1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What do you miss most from being diabetic

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by borderter, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Probably the only thing is ice cream - but it's something I had serious self-control issues with and removing it from my life has probably been a very good thing. I certainly don't miss feeling like I had no energy all of the time.

2. KevinPotts

KevinPotts Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fish & chips and beer:) not touched the first in over 5 months only dabbled with the beer at Twickenham whilst watching a game last Saturday and my stomach spider for it later:)

3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I concur with you, spot on.

4. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I sometimes miss some of the things I haven't eaten since diagnosis > 4 years ago such as normal bread, rice, pasta , pizza , crisps , potatoes and chips! I found blood sugar to be uncontrollable when eating the aforementioned. I think I'd miss my eyesight, kidney function and limbs a lot more..........

• Like Like x 1
  5. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

I miss eating a whole liter of walnut-cream/icecream..... :nailbiting: and eating lots of caramels

#85 Freema, Sep 7, 2016 at 11:27 AM
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  6. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same here , but I don't miss this :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Queen_bee1

Queen_bee1 Type 1 · Newbie

As a fairly new T1 (less than 3 years) and 55 when diagnosed, I miss a load of thing but I feel I shouldn't moan about this as at least I do remember what it's like to not have it (or is that worse?) unlike many, including my brother, a veteran T1 of 50 years. I think the thing I miss overall is the freedom to not have to see every meal and morsel of food as a complex mathematical puzzle. That definitely takes away the enjoyment at times. The other is being able to leave the house without having to do loads of checks to make sure I haven't forgotten anything, insulin, snacks, test kit,....etc. It's worse than having a small baby's kit to cart around! (that WAS a long time ago).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jonny jibbs uk

Jonny jibbs uk Type 1 · BANNED

What do I miss..... Life

• Hug Hug x 1
  9. Keesha

Keesha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ditto. We all feel the same way as you do. You are not alone and I hope this makes you feel better.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bogusman

Bogusman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The hungry feeling I used to get in my stomach when I was starving! :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. hansolo

hansolo Type 1 · Active Member

Miss the carbs. I lived on bread/pasta/rice dishes and managed to couple that with beer (ale) by exercising plenty. Being diagnosed T1DM at 41, it has been hard to suck up but I cannot imagine how I could have coped in my 20s. I would certainly have had complications by now, given the advances in technology that I can now enjoy compared to the early 90s and the fact I was very compulsive (as well as a little naughty!).

• Like Like x 1
  12. lynn007

lynn007 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I miss everything nice...

13. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

14. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

a very fine strategy

15. paganlass

paganlass Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Toast, pasta, rice, bread, jam, noodles. 8 weeks since diagnosis and I'm soo fed up already. Lost a stone but I don't like food anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DerbyDave

DerbyDave Type 2 · Newbie

I miss not being able to simply eat something when I am hungry when I am out of the house and I miss being able to walk/do my job without the constant agonising pain in my feet.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DerbyDave

DerbyDave Type 2 · Newbie

I feel it. I am almost frightened of food I have such unpleasant reactions to some of it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Neohdiver

Neohdiver Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What I miss: Homemade whole grain bread and time.

• I've had about 3 slices of fresh warm bread from my bread machine since October 2, spread over 4-5 sittings (less than a slice at a time, to keep the carbs low enough so I can safely eat it).
    • The time I invest in food preparation is time I really can't afford to lose - but from a health perspective I can't afford not to invest it.

What I don't miss at all (all vanished post-diagnosis & tight BG control):
    • Constant fatigue
    • Constant foggy brain
    • The 70 extra pounds I've been carrying the past few years
    • Tasteless fast food (or fast food made "tasty" by the addition of chemicals, sugar, carbs, and unhealthy fats)
    • That breast cancer tumor I wouldn't have found, but for kicking the 70 extra pounds to the curb
    • The fatigue and skin ulcers I would likely have had from radiation (at my former weight) due to fat rolls creating constant skin-to-skin contact and radiation hot spots.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. _lyn_lyn_1963

_lyn_lyn_1963 · Guest

I was pre diabetic and it was caught early so I miss nothing and have gained my health, that's a small price for me to pay as I had lots of health problems but now I am good as new, only through diet I have transformed my life. Wish my mum could of learnt about her diabetis but she did not have the Internet and only Drs and I did not know how to help her.

• Like Like x 2
  20. paganlass

paganlass Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Derbydave I feel ur pain and neo hider I also understand ur "don't miss" also. Diabetes is a cruel master.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook