Induction or planned c section

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi ladies, I don't know how to put this into words really....but feeling deflated that i doubt I am going to be able to go full term and go into labour naturally, I know this is for the safety of the baby, but will I be given the option to pick induction or planned c section? Any advice or tips would be great, as I really didn't want to be induced

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
What makes you think that you won't go full term?

Natural is what I'm keeping my fingers crossed for but, yeah, whatever is recommended is baby's and mama's safety. Just have focus on the end game. A beautiful baby in your arms!

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have a choice! If I go before 38 weeks I can go naturally but I won't go past 38 weeks I will be having a c section at that point! My consultant doesn't agree with pumping more hormones into type ones... I guess he has his reasons?

I have had one c section and I didn't actually mind it! It wasn't as bad as I thought, it was planned so there was no emergency and panic about it and chances r I'll be having another one! It's not the worst thing in the world, I can't really comment on inductions because it's not an option for me... But as @Postitnote and yourself and said its whatever's safest for u and baby? X X

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
You'll find quite a few threads on this. Whether you're given the option will depend on the hospital, position of the baby etc. No it will not be a unmedicalised birth but it can be a positive experience. The reality is that birth is unpredictable and anything can occur. All you can do is remain positive, mobile and ensure you have good support. My 1st was an induction ending in emergency csec, the next 2 were vbac unassisted.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
@Sarahkylie88 the most likely reason you can't be induced is because you've had a csec already. Once you've had one the induction drugs risk rupturing your uterus.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ladies, I don't know how to put this into words really....but feeling deflated that i doubt I am going to be able to go full term and go into labour naturally, I know this is for the safety of the baby, but will I be given the option to pick induction or planned c section? Any advice or tips would be great, as I really didn't want to be induced

IF there are no other reasons, an induction is better than a C section. A section is major abdominal surgery. Obviously, it's an incredible thing if it's needed or recommended for some reason, but if it's a straight choice then I'd go for an induction every time. And that's coming from someone who's not a fan of induction : D

Every woman reacts differently to inductions. It's a 'pushed' birth in that you're psuhed into labour earlier than you'd go into it naturally, but it can still be a natural delivery.

I'd also add that induction triggers labour for some women - that is, it can push start a natural labour. You won't be able to know how it'll go until it happens, but the same can be said of all labours, induced or not.

I think maybe you're feeling that induction will steal,your idea of a natural,birth? It won't - only if you let it. You can still be in control and you can still have a good birth experience :)

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders

@Finley02 Don't feel deflated to start with. I had the same thought process as you did to start with and the more I researched the more I wasn't keen on being induced. With the support of my amazing obs I am now 39+3 and still looking at going natural and spontaneous like any other "normal" pregnant woman. I have to say my diabetes has been controlled very well throughout pregnancy and I have always said if baby has to come out for some reason then so be it but if there is no medial reason then I'd like to wait for baby to make the move.
Have a chat with your team and see what they can offer in terms of monitoring towards the end. I know some hospitals don't offer anything extra like CTGs, scans etc but I am in every other day now (which makes my hospital feel like a 2nd home already lol) but I don't mind as long as I can avoid an induction. Good luck! xx

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
I am also concerned about this! I don't really want a csec unless necessary, but have read how much harder an induced labour is as all your hormones are not in the right place and I am worried whether I will be able to cope. I don't know whether it is better just to go for a planned csec as safer than an emergency one.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am also concerned about this! I don't really want a csec unless necessary, but have read how much harder an induced labour is as all your hormones are not in the right place and I am worried whether I will be able to cope. I don't know whether it is better just to go for a planned csec as safer than an emergency one.

That's something you can discuss with your OB. Induction does slightly raise the risk of a section, but it varies from woman to woman. Also, often it's clear that induction isn't going as well as expected so a section can then be planned - that is, it wouldn't be an emergency.

A vaginal delivery is generally considered best for both mother and baby unless there are reasons why this isn't possible or sensible.

Childbirth is unpredictable - for every woman. I know it's a pain that women with diabetes have to worry about things even more, but I think it's wise to remember that ANY woman can need a section.

Induction is a nuisance but please don't think it's awful or is all destined to go wrong. That's not true. My last pregnancy was high risk (other issues as well as the diabetes) but even then my OB stressed that an induction was best. If you or any woman have any concerns or questions, do speak to your OB and midwife. Sometimes in hospital antenatal units you can get the impression that you're 'abnormal' because you have diabetes and that you're going to turn up and other people will be taking total control of your labour and you'll just be on the sidelines.

That's not true. A diabetic labour can be just as empowering and wonderful as any other, so please don't let worries steal the joy from it.

Reactions: 2 people

Elc1112

Hi Finley,

I was induced at 38 weeks. His was based on the doctor's recommendation. I didn't ask if I had the choice of a planned section as I honestly wanted to avoid one if I could. I went in to be induced and, unfortunately, even after three pessaries and a sweep, my little girl showed no signs of wanting to come out! I was the. Given the choice of resting for a couple of days and trying again, or having a c section. I chose the c section. Recovery has, so far, been no where near as bad as I feared, though it is only day 10.

My consultant he recommended induction at 38 weeks, but it would have been my choice if I wanted to wait a bit longer. My baby was growing well, and was showing no signs whatsoever of being distressed. Don't be afraid to ask questions. It's your choice at the end of the day. Understand the risks and implications and make your choice from there.

Likewise, if you're not happy being induced, talk to your consultants. They don't seem to offer c sections likely but they will take on board your concerns and do what it right for you and the baby.

I wish I had asked more questions about the induction. I would have preferred a vaginal birth but, if I could go back, I would have asked more questions about the induction process and its effectiveness at 38 week. I was unlucky to have no change whatsoever after three pessaries and 38 hours. I did get quite upset at the time, but t was all worth it in the end :)

Em x

Reactions: 2 people