The head cannot take this!

MissMac

Hi Jules,

If it helps I was diagnosed at 16.0 18 months ago - I had also suspected I might be Type 2 Diabetic but it was still a shock. All you are feeling is normal and yes it is a lot to learn and accept. I also have a very sweet tooth and I have gone over to sugar free sweets which although are not great they give me an option I need in my life.
I followed the NHS guidelines and even with medication I was not getting my levels down - I then 'dipped' a toe into the low carb high fat option and discovered it lowered the blood glucose levels - so I looked at doing it seriously - things are changing for me - glucose readings are coming into where my doctor wants them to be.
As for what foods - that is difficult I like you am a fussy eater - but I have discovered I can manage eating Natural Greek Yogurt (I used to hate yogurt) - I brought a 'syrup' that is sugar and calorie free from the web and that adds enough sweetness for me. I now eat it everyday for breakfast. Lunch for me is mostly salad - but can be a lump of cheese with a large piece of cucumber. Dinner has reverted back to the old meat and two veg type meal - any meat I fancy, a good mix of veg (limit on peas, sweetcorn) and usually 2 small new potatoes with gravy - not suggesting you do the same but wanted to give you some ideas.
I would add we are each individual and react differently to food and it was here that I got questions answered and support for how I was feeling.
It will be a case of making some changes for life but they can have a really positive effect - such as losing weight and feeling more alive.
Many people here have so much knowledge and experience - I am working my way through reading Dr Bernstein right now and I will take on board anything I can manage but have realised it has to be something I can manage as have a lot to deal with in life already as most of us do.

My thoughts are with you, hang on in there for the doctors appointment.
Best wishes
Thank you! Diabetic nurse tomorrow and I am gonna push for them to prescribe a monitor as it is in the NICE guidlines..I am nervous she is not going to be up to date but if so, I will just smile sweetly and nod and then just ignore!!! I'm not quite there with low carb but that was what this week was all about...today I went and saw my ole therapist and she is actually really pleased with me though I felt like a fraud as when I emailed her I was in SUCH a bad place and I am no longer there! So tomorrow after the appointment it is all research and shopping!!!! Good on you for your change as well, it feels nice to gain back some control doesn't it? xx

Reactions: 2 people

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes doesn't have to be an "All or Nothing" life change. I was diagnosed T1 in March 2016 and was completely ignorant and overwhelmed at first. I have learned a lot from the generous people who share their experiences, encouragement and advice on this forum. I realized quickly that if I adopted the "All or Nothing" approach I would fail miserably and give up trying to manage my diabetes. Instead, I have made some realistic dietary changes, monitor frequently and adjust insulin according to my levels and what I am doing and eating. At first it is difficult because you have to see how different foods affect your sugar levels and how insulin affects you. There are many variables such as exercise, which you will also get a better feel for. There is no perfect control, just better control. I tell myself that better control is better than no control and I am seeing significant improvements.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@MissMac

Never worry about feeling slightly better when you get to see your ole therapist...they do know life is ups and downs and they would be pleased that you were able to recognise that you needed help with emotions at that point...

My cancer/everything therapist knows I have good weeks but she knows that health issues and mainly some professionals cause me horrendous angst...

Important to give yourself "me" time...and partner time... My hubby recognises this so much now. Last Sat went to a crocodile farm in Cambridge... This weekend Old Hunstanton.. We've spent so much time on health issues, houses etc he took "distraction" techniques for me to a lovely time of him organising places to go.. We've rarely done that and it does take your mind off things.....especially as he will sort out food for us to take, so it will completely take the stress away from me thinking my eating is so limited...

Glad your weekend was better.... Xx

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
So....I have posted elsewhere but just thought I would try and ask.....I was told over the phone that I have diabetes after my fasting glucose was really raised and the more I read the more panicked I am becoming really! All I was told was to "watch my sugar intake and drink lots" until I am seen by the GP on Tuesday...totally helpful I don't think! Oh and also a "I hope I haven't ruined your weekend" well yeah, you have... I didn't plan on spending it in tears!
Anyway I digress, having done some reading (cannot handle too much just now) it seems my fasting hyperglycemia is above anything related to Type 2 or maybe I am just not understanding enough. The fasting was 15.9 and I had hardly eaten the night before so it was well over 12 hours of fasting...what are your thoughts? I am so not dealing with this at all, people are being great but I feel like I am in this little bubble of self hating at the moment (LONG story on that one).
Anyway, I would be intrigued to hear any thoughts from those of you who are not as pathetic as me!!!!
Thanks in advance
Jules xx
Don't worry too much, you'll still be around for a long time. I was a regular 20-30 mmol/l fasting after my initial HbA1c of 112 mmol/mol 6 years ago. Time, knowledge, reassurance, support and patience is what's required and don't waste calories worrying - it's pointless, take it from me. Take care and no doubt you'll get there ! :)

MissMac

Don't worry too much, you'll still be around for a long time. I was a regular 20-30 mmol/l fasting after my initial HbA1c of 112 mmol/mol 6 years ago. Time, knowledge, reassurance, support and patience is what's required and don't waste calories worrying - it's pointless, take it from me. Take care and no doubt you'll get there ! :)
That's amazing!! I had a bit of a despondent day yesterday...I guess because I am unable to check my sugars and the weight is no longer noticeable to me to be coming off..I was just like..this isn't working, this isn't worth the time. But I am gonna crack on :)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's amazing!! I had a bit of a despondent day yesterday...I guess because I am unable to check my sugars and the weight is no longer noticeable to me to be coming off..I was just like..this isn't working, this isn't worth the time. But I am gonna crack on :)
Thought of buying a meter ? I did to start with and just wanted to know how exercise and food reflected on my BGs. I know it's costly but the Codefree meter can be bought online quite cheaply. I'm on insulin now and get free stuff for my diabetes but do remember shelling out for strips n meters and was a pain but worth it. :)

MissMac

Thought of buying a meter ? I did to start with and just wanted to know how exercise and food reflected on my BGs. I know it's costly but the Codefree meter can be bought online quite cheaply. I'm on insulin now and get free stuff for my diabetes but do remember shelling out for strips n meters and was a pain but worth it. :)
It's on order and should be here Tuesday, I held off because I was hoping to convince the **** nurse to follow guidelines but she wouldn't so ordered a couple of days ago! Kinda looking forward to seeing what I'm at the mo and what is affecting me etc etc. I need something to boost me that I am doing it right x

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's on order and should be here Tuesday, I held off because I was hoping to convince the **** nurse to follow guidelines but she wouldn't so ordered a couple of days ago! Kinda looking forward to seeing what I'm at the mo and what is affecting me etc etc. I need something to boost me that I am doing it right x
Get going then lady lol. Personally I hate testing and I do it 4-6 times a day and think finger pricking is more painful than the insulin pen. Don't test every 5 minutes and get carried away lol, test before meals, fasting FBG in the morning and 2 hours after a meal as a general rule. :)

MissMac

Get going then lady lol. Personally I hate testing and I do it 4-6 times a day and think finger pricking is more painful than the insulin pen. Don't test every 5 minutes and get carried away lol, test before meals, fasting FBG in the morning and 2 hours after a meal as a general rule. :)
Yup that's what I am gonna be doing! xx