The head cannot take this!

MissMac

Ahhh Jules, I remember that same feeling of total overwhelm just 3 months ago...it's scary isn't it?

Let me assure you, there is a big dollop of hope and a great life post diagnosis. Strangely, my diagnosis has been the best thing that has happened to me in many years... As it provoked me into making an irrevocable lifestyle change and three months on I am healthier, lighter, happier....and I see no reason with your initial numbers not to see similar changes.

Look at the low carb part of this form, check out www.dietdoctor.co.uk, your doctor will probably arrange for an HbA1C which is a blood test that will accurately identify your level of diabetes.

So, be kind to yourself and even in your early fragile state, decide to flip your psychological switch and determine that this is not the end, just the beginning of a great life:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
Thank you SO much xcxxxxx

Reactions: 2 people

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Hello @MissMac This forum is wonderful, without them I wouldn't have lost so much weight and slowly my levels are coming down. I'd no symptoms either, I was tested 6 monthly due to father,granny, dad's 3 brothers, my brother and twin sister all Type 2 But even though I knew it was around the corner I pigged on sweets ( 3 chocolate flakes in a row. Giant bars of Aero...... the list goes on). But then I was diagnosed 4 years ago.
I started the Low Carb, High Fat diet (LCHF) and along with a book the diabetic nurse recommended me Dr Michael Mosley 'The 8-week blood sugar diet' I have never felt healthier. Have a look on Amazon for the book, it cost me £3 something (cheaper than on the high street). It had meal plans that I have adapted to suit.
Anger....... well I was always wanting to kill my husband (nobody else), but now my levels are down I don't want to! Well not as much, normally when he leaves a sink full of washing up and the grease is cold and over everything! You will start to feel better, slowly and steadily.
If the diagnosis is diabetes, try testing your blood sugar daily before and after meals. The Dr might not fund the equipment (will if Type 1) so look again on Amazon for SD CodeFree meter and testing strips. There is a site to buy directly from SD along with a discount code, but they don't post to my area in the far north, so I'm stuck with Amazon.
See you again soonxx

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @MissMac This forum is wonderful, without them I wouldn't have lost so much weight and slowly my levels are coming down. I'd no symptoms either, I was tested 6 monthly due to father,granny, dad's 3 brothers, my brother and twin sister all Type 2 But even though I knew it was around the corner I pigged on sweets ( 3 chocolate flakes in a row. Giant bars of Aero...... the list goes on). But then I was diagnosed 4 years ago.
I started the Low Carb, High Fat diet (LCHF) and along with a book the diabetic nurse recommended me Dr Michael Mosley 'The 8-week blood sugar diet' I have never felt healthier. Have a look on Amazon for the book, it cost me £3 something (cheaper than on the high street). It had meal plans that I have adapted to suit.
Anger....... well I was always wanting to kill my husband (nobody else), but now my levels are down I don't want to! Well not as much, normally when he leaves a sink full of washing up and the grease is cold and over everything! You will start to feel better, slowly and steadily.
If the diagnosis is diabetes, try testing your blood sugar daily before and after meals. The Dr might not fund the equipment (will if Type 1) so look again on Amazon for SD CodeFree meter and testing strips. There is a site to buy directly from SD along with a discount code, but they don't post to my area in the far north, so I'm stuck with Amazon.
See you again soonxx

Beryl, a bit of an aside here (and apologies to MissMac for going off-topic withBeryl), but do you have a trusted friend or relative living on the mainland (if I recall you're on the islands?) you could use as a postbox for a strip orders? The online code at Homehealth is worth having. It roughly means if you order 5 pots, you only pay for 4, so that leaves more than plenty to reimburse someone for sending on your little parcels every now and again.

Alternatively, I'd put in a call to Homehealth and ask if there's any way they could post to you. It could be something to do with some of their other products on the site, rather than the strips, and they've adopted a blanket approach to make dispatching simpler.

Homehealth are a lovely, lovely business owned by a charming family who really want to do the right thing. I'm not a relative or anything, but over time, with contact with one of the family over time, I've learned how decent they are. Could be worth the price of a call.

MissMac

See you again soonxx
Thank you....I have a meter as am using the one from work but am going to buy the lancets and strips of my own accord and I cannot see them having an issue with that but am maybe going to push for one with the GP today and explain why! We actually already have the book you are talking about...not been able to read any of it yet but least it's in the house! xx

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MissMac hope you are feeling a little calmer - it is such a horrid shock and all you want to do is rectify it immediately. I had a similar experience where the doc told me over the phone and I had a wait several days for an actual appointment. Thank God for this forum! You will be fine, don't worry.
My tips: don't worry if you have a slip, everyone does occasionally (I have a sweet tooth too!). Another good book is Carbs & Cals as it gives you a good idea of what is good and bad and different portion sizes.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Not very nice to be told over the phone, it's so impersonal. Hope you get over the shock soon. And are able to decide how you are going to deal with it, regular testing is a good start. My doctor did not agree with it at first but soon saw the benefits but still would not prescribe a meter or strips. So you really have to push it if you want one on prescription though some doctors will do it with out argument.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@MissMac sounds as if you've got the right stuff to fight this. Takes time to find the new routines that are best for you and it will happen. You've done good just rolling up here. There are loads of good folk round here who will be able to give advice when you need it.
Wish you good.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now you are getting there and working out your direction of travel can I point you to my first 3 month story. It hopefully gives you some additional pointers. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/got-my-first-3-month-hba1c-results-this-morning.55719/

Andrew, thanks so much for sharing the above link to your story. I read the entire thread and particularly found the details you shared in posts #17 and #19 helpful. For those who arrive here newly diagnosed, and worse yet with very high blood glucose readings, the despair is so great. Type 2 diabetes stories such as yours validate again and again the power of lifestyle changes. :)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks @Winnie53 for the encouragement. I hope it helps @MissMac and other reading it. Although it was my personal journey it is interesting to see what worked for me as some of it may help others even if it is just encouragement

Reactions: 4 people

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see I am going to be saying thank you a lot in the next few weeks, but you cannot underestimate how having people who do not judge, are not bored by my talking about it and my fears, makes me feel. Yes I feel very alone but this has helped knowing you guys are all there and a wealth of knowledge too!
I have friends who are diabetic and spoke to them but unfortunately they seem to be of the mind that medication takes care of the sugars and they just eat what they want in the most part....I don't want to be that way....on the surface their results might seem better but we cannot see what is happening on the inside until it is too late and that is not a chance I am willing to take with my body. I also do not want to be and would be a fool for thinking I could be, one of those who dramatically changes everything and becomes the world's biggest health freak and eat nothing but oatcakes or something, that's no life as far as I am concerned though take my hat off to them for being able!
As for the partner....it's very much a stalemate this morning...he knew he had upset me because I had to take myself out the room while he was eating, just sat in the bedroom pretending to read and cried AGAIN! This morning he is being all gruff and dirty looks are being shot my way because I am sat on the laptop trying to wake up and he is mowing the grass! What he doesn't see is that he was snoring within minutes of going to bed and most the night I was awake and invariably...yup you got it...crying or feeling so sick!
I know once the mood/depression/shock etc etc eases off me a bit, I will be better able to make the changes and feel that I am not drowning in a sea of information that I cannot process. I am thinking of getting back in touch with my counsellor/therapist just to talk that side of things through in the hope the rest will then be easier to deal with, who knows.
So again, thank you from the bottom of my heart, you've all been so wonderful in such a short space of time xxxxx
I am/ was like you. I havent given up the sweet stuff... just swapped them for things which dont raise my bgl.

Berries are good! Have some with natural yogurt or double cream (nothing beats strawberries and cream!)

There are also low carb low/no sugar cakes, buscuits etc that you can make, i personally like the chocolate mousse which is quick and easy. And then top with blueberries and rasberries!

Eat more salads etc.

Sweet potato sends my bgl up so i swapped for swede which is fine... so swede chips crisps and mash as an alternative (sweet too) with loads of butter yum. (Sorry am fasting)

I make muffins using coconut and/or almond flour, same as carrot cake.

There are sugar alternatives.

As for breakfast, omlette a fry up with eggs, meat, beans!

Try the lchf diet which can reverse your diabetes... the first thing i did when diagnosed was see how to get rid of it... too impatient to wait for doc to tell me what to do and then found doc didnt KNOW what to do. Diabetes is the beginning not the end (unless you follow nhs guidelines) and you will find a new way of life where after your body gets rid of the sugar (which is more adictive than heroin) you will find that the flavours of foods you thought were bland are actually really amazing, you will find that the foods you didnt like you might actually find you like it!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi there @MissMac ,

Did I miss something, what happened with the quack?

MissMac

Hi back @urbanracer...not a lot, I did put another post out about it, was relatively positive and am gonna try and sort out the diet when I am on leave next week. I'm actually on a lunch break at work and to be honest am struggling as have just done one of my patient/review visit things and just feel I am not up to par, can't concentrate, feel hypo but BM still relatively high (though already under 11 which is significantly lower than my fasting one) so dunno what's going on. Considering going home as crying in the office is not my bag! xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@MissMac
I feel for you..
Its hard to take control yourself with diabetes when it does appear that the vast majority tend to just take the meds..
I actually have a huge, huge sweet tooth, and it took till I was 51 to try avocado and salmon and olives.. They are now the main part of my diet.. And yet I thought for over 50 years I hated them!
Our food likes and dislikes can be turned round.. Its very hard and support from a good counsellor is great.
I have had huge, huge support from a cancer therapist (who is coeliac) and has given me the best support ever with my eating etc beyond cancer. I also had a fantastic counsellor (after complaining about the 1st one).
With these two peoples help and also a fantastic gastro chap and diabetic consultant I am now just about able to come to terms with my limited diet. Mine is very limited!!
My food has turned out to be a bigger issue than my cancer.. I admit I have struggled.. But it can get better.. I have had to monitor my food, my poo, my meds, literally everything...but even tjough my consultants call me a role model they don't actually realise all the angst behind it...it was only when my cancer therapist spoke to my consultants that they have realised the impact it has all had on me mentally..

So, I feel for you hugely... But you are right to not just take medicines for the sake of it.... Trying to help yourself and find right foods etc for you is very important.

My partner (mainly since the cancer) has realised just how bad certain foods are for me and although its not C related he is 100% behind me and as he does the meals its important.

One thing hubby and I have learnt is "distraction" for me. When I go down mentally my hubby makes a point of getting me to do things. Today we went to a crocodile and ostrich farm... Next week Proclaimers.. He organises things to distract me. It doesn't make me feel normal in anyway as I can't eat out but taking a picnic somewhere with food and a drink I can have helps... He distracts me without actually me knowing it.. I do it for myself sometimes.. Ie adult colouring etc.. Purely because tjings I used to love like gardening and cooking and baking aren't enjoyable to me anymore..

You will find ways to cope with this diagnosis.. And other people and foods and meds...

Sending you big hugs, you will get there. I know you will, I can read it in your messages..

Its blooming tough at the moment but I can see you are a very strong person beneath the feelings you are currently having...

Perhaps you need a period of time away from work to help you adjust.... But you know there is huge support to you here...

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Best advise me and hubby ever had for "moods" from either of us was to sit opposite each other at a table and agree no one moves until resolved...
You never see board members, meetings taking place in bed or on sofas or floors or different rooms... Big decisions need to be made formal at a table. That includes explaining feelings, resolving differences etc.

Best advice we ever had. It must be sat opposite each other..

Few years ago when we had no downstairs as all the floorboards were up. I lugged a coffee table into main bedroom and we did sit opposite each other using that as a "board table" - may just be that tjis could be a technique to stop tears when feeling angst or needing support.

Other thing.. I'm
A person that needs hugs.. My hubby doesn't.. It wouldn't enter into his head that a hug would make my world right. Another tjing my cancer therapist told me to do was to actually tell him "I need a hug"... Now it is automatic from him... He recognises when I need that hug now... But I had to tell him initially.. Seems daft after being married for 20 years!!

Reactions: 6 people

MissMac

The biggest amount of hugs to you,
@MissMac
I feel for you..
Its hard to take control yourself with diabetes when it does appear that the vast majority tend to just take the meds..
I actually have a huge, huge sweet tooth, and it took till I was 51 to try avocado and salmon and olives.. They are now the main part of my diet.. And yet I thought for over 50 years I hated them!
Our food likes and dislikes can be turned round.. Its very hard and support from a good counsellor is great.
I have had huge, huge support from a cancer therapist (who is coeliac) and has given me the best support ever with my eating etc beyond cancer. I also had a fantastic counsellor (after complaining about the 1st one).
With these two peoples help and also a fantastic gastro chap and diabetic consultant I am now just about able to come to terms with my limited diet. Mine is very limited!!
My food has turned out to be a bigger issue than my cancer.. I admit I have struggled.. But it can get better.. I have had to monitor my food, my poo, my meds, literally everything...but even tjough my consultants call me a role model they don't actually realise all the angst behind it...it was only when my cancer therapist spoke to my consultants that they have realised the impact it has all had on me mentally..

So, I feel for you hugely... But you are right to not just take medicines for the sake of it.... Trying to help yourself and find right foods etc for you is very important.

My partner (mainly since the cancer) has realised just how bad certain foods are for me and although its not C related he is 100% behind me and as he does the meals its important.

One thing hubby and I have learnt is "distraction" for me. When I go down mentally my hubby makes a point of getting me to do things. Today we went to a crocodile and ostrich farm... Next week Proclaimers.. He organises things to distract me. It doesn't make me feel normal in anyway as I can't eat out but taking a picnic somewhere with food and a drink I can have helps... He distracts me without actually me knowing it.. I do it for myself sometimes.. Ie adult colouring etc.. Purely because tjings I used to love like gardening and cooking and baking aren't enjoyable to me anymore..

You will find ways to cope with this diagnosis.. And other people and foods and meds...

Sending you big hugs, you will get there. I know you will, I can read it in your messages..

Its blooming tough at the moment but I can see you are a very strong person beneath the feelings you are currently having...

Perhaps you need a period of time away from work to help you adjust.... But you know there is huge support to you here...
A big heartfelt cyber hug to you for all that you are/have gone through. For me, today was a positive day and I am feeling so much more in control and in charge which is a massive trigger for my mood. I adore the people who have been helping me since last week on here, a total mine of info and help and ideas and can honestly say that without all your support I would not be here...yes things really were that bad last weekend I am sad to say...but hey! If I, the biggest junk food eater ever can do this than anyone can...just hope when I start testing my sugars again that the diet is working else I know it will knock me for 6 again! Still...it's just today and like I say..today is a good one so let's just go with that! xxxxxxxxx

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@MissMac
You'll get there..think you've got a huge group hug from us all.
Won't be long and you'll be telling us "how MissMac triumphed!"..
Hope this weekend was better for you..
Xx

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Hi Jules,

If it helps I was diagnosed at 16.0 18 months ago - I had also suspected I might be Type 2 Diabetic but it was still a shock. All you are feeling is normal and yes it is a lot to learn and accept. I also have a very sweet tooth and I have gone over to sugar free sweets which although are not great they give me an option I need in my life.
I followed the NHS guidelines and even with medication I was not getting my levels down - I then 'dipped' a toe into the low carb high fat option and discovered it lowered the blood glucose levels - so I looked at doing it seriously - things are changing for me - glucose readings are coming into where my doctor wants them to be.
As for what foods - that is difficult I like you am a fussy eater - but I have discovered I can manage eating Natural Greek Yogurt (I used to hate yogurt) - I brought a 'syrup' that is sugar and calorie free from the web and that adds enough sweetness for me. I now eat it everyday for breakfast. Lunch for me is mostly salad - but can be a lump of cheese with a large piece of cucumber. Dinner has reverted back to the old meat and two veg type meal - any meat I fancy, a good mix of veg (limit on peas, sweetcorn) and usually 2 small new potatoes with gravy - not suggesting you do the same but wanted to give you some ideas.
I would add we are each individual and react differently to food and it was here that I got questions answered and support for how I was feeling.
It will be a case of making some changes for life but they can have a really positive effect - such as losing weight and feeling more alive.
Many people here have so much knowledge and experience - I am working my way through reading Dr Bernstein right now and I will take on board anything I can manage but have realised it has to be something I can manage as have a lot to deal with in life already as most of us do.

My thoughts are with you, hang on in there for the doctors appointment.
Best wishes

Shaydollar811

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@ MissMac u r no alone I have been in tears almost everyday but I will speak healing over my life and yours too. It can be overwhelming so don't beat yourself up this forum has helped me alot and I hope u can get the same support blessings...