"Complete diabetic remission!"

fobbletops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just got back from my first appointment with an endocrinologist, and, subsequent to my latest test results, he says that he considers me to be in "complete diabetic remission"!

My latest fasting glucose was 4.4 mmol/L and my HbA1c was 27 (4.6%). Essentially, I was told it's likely that if I maintain my current weight, or (preferably) continue losing weight, as well as maintain my current diet (lowish carb/lower GI), I can ward off the diabetes for many years, though I am obviously more at risk of it returning than someone who has never been diagnosed with diabetes.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my good news! Needless to say, I'm thrilled! :)
That is fantastic. Can you outline what you are eating specifically.

Reactions: 2 people

Ceres

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is fantastic. Can you outline what you are eating specifically.

Upon diagnosis I went very low-carb, high fat (less than 20g carbs per day from non-starchy veggies, nuts, etc, along with a variety of red meat, chicken, fish; high fat dairy in the form of butter, milk, yoghurt, cheese, cream, etc; and other fats like olive oil), and probably did that for a couple of months? Maybe 3. Then I increased my carb intake to under 100g per day, and re-introduced foods like pasta, rice, bread and potato. I tested extensively during this time to ensure I wasn't spiking too much.

Right now, a typical day will see me have 2 Weet-Bix, high-fat milk and half a banana or strawberries for breakfast. If I'm in a rush, I usually just have a coffee with cream (high fat, of course!). Lunch is often Ryvitas or a slice of bread with natural peanut butter, or egg/meat/cheese and salad. Dinner is pretty varied. I'll often have pasta (around 80-100g) or rice and meat/veggies (stir-fries, stews, etc), sometimes a sandwich. I only eat wholemeal bread at home, but will have white if I'm out and there's no other option. I will usually eat a serve of ice-cream every week or two, and I eat dark chocolate regularly (usually a couple of pieces at a time).

Because I'm still losing weight, I track all my food, so I know exactly how much carbohydrate I'm eating. On average, it will be about 90-100g, but it's sometimes below and sometimes above. For example, I went out for breakfast on Saturday and had a 4-stack of pancakes and my total carb count for that day was 223. I'm happy to have these days every now and then, but try not to make them a habit!

I hope this helps! If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Reactions: Prem51

Type12016

I just got back from my first appointment with an endocrinologist, and, subsequent to my latest test results, he says that he considers me to be in "complete diabetic remission"!

My latest fasting glucose was 4.4 mmol/L and my HbA1c was 27 (4.6%). Essentially, I was told it's likely that if I maintain my current weight, or (preferably) continue losing weight, as well as maintain my current diet (lowish carb/lower GI), I can ward off the diabetes for many years, though I am obviously more at risk of it returning than someone who has never been diagnosed with diabetes.

That's great news, but surely you are refering to Type 2 ? Type 1 diabetics do not have this option no matter how hard closely monitor their diet.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
That's great news, but surely you are refering to Type 2 ? Type 1 diabetics do not have this option no matter how hard closely monitor their diet.
Yes, they are.

Drewabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I'm interested to know what type of diabetes you have.
Are you type 1 or type 2.
There is VERY important difference.
But we'll done I've bought mine down from 13% old money to 7.9% in a year not anywhere near as good as you but we'll done. I'm a type 1 for 58 years.
Drewabetic (Paul)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm interested to know what type of diabetes you have.
Are you type 1 or type 2.
There is VERY important difference.
But we'll done I've bought mine down from 13% old money to 7.9% in a year not anywhere near as good as you but we'll done. I'm a type 1 for 58 years.
Drewabetic (Paul)
Right under the OP's avatar, it says "I reversed my Type 2".

Reactions: Freema

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
Over the last 18 months I have Been a member of Slimming world ( first 12 weeks paid for by my health trust) and have lost 3 stone 7 lbs recently at my annual diabetic check up my doctor have taken me off metformin and a blood pressure tablet Im hoping to lose another 2.5 stone to get down to 12 st 10 lbs So losing weight does help your diabetes

june3579

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
illness
Well done Ceres, I reversed my Diabetes as well, I am still on a low carb diet, I have lost 20Kgs and have a BMI of 24

I started with a Hb A1c of 73 mmol/mol put on 4 Mataformin got it down to 50 mmol/mol in three months and stopped taking my Metaformin and it is down to 35 mmol/mol after a further three months.

My Doctor wrote, WHO (2011) recommend 48 mmol/mol as the diagnostic cut-off for type 2 diabetes.

She told me I was no longer Diabetes.