The head cannot take this!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MissMac weepy, sleepless nights are no fun. Hope you're able to get a nap in today.

When you're ready, head over to DietDoctor.com, and read "How to Reverse Your Diabetes Type 2". At the end is one of my favorite interviews with Jay Wortman, M.D. who used the LCHF diet to normalize his blood glucose levels... http://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes If you become a member, you can watch all the interviews with leading experts on the LCHF diet from around the world. :)

Reactions: 2 people

MissMac

@Winnie53 I had a little look last night and from the non jargon chat, it has made up my mind that I want to try this LCHF thing but it's going to take some serious work initially as there is SO much I don't eat, it just makes me want to vomit if I am honest...so I need to adapt it to me and my relationship with food and cooking?? It's a running joke so this is feeling like hard work...I'd pay someone to come and sort it out for me. In fact I got back in touch with my ex who lives the Paleo diet and am getting some advice from there...anyone ever looked at that? It seems on the surface pretty much what the LCHF is all about! x

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Paleo has huge similarities to LCHF, but has a different slant. Worth having a look at both, since you could easily draw on both to create your own workable diet.

Without knowing whether you are type 1 or 2 (yet), it may not be worth going All Out on anything (yet :) )
At the moment, just eliminating the worst carbs such as sugar, very sweet fruit, and large portions of bread, rice, potato, sweets, cakes and choc, will get you through til you get a proper diagnosis.

Hope that helps. :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Plus if you do decide on lower carb you can try to build from what you DO like. So if you like fish kippers for breakfast, and so on. No need to eat stuff that makes you feel unhappy.
Also sugar free jelly may help with the sweet cravings...

MissMac

Thanks again guys...I think the thing that appealed a lot about the paleo was the nuts and also...dare I admit the different versions of pancakes and stuff....it's breakfast that is causing me the biggest headache because I cannot stomach anything that tastes strongly...so the idea of eggs eggs eggs is just puke puke puke for me! Anyway..I've just taken some time off work next week which will be after the official diagnosis and I will go from there..just bracing myself that the GP is not going to be pro active with low carb but we can wait and see and I might be surprised (just feels in the south west UK they can take some time catching up with the rest of the world) lol xxx

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well as Brunneria mentioned it depends on what type you are. If you are a type 1 then carb cutting alone will not be enough and you will need insulin.
If type 2 then the carb cutting does seem to help people a lot.

Reactions: 3 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from the US MissMac. :)

My bad. Apologies for presenting you with a diet that is so dramatically different from what you're currently eating that it doesn't feel possible. You're not alone.

When I wrote that post, I was coming from the perspective of someone who had left employment two months weeks prior to being re-diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and who had chosen to not become re-employed until I got a handle on my "new" lifestyle post-diagnosis. Most people don't have that option.

Had my circumstances been different, it's highly doubtful I would have been able to start my new diet within three days time. For you, the place to start is beginning to think about where you can make small changes, eating healthier foods that you enjoy.

The paleo and low carbohydrate high fat (LCHF) diet are so similar, I studied both initially. The biggest differences is that paleo excludes dairy and grains, and LCHF excludes or greatly limits fruit initially if you have diabetes, though berries, and low carb fruits are fine for some of us, even those like me who have severe insulin resistance. How much the LCHF diet limits sugary and starchy foods varies greatly. It's highly individual. How insulin resistant you are determines this. I can eat a small handful of berries, but am still working up to eating a quarter of a peach. The good news is that as a type 2, I can still enjoy having part of a fresh peach because I can walk off the blood glucose spike - (a type 1 would adjust their insulin). Know that there are healthy work arounds. :)

I participate in a local diabetes group. Some of us switch to a whole foods diet immediately, others take 6 months or more to make the shift. Both approaches work. The latter just takes longer, and that's okay.

Up until my re-diagnoses of type 2 diabetes last year, I ate processed foods daily, and I loved sugary foods, though I'd already given up wheat, rye, and barley 4 years earlier when I was diagnosed with non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Switching to whole foods was a big change for me. It will be for you too.

I think the others are right. The first step is learning what type of diabetes you have, something that was never done for me. But know that regardless of what type you have, the diet will be similar. What will be different is the medical treatment you receive.

I'm glad you're taking a few days off to give you time to begin learning about diabetes and it's treatment. Your medical training will serve you well in looking at the different medical treatments available to you. And you'll also get great support here regarding questions about medications and insulins, also diet and nutritional supplements. I personally know next to nothing about the former, my focus is on the latter. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again guys...I think the thing that appealed a lot about the paleo was the nuts and also...dare I admit the different versions of pancakes and stuff....it's breakfast that is causing me the biggest headache because I cannot stomach anything that tastes strongly...so the idea of eggs eggs eggs is just puke puke puke for me! Anyway..I've just taken some time off work next week which will be after the official diagnosis and I will go from there..just bracing myself that the GP is not going to be pro active with low carb but we can wait and see and I might be surprised (just feels in the south west UK they can take some time catching up with the rest of the world) lol xxx
You could of course always go without breakfast like me? Just tea or coffee maybe?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker if I skipped breakfast prior to becoming adapted to the low carbohydrate ketogenic diet, I sometimes would be fine, other times I'd get a headache. After thinking about it, we're all so individual...it's an idea. Intermittent fasting is another way to attack hyperinsulinemia.

I've been slow to try intermittent fasting, but most evenings, while I can't skip breakfast, I do stop eating after dinner and don't resume eating until breakfast, which gives me a daily 12 -14 hour fast. I think it helps. :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MissMac as you begin to cut back on sugary and starchy foods, more will be possible. But right now, you're on what's referred to as the "blood sugar roller coaster" which means in the beginning, you'll likely need to eat every three hours, either a meal or a snack, to feel well. On the other hand, if you don't eat every 3 hours sometimes during the day and you feel okay, that's fine. You'll find what may not be possible now will be possible later as you begin to make changes to your diet. :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to explain why... Eating every 3 hours helps to manage cravings, which are a big hurdle in the beginning. For example, if you eat a handful of raw nuts or perhaps some fresh vegetables dipped in full fat yogurt, seasoned if you prefer, between meals, you're less likely to have cravings, which can lead to you eating sugary or starchy foods.

It's good that you're experimenting. :)

MissMac

@Winnie53 there truly is NO reason to apologise....you lot have been, quite literally life savers just for being there and engaging with a very confused, stubborn, scared, fussy, emotional, depressed, anxious me. It's a massive learning curve and depending on what the GP is like tomorrow and with hopefully some more answers medically about things, I can start to make informed choices and be able to work out what is what.
I have referred myself back to my therapist to try and sort out the depression side of things so I at least can have some clarity to be able to function day to day which is seriously lacking at the moment! I am thinking, if he (I know it's a he not being sexist ha ha) is still on the complex carb handle then I will be ignoring his dietary advice for sure. I am thinking I may actually pay out for someone if I can find someone, who will sit down with me and knows all about reversing/lowering type 2 in line with my very fussy eating and at least if it is "prescribed" and in front of me..I can work with that.....researching and stuff feels too big-a-task at the moment as there is so much conflicting stuff out there....I really am that lame that if it's not in black and white in front of me..I grow exasperated (as you probably all are with me right now!) and give up....still some plan is better than no plan.
I did think whilst walking the dog that I have still got lower sugars than that of my fasting test and that's from having eaten so in a way, though they are still high they have come down (if that makes logical sense). Anyway. I dare say I will be popping through on and off but the man's home now and I need to eat! xxxxx

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so glad you're going to reconnect with your therapist. Here in the US, we have therapists who specialize in working with clients who are living with a variety life changing medical conditions. Therapists are also useful during times of transition. Diabetes meets both criteria. :)

When I made the decision to leave a high stress job that I loved two years ago, it was the hardest thing I've ever done. The therapist I saw during that transition helped me so much. Money well spent.

It's completely possible that you have type 2 diabetes. It's also possible that you have another type of diabetes, but it takes time to sort out. Either way, because you found your way here, you'll be fine. The support here is the best I've found.

What I can tell you is that if it's type 2 diabetes, your blood glucose levels will slowly begin to drop as you begin to change what you're eating, but it takes time. My blood glucose levels took a full month to drop and stabilize which was confusing for me because people who don't have severe insulin resistance can sometimes do it in a week. At the time, I remember people telling me that I probably had a different type of diabetes, which always left me in tears.

We have lots of diabetes coaches in the US. I imagine you have them where you live too. If you can't afford a coach or nutritionist specialized in diabetes and in using the low carbohydrate diet to reduce you blood glucose and insulin levels, no worries. We can simplify it for you here on this thread, and give you tips and strategies daily along the way.

I recently supported a member of our local diabetes group in starting the LCHF diet. He had had type 2 diabetes for 20 years, had stopped taking all his medications 6 months earlier, and didn't want to take medication anymore. His A1c was 14%+. He re-established his relationship with his endocrinologist who supported him in trying the LCHF diet with the understanding that he could restart his medication at any time. It took him a month to start the diet, but when he did, and he had his first blood glucose level below 300 mg/dL within days of starting the diet, he was so excited. That was my experience too. Watching those blood glucose readings begin to drop restores our hope and deepens our commitment. :)

MissMac

@Winnie53 well the GP that I spoke to on the phone last week with this diagnosis said it was likely to be Type 2 but then I guess they would really...next question out of his mouth...how's your weight? And I've read just about enough to know that the train of thought that only fat people get Type 2 is total tosh...I also have a borderline underactive thyroid and to top it all off have other medical issues that create insulin resistance so all in all...they best be up to date! If ANYONE starts talking BMI I am very likely to take them apart....as much as I have to use it within my nursing I do not give it a single bit of credence so anyone that does, doesn't last too long with me!! I'm not "up there" with the different forms of diabetes other than the normal 3, gestational, type 1 and of course 2..though have just read about the LADA as well....there's just SO much (too much?) information from all corners..I think I might need to take a nap! xxx

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes @MissMac when my diabetes journey began 35 years ago with hypoglycemia, I weighed 105 pounds. I still think there's a good possibility that you have type 2, but regardless of what type you have, you'll be okay. :)

kevin hogg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Come on lady you really can beat this, there are so many delicious foods out there that dont whap your gi out of orbit, but it takes time to learn.
My oh and I just look at the menus when going out and she eats what she wants and I eat what I want mostly juicy steaks with veg
At the seet/pudding course I tuck into a cheese board and she goes for something sweet which luckily I dont want
There are alternatives to everything you just have to open your eyes to the delicious food on offer to you.
I have refound my craving for pickled eggs and m&s do a great line in bacon strips, they even have courgette spaghetti a great alternative to the slimey real thing.
Go on lady the futures out there waiting for you, the past is dead and gone, go out and meet it, life is a woderful thing go out and live it

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@MissMac just to say hope that are helpful and supportive today. X

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You are getting a great attitude - see the head just can take this ;)

For info even the nhs are beginning to get the BMI rubbish. It was a population measure and not designed for individuals. Have a look at this http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/11Novem...x-with-a-big-belly-deadlier-than-obesity.aspx

Now you are getting there and working out your direction of travel can I point you to my first 3 month story. It hopefully gives you some additional pointers. The link is in my signature

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
So....I have posted elsewhere but just thought I would try and ask.....I was told over the phone that I have diabetes after my fasting glucose was really raised and the more I read the more panicked I am becoming really! All I was told was to "watch my sugar intake and drink lots" until I am seen by the GP on Tuesday...totally helpful I don't think! Oh and also a "I hope I haven't ruined your weekend" well yeah, you have... I didn't plan on spending it in tears!
Anyway I digress, having done some reading (cannot handle too much just now) it seems my fasting hyperglycemia is above anything related to Type 2 or maybe I am just not understanding enough. The fasting was 15.9 and I had hardly eaten the night before so it was well over 12 hours of fasting...what are your thoughts? I am so not dealing with this at all, people are being great but I feel like I am in this little bubble of self hating at the moment (LONG story on that one).
Anyway, I would be intrigued to hear any thoughts from those of you who are not as pathetic as me!!!!
Thanks in advance
Jules xx

Ahhh Jules, I remember that same feeling of total overwhelm just 3 months ago...it's scary isn't it?

Let me assure you, there is a big dollop of hope and a great life post diagnosis. Strangely, my diagnosis has been the best thing that has happened to me in many years... As it provoked me into making an irrevocable lifestyle change and three months on I am healthier, lighter, happier....and I see no reason with your initial numbers not to see similar changes.

Look at the low carb part of this form, check out www.dietdoctor.co.uk, your doctor will probably arrange for an HbA1C which is a blood test that will accurately identify your level of diabetes.

So, be kind to yourself and even in your early fragile state, decide to flip your psychological switch and determine that this is not the end, just the beginning of a great life:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 6 people