Snacks without insulin

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What snacks no portions can you eat without taking insulin ?
Nuts?
Avocado?
Olives?

What about protein?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! How's the insulin thing going? Have you gotten on basal yet?

I can have a slice of avocado or a few nuts or olives but if I have more than a few nuts I stay where I was and do t come down so I keep them very controlled.

allan2010

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The dietician told me to snack on anything up to 10g of carbs without insulin, and to keep taking snacks between meals.

I find that works and I need to eat something small about every hour. Snacks could be a piece of fruit, a snack bar, some chocolate, a couple of oatcakes etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

JenniferG

I'm too carb intolerant to ever consume any refined carbs, grains, roots or fruits other than berries. Personally: Above ground non-starchy veggies are always great snack choice. 1/4 avocado is as well. Nuts and berries in moderation. Hard boiled eggs are wonderful snacks for me. Olives are great snacks as well. Maybe some cream cheese spread inside some ham or roast beef then rolled up? Occasionally, maybe a few times per week, a lil natural peanut butter (no added sugars) inside a celery stalk. Etc..

Reactions: Freema

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The dietician told me to snack on anything up to 10g of carbs without insulin, and to keep taking snacks between meals.

I find that works and I need to eat something small about every hour. Snacks could be a piece of fruit, a snack bar, some chocolate, a couple of oatcakes etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
10 grams of carbs would raise me about 70 mg / dl. No way.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm too carb intolerant to ever consume any refined carbs, grains, roots or fruits other than berries. Personally: Above ground non-starchy veggies are always great snack choice. 1/4 avocado is as well. Nuts and berries in moderation. Hard boiled eggs are wonderful snacks for me. Olives are great snacks as well. Maybe some cream cheese spread inside some ham or roast beef then rolled up? Occasionally, maybe a few times per week, a lil natural peanut butter (no added sugars) inside a celery stalk. Etc..
Me too. No carbs. Protein either. Just fat like avocado. Gotta watch nut portions too. Mayo and lettuce or celery works. Unfortunately I need insulin for eggs or any protein. I LOVED cream cheese roll ups but dairy is no longer my friend. Gotta bolus as well.

Are you on insulin?

JenniferG

Me too. No carbs. Protein either. Just fat like avocado. Gotta watch nut portions too. Mayo and lettuce or celery works. Unfortunately I need insulin for eggs or any protein. I LOVED cream cheese roll ups but dairy is no longer my friend. Gotta bolus as well.

Are you on insulin?

Just curious, why isn't dairy your friend anymore? I wonder if this would happen to me? Loved dairy all my life and still eat a lotta cheese.

I love mayonaise as well, but the tasty kind I've been getting is made with soybean oil which is both refined and omega 6 rich. I need to find a different mayonaise from a healthier store. I want one made with pure olive oil if I can.

Regarding insulin: I am 27 stone (379 lb) and supposed to be eating a 2400 calorie diet to lose 2 pounds per week. If I eat 2400 calories, 50g a day in carbs and about 120g a day in protein, I have to inject about 45 units a day of insulin to keep my sugars around 5.2 to 6.4 mmol/L (95 to 115 mg/dL) all day.

However, if I eat only 1600 calories a day in a 6 hour window (intermittent fasting), and about 30g net carbs 100g protein, I don't need to inject any insulin to maintain 6.1 to 7.5 mmol/L (109 to 135 mg/dL) all day.

I've just started 23:1 intermittent fasting at 800 to 1000 calories a day, with about 20-25 net grams of carbs and 70g of protein. I plan on doing this for a couple weeks or so. I am hoping I'll achieve 4.7 to 5.9 mmol/L (85 to 105 mg/dL) all day with this few calories, carbs & protein--along with no insulin injections. I'll keep you posted.

I used to take Metformin as my only diabetes medication -- I've been off of that for 1 1/2 weeks. No more chronic diarrhea. No more diarrhea at all rather. A bit of constipation now... working on consuming more salt, water & veggies.

EDIT: darn I realize I am in the 1.5/LADA sub-forum.. my apologies! I'm type 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just curious, why isn't dairy your friend anymore? I wonder if this would happen to me? Loved dairy all my life and still eat a lotta cheese.

I love mayonaise as well, but the tasty kind I've been getting is made with soybean oil which is both refined and omega 6 rich. I need to find a different mayonaise from a healthier store. I want one made with pure olive oil if I can.

Regarding insulin: I am 27 stone (379 lb) and supposed to be eating a 2400 calorie diet to lose 2 pounds per week. If I eat 2400 calories, 50g a day in carbs and about 120g a day in protein, I have to inject about 45 units a day of insulin to keep my sugars around 5.2 to 6.4 mmol/L (95 to 115 mg/dL) all day.

However, if I eat only 1600 calories a day in a 6 hour window (intermittent fasting), and about 30g net carbs 100g protein, I don't need to inject any insulin to maintain 6.1 to 7.5 mmol/L (109 to 135 mg/dL) all day.

I've just started 23:1 intermittent fasting at 800 to 1000 calories a day, with about 20-25 net grams of carbs and 70g of protein. I plan on doing this for a couple weeks or so. I am hoping I'll achieve 4.7 to 5.9 mmol/L (85 to 105 mg/dL) all day with this few calories, carbs & protein--along with no insulin injections. I'll keep you posted.

I used to take Metformin as my only diabetes medication -- I've been off of that for 1 1/2 weeks. No more chronic diarrhea. No more diarrhea at all rather. A bit of constipation now... working on consuming more salt, water & veggies.

EDIT: darn I realize I am in the 1.5/LADA sub-forum.. my apologies! I'm type 2.
No worries Jennifer! I was going to ask what kind of D you have because I couldn't stop insulin ever. Good you can.
Dairy? Intolerant. I can eat a little here and there but not a regular. I don't buy it cause I'll eat it. It also causes massive cravings for more. Biggest, goes right to my bum. No chewing required. If I go to a party and eat cheesy food I gain 3 pounds over night. It always makes me insulin resistant as well. My insulin doesn't work as well for about three days. So I keep it as an occasional treat and in small amounts

Mayo. I am a mayo junky haha. Sorry to say but I don't think you will find one made with just olive oil and if you do it will be very bitter. I used to make my own but could only use about 1/3 EVOO or it was discusting. I would then fill in with other oils like walnut or almond. It's easy to make but I found one that is awesome. Not sure where you're from but better than Helmmans. It's made with non GMO expeller pressed canola oil. Free of gluten, dairy and eggs. No fillers. It's called Just Mayo by Joy. Spectrum makes a decent one to with canola. I know what you mean about soy oil. I would at least get the organic soy ones as they have to be non GMO and without pesticides

Calories. I don't buy the calorie thing. I eat about 1000 cals a day, sometimes more sometimes less ( doesn't include alcohol calories ) If I ate 1000 cals in grains and dairy I would be huge and sick. If I eat 1000 cals of 20 g carbs in salad veggies, 4 oz quality protein and an avocado and some mayo and a few nuts and seeds as snacks I would maintain my weight. I also don't believe you have to eat enough calories to maintain the weight you are at if you need to lose weight. I do believe you have to eat enough protein for muscle maintainence and repair but not to maintain fat. My body thrives on ketones. I do eat 80% fat diet but I don't need to lose fat. If I do I cut back on fat ( protein is low enough or I would cut back on that too) but still keep my 20 carbs or less and my 4 oz protein. If I wanted to gain weight I would up protein and fat. I am 5'8 and 125# s. 4 oz of protein seems to be enough for maintenance as I have t lost muscle tone.. They say most adults only need 4- 6 oz divided into 2-3 meals.
I used to love fasting. I would eat lunch around 1-2 and dinner around 6. I ate normal meals of a salad or some some veggies with olive oil or mayo based creamy dressing and a few ounces 2-3 of protein at each meal. Occasionally a FEW nuts in between or cold broccoli with mayo. I didn't count calories. I think that IF would be great for you as it has lots of other health benefits. I also think staying under 1200 cals would be good if you want to count cals. That being said I do believe where the calories come from is more important. For fastest loss as well as helping insulin sensativity I would cut out all grains and dairy. I would eat only above ground low carb veggies, a set amount of protein and fill the rest with healthy fats to satisfy. Avocado is an awesome filling unprocessed fat. I eat one a day. This is what I would do but I'm sure others will have their own opinions.
Good for you for taking control! It's always nice to see people taking their health into their own hands. Good chance you could get off meds too. Would t that be nice?

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferG

Thank you for the reply. I am not big on calories either.. Just restricting carbs really. And not eating too much protein either. I eat lots of above ground non-starchy green vegetables, fish & meats.. moderate nuts & berries (small amounts really). Rarely small amount of various legumes.

I didn't know that about dairy.. it causing insulin resistance. All the dairy I eat is very low carb zero to 1g per serving. Basically just cheeses, sour cream, heavy cream.

Thanks for that info on that Mayo, sounds healthy. I love mayo! :) To be honest I don't eat as much mayo as I used to and it probably doesn't hurt me to eat a little omega-6 rich mayo here and there I guess. I eat plenty of wild caught salmon and flax seeds & walnuts to make up for it I guess. I might look into an omega-3 supplement as well.

This is the second day of my 23:1 intermittent fast. I am eating 800-1000 calories in a 1 hour window. 20-25g net carbs, 60-75g protein, and the rest healthy fats. I got an avocado sittin' on the window seal now. I think I'll split that with my boyfriend today. We are also going to have a steak (medium rare) with freshly steamed & buttered asparagus along with a small green side salad dressed with organic apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I wish you the very best in your continued management of your type 1 diabetes. (I have Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution so I know a bit of what you have to go through each day -- I used to do calculated basal doses, and calculated bolus doses using insulin-to-carb ratio and calculated corrective doses uses in the insulin-to-glucose ratio.)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dinner sounds delish! And perfect

How's the fasting going? Is is hard? It does get easier but I never went that long!

For some reason dairy is very insulinogenic even being so low carb. Nobody can explain why yet as far as I know but it does create a large insulin spike

gilliananne7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very confused by this thread. Doesn't snacking or not depend on what insulin regime you are on? I snack on what I want when I feel like it and have had no advice not to. I'm on a mixed 2 a day injection regime.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very confused by this thread. Doesn't snacking or not depend on what insulin regime you are on? I snack on what I want when I feel like it and have had no advice not to. I'm on a mixed 2 a day injection regime.
I'm on bolus/ basal insulin. No idea how mixed insulin works but the majority of my bolus is gone within two hours so anything with carbs or protein I would need another bolus.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

What type of diabetes do you have? Type 1/LADA, I'm presuming?

We're all different and different things can affect us. Some carb snacks I bolus for but sometimes I need a snack without a bolus. The measure is my blood meter

Occasionally, particular insulin regimes or particular kinds of insulin do require 'compulsory' snacks. Do what suits you :)

allan2010

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I snack between meals and was advised to eat anything up to 10g carbs without injecting. A couple of biscuits, a piece of fruit, half a snack bar etc. But we are all different.

gilliananne7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What type of diabetes do you have? Type 1/LADA, I'm presuming?

We're all different and different things can affect us. Some carb snacks I bolus for but sometimes I need a snack without a bolus. The measure is my blood meter

Occasionally, particular insulin regimes or particular kinds of insulin do require 'compulsory' snacks. Do what suits you :)
Thanks

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have to dose fir snacks. So they're not really snacks, but mire small meals.

Much better not to snack.