Type 1 Feel like I'm having a constant hypo

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else felt like they're always having a hypo?
I've felt 'odd' for a couple of weeks now. And I'm not just getting the feeling after high bg. (I know that after long periods of highs u can feel hypo on a normal bg.

I get the feeling when my bg is anything between 5 and had it when my bg was recently 15.
Not liking this feeling as I feel like I'm constantly testing bg's suspecting hypo.
The only thing I suspect it may possibly be - is I am suffering with sinusitis at the min. Has anyone else ever suffered with the constant hypo feeling over a few weeks?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did. This may not pertain to you at all though. I believe mine happened when I was taking too much insulin and needing to eat so I wouldn t go low. It SEEMED that my bs and insulin were bickering and I always felt off. I only eat about 5 carbs per meal. Just a lettuce wrap with protein and a few celery sticks, radish slices and some avocado. I need more fat than anything at meals or I feel funky but also to not over do it. The avocado has been a godsend to keep me flat. My meals are all the same macros , 80 fat, 15 protein and 5 carb. The. I use the same bolus and know where I'll end up. There's something in avocDo that stops my drops and slows and lowers any spike. It seems to act like a bridge.

Not sure if that helps. Not sure what your diet is either. For me keeping insulin lower balances me but of course we need to cover our food with enough.

Edited by a mod to avoid confusion

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never tried avocado - will have to give it a try!
I just feel odd all of the time - I guess it could be something similar to u. I have recently lowered my basal rates as I was getting constant night hypos and really bad erratics.
The erratics aren't anywhere near as bad now and the night hypos have stopped completely - but I still feel odd (maybe I'm just an oddball lol)

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get it when my endometriosis flares up. It's so annoying and distracting because I feel like I can't relax/focus on anything! Thank goodness I have the Libre to scan or my fingers would be in terrible shape!! Thankfully it only ever seems to last 24-48hrs.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've felt 'odd' for a couple of weeks now. And I'm not just getting the feeling after high bg. (I know that after long periods of highs u can feel hypo on a normal bg.

I get the feeling when my bg is anything between 5 and had it when my bg was recently 15.
Not liking this feeling as I feel like I'm constantly testing bg's suspecting hypo.
The only thing I suspect it may possibly be - is I am suffering with sinusitis at the min. Has anyone else ever suffered with the constant hypo feeling over a few weeks?
I have been feeling like this too... super tired now! Every time i stand up i feel faint, laying down the room spins! My blood sugars rose yesterday for no apparent reason... stayed in the 7s all day without eating though day before was 3s and 4s! Today i am back to 5s and 6s though super hungry. I dont know if i am coming down with something not used to being ill. Not sure if it is stress as i do feel like this with stress. At least the head ache is gone now.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have exactly that feeling at the moment @Tanny35 - at the end of the week before last I began to feel low all of the time, and I was testing, testing, testing - all fine.

Then my need for basal insulin suddenly rose dramatically and I realised I'd been going down with something - sinusitis, in fact. Am now just over halfway through a course of antibiotics for it, and I'm still feeling hypo all the time. But actually I'm not hypo - it's just that for me, feeling poorly feels the same as feeling hypo....

And I've felt like this for over a week now - am hoping that the final three days of amoxicillin kick the infection!

Hope you feel better soon, @Tanny35 - sending a virtual hug!

:)

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been feeling like this too... super tired now! Every time i stand up i feel faint, laying down the room spins! My blood sugars rose yesterday for no apparent reason... stayed in the 7s all day without eating though day before was 3s and 4s! Today i am back to 5s and 6s though super hungry. I dont know if i am coming down with something not used to being ill. Not sure if it is stress as i do feel like this with stress. At least the head ache is gone now.

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling like I need to eat and faint/weak feeling.
Glad it's not just me tho!
Hope yours goes soon

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Weirdly, I felt this today. Had my lunch and normal bolus, then felt like my blood sugar was low, tested and it was 8.2.

I think mine is due to having a headache. When I go low I get a kind of tingly feeling on my head and I think the headache is tricking me by replicating this. It could be similar with sinusitis.

Never assume though. It's always sensible to test.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never tried avocado - will have to give it a try!
I just feel odd all of the time - I guess it could be something similar to u. I have recently lowered my basal rates as I was getting constant night hypos and really bad erratics.
The erratics aren't anywhere near as bad now and the night hypos have stopped completely - but I still feel odd (maybe I'm just an oddball lol)
So many things to do with avocado. Need ideas I'd be happy to help.

Thinking about this, do you fluctuate much? When I fluctuate, even small amounts and within my target of 85-100 I feel odd, like crawling out of my skin.
Avocado really helps that because it keeps fluctuations very small. However it could also be my VLC diet helping. That being said, NOW I eat small meals and take small (1/2 unit) with them an feel much better. How low can I go on 1/2 unit? I found my meal size and macros that 1/2 unit covers but it took awhile. I couldn't stand feeling that way and hated to eat because ' I knew it was coming' after taking insulin. I think you have to find meals and the right insulin dose to keep you from fluctuating. Avocado may be part of your answer. I can snack on a little or some nuts without insulin. It's almost all fat and fiber, very little protein or carbs so not much it to raise bs. I also found too much protein can make me feel that way. I think getting insulin there at the exact same time as your food is the answer but a very tricky thing to do especially if you eat random meals. Each macro comes in at different times

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Kristin251 and @Tanny35 Dont forget that the timing of boluses is very important too. Getting that right as well as the correct insulin to carb ratio can help tremendously.

But in this case it seems @Tanny35 isnt actually going low. If your sinuses continue to play up, it may be worth a trip to the doctor or chemist because anything that makes you feel low when you're not is very frustrating.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 and @Tanny35 Dont forget that the timing of boluses is very important too. Getting that right as well as the correct insulin to carb ratio can help tremendously.

But in this case it seems @Tanny35 isnt actually going low. If your sinuses continue to play up, it may be worth a trip to the doctor or chemist because anything that makes you feel low when you're not is very frustrating.
Very good point on timing! Even bolusing 5 min before eating and eating SLOW ( not always easy for me) helped a lot.
I wasn't going low, or too low, just fluctuating within range.
Some days are just bad days and we don't feel well, low energy etc and it sure does feel like a hypo but it's not ALWAYS diabetes. There are rainy days and sunny days.

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hello! Funny you should mention sinusitis... I have felt exactly the same with this before as its like you're disorientated with you passages being blocked and feeling a little dizzy! I have also felt like this with labrinthitus but it's all head/ear/sinus related! It's not nice, but maybe see your gp if you haven't already, if it's been going on for a couple of weeks they may check over your sinuses and medication for it! It is horrible... I feel a bit like this at the moment, but mine's called being pregnant! Ha X X X

Reactions: 4 people

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the advice. :) I tried to get in to the docs this morning but was unsuccessful - but will try and get in this week.
The disorientated feeling is spot on! It's horrible - because it does feel like a constant hypo.
Will see my doc and hopefully they will give me something! Altho usually my doc lets u suffer for around 6 months before doing anything about it Grrrrr

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope you get sorted soon.

Have you tried steaming, with or without Olbas oil or similar? It's not helped to shift anything (yet) for me, but it might be worth a try to ease some of the 'bung' and resulting spinny-ness.

(Although it's not working for me, it's what lots of people have recommended, so I feel duty-bound to pass it on - LOL!)

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you get sorted soon.

Have you tried steaming, with or without Olbas oil or similar? It's not helped to shift anything (yet) for me, but it might be worth a try to ease some of the 'bung' and resulting spinny-ness.

(Although it's not working for me, it's what lots of people have recommended, so I feel duty-bound to pass it on - LOL!)

Yeah - try this every night in the hope it might help lol (we can live in hope right)?
But so far I've been steaming with olbas oil and eucalyptus, I've used Vicks and everything there is available on the shelves! And i still feel as odd as ever.
Think I now feel odd more than I feel normal, so when I start to feel normal - that will feel odd lol!
Hope ur not suffering too much :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try twice a day @Tanny35 I used to get sinusitis after every cold until I started doung the steaming. I just use plain steam and put a towel over my head, breathe in slowly and stick it as long as I can, usually 5 to 10 mins.

It takes a few days, I've found.

knackered

If you have any problems with your sinuses I would recommend Neti pot nasal irrigation. It sounds gross but to be honest it isn't in fact when you actually try it. I suffer from hay fever and sinus problems and it sorts me out every time and leaves you nasal passages feeling fresh, soothed and clear. Look it up, its been a godsend for me. I also found that Olbus oil etc tended to irritate my sinuses and actually make things worse over time so I stopped using that kind of thing also, they do nothing to clear an infection or irritant.

Steve.

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have any problems with your sinuses I would recommend Neti pot nasal irrigation. It sounds gross but to be honest it isn't in fact when you actually try it. I suffer from hay fever and sinus problems and it sorts me out every time and leaves you nasal passages feeling fresh, soothed and clear. Look it up, its been a godsend for me. I also found that Olbus oil etc tended to irritate my sinuses and actually make things worse over time so I stopped using that kind of thing also, they do nothing to clear an infection or irritant.

Steve.

I will look in to this. I broke my nose a few years ago and ever since I have suffered with sinus problems. Was unsure if this would cause the odd/hypo/weird feeling. But it appears it could do.
Will deffo give this a try though, thank u

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Tanny35. I experienced something similar earlier this year year. I work in quite a noisy environment and I started feeling hypo whenever I was at work, light headed, shaky eye's and that empty feeling. On maybe the 2nd or 3rd day the noise of the machinery was really getting to me. I decided to put some earplugs in and within 10mins the hypo symptoms abated. Continued with the earplugs for a few weeks then everything went back to normal.
I guess I could have had something going on in my ears or sinuses, they're all connected after all.
Sorry can't offer anything else. Good luck at the doc's.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Steve.
Ooooh, you've just reminded me of the Sterimar seawater nasal spray - same principle - going to dig it out if it's still in date - had forgotten all about it! Thanks!