1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What do you miss most from being diabetic

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by borderter, Jul 23, 2016.

1. MarcoRiveira

MarcoRiveira Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It never occurred to me. But now that you mention it, I think I would not want to have had it from young. But if I had it, I'd probably think differently.

Well, I bought some egg tarts for my kid, and could not resist one, then it became two *argh*. Succumbing to such small portion temptations, give me a raise of about 0.5, temporarily. I am allowing myself these days such luxury, not often of course, as I feel I have good readings in general.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Munkki

Munkki Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was the same type of difficult foreigner in the Middle East, eating Mutabbal, Labneh and tiny amounts of Hummus with vegetables and cutlery LOL

What do I miss mostly? Does my nickname give a clue? Munkkis are delicious, sweet Finnish buns with cardamon. I miss dark sourdough bread and baked cheesecake. I sometimes try little corners of things, snatching them from friends' plates, but the normal cakes do not taste good anymore. However, I will make a low carb cheesecake soon :hungry:

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. oopsie

oopsie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Cheese on toast, Cheese & crackers, Garlic bread with cheese.. (just call me an ex mouse) :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Pollylocks

Pollylocks Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A bowl of creamy mashed potato..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I have cheese on toast quite often with low carb bread not a lot of carbs to speak of in most hard cheeses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MissMac

MissMac · Well-Known Member

I am sure I saw a garlic bread recipe on diet dr...nothing to stop you adding cheese...have a look!

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I made this last night. Will have the first slice today. Very interested to see how it turns out...
    http://www.momlovesbaking.com/low-carb-strawberry-cheesecake/

• Like Like x 2
  8. Welshman1952

Welshman1952 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hmm .. what do I miss? Sleeping after meals, incessant toilet stops through the night, being constantly thirsty, guilt about my portions, hiding sweet wrappers, driving in winter with all the car windows open to get rid of the smell of chips. So do I miss anything really? Nah .. and as for treats I'd much prefer a new camera lens to a year's supply of custard slices

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. jenrose

jenrose Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think it would be easier if I could eat as much fruit as I would like to, also if I could eat salad vegetables instead of just beetroot and tomatoes which is down to the IBS as well.

• Hug Hug x 1
  10. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I miss the days of ignorance - it was bliss!
    I'd come to terms quite quickly that I was never going to be thin.
    Walking around with bgs 20+ with ignorance of symptoms up until I was 32yr old.
    Thrush, thirst, carb craving and tiredness was normal. My normal, I'd had it in different severities for 26yrs prior.
    I was so very very lucky. I know that.

• Like Like x 2
  11. loiphamp

loiphamp Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I miss all carbs I can eat

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I still eat what I want it's just that what I want has changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chris Thailand

Chris Thailand Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What do I miss? Not so much really as I work on the realization that I can eat whatever I want, tomorrow.
    And that works for me.
    That said, I do sometimes take myself up on that and splurge but, most times, waiting until tomorrow works just fine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Samael_Coughlan

Samael_Coughlan Type 1 · Member

I'm a grazer, I snack all throughout the day. People joke I could never be a gynaecologist because I eat whatever's in front of me. What I wouldn't give to do that without worrying.

• Like Like x 2
  15. AmandaD

AmandaD Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't really miss anything I've been a type 1 so long I don't really remember a time without insulin. I still eat what I like most of the time and bolus accordingly. I still have treats but even if I wasn't diabetic they'd still be just occasional treats....

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Diamattic

Diamattic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I agree with you OP. I miss being able to push myself :/

I used to be able to just get on a bike and ride as long as I wanted, with the only worry being the weather. Now I have to carry so many supplies, and begin prep so far in advance it takes out much of the fun.

I used to be able to disappear for days on end, sleeping at friends houses, going on spontaneous trips, but now it takes much more planning and forethought.. it makes me feel like I have been put on a leash... I can't event work late unless i plan to and bring enough food with me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. ElkBond

ElkBond Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Diamettic

I don't know what career you have but for me I have a few bottles of coke, a pack of dark choco digestives and other assorted treats in my desk drawer. I have put a glucogel in the first aid worst case and I know if I work late and completely run out, there is a Costco Size bag of sugar I can place my face into (worst worst case scenario).

While my diet hasn't changed that much (it seemed I wasn't a treat/ carb fiend initially) I miss just going for what I fancied, the prep and should I risk it thoughts ruins the moment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. David_A_Hughes

David_A_Hughes Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Toast, for breakfast. (sigh)

• Like Like x 1
  19. DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Crisps and fresh bread.

20. Sauron

Sauron Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am so new that as of yet have not been missing anything but am sure that will change

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook