If you are concerned, it's worth joining the T1-CGM group on facebook, where you'll meet loads of others who regularly extend sensors (as I am currently doing with Medtronic ones). Ultimately, the best way to prove it to yourself is to do it, if the thousands that are already doing so isn't enough to convince you.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Justadad, With experience you get a feel for whether the sensor data is good. You may do fewer blood tests but you still need to do some to calibrate & check values.
When the sensor is dying you get scattered readings like this:

upload_2017-1-25_14-12-57.png