What do you miss most from being diabetic

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I miss eating as much carbs as I can without thinking - pastries, cakes, ice cream, juice, fruits, potatos, etc.. Also without refusing stuff from friends who try to give me some, well-meaning of course, they just don't know

Oh well, I'll just think that I at least had the chance to enjoy them for 50 years ...

As for gear, I leave it at home, I only test once in a while, and so far its has been predictable.

I can't leave blood-testing kit at home, same for insulin as I'm T1 (since age two and a half) so I don't much remember 'before' except being dragged past Easter eggs in shop windows. I monitor carefully, so kit is vital. Think yourself lucky, I guess!

Last edited by a moderator:

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my LCHF diet, and don't want to go back to the old carb laden diet.
My only little miss is when we visit the seaside,.. Chips and then a Mr Whippy icecream with a flake.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
agree with @noblehead
spontaneity :(

but also the worry about the future as well.......................

Reactions: Freema

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
I miss eating as much carbs as I can without thinking - pastries, cakes, ice cream, juice, fruits, potatos, etc.. Also without refusing stuff from friends who try to give me some, well-meaning of course, they just don't know

Oh well, I'll just think that I at least had the chance to enjoy them for 50 years ...

As for gear, I leave it at home, I only test once in a while, and so far its has been predictable.
Hey, I'm exactly with you on this. I've had 50 years of "freedom", and now have to consider anything I'm offered to eat and mostly say no to, where in the past would have wolfed a macaroon bar in seconds with nibbles and probably not so healthy eating at meal-times. Do you ever question what might have been more tolerable, as Tanni35 mentions?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The convenience of just being able to whip something up quickly or grabbing whatever I like from the shop without thinking about carbs.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't eat with spontaneity and have to always remember carbohydrates, especially for the dinners outside home and special occasions. And eating freely fruits directly from the trees without thinking about it.
I miss sweets like the Nutella or Figs marmelade, the Pastiera Napoletana and somesuch

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
Me also --type 1 for 54 years!!
Me to I've had it for 47 years and have always ate a very good diet even when I got it at 16 i hardly ate any bad food we didn't have all the **** people eat and drink now think we had sweets once a week now all you see is kids eating **** and drinking rubbish all day long

EBT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't miss any thing as I just have a little of what I fancy life's to short not to

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Different things at different times but right now a Melton Mowbray Pork pie with chutney and a fresh warm . I was in the supermarket earlier and one jumped up and said "Buy Me". I felt quite pleased with myself that I resisted temptation.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love carbs all my life and having diabetes has made me count carbs and think twice about what I eat. I miss chocolates, pastries and pies and most of all fruits. I am glad I had many years of enjoying them but now it is payback time. I still enjoy them but in very little portions once in a while.

Jo123

Cereal, loved no sugar muesli, loved beans on toast, but hey ho plenty of things I can eat and enjoy